1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nycwallst, Jan 20, 2010.

1. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Yeah shoulders are weird and it's not great... it's still much better than anything I've seen indochino make.

2. otakueric

otakueric Member

Not to zombie this thread, but has anyone else recently ordered a suit from MT?
    I just got my first shirt from them and I'm very impressed and am considering a suit.

3. SuitsandBoots

SuitsandBoots New Member

yeah, Does anyone have and recent experience from the suits with this retailer? how they compare to modern indochino, or even A&B?

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Shoulders can be smoothed but the alteration done locally would cost as much as the suit.

5. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

If you got what you ordered exactly then good for you. From my point of view, the suit was constructed really well. And I like the tie too.

6. ancdmd

ancdmd Active Member

7. J_Quinn

J_Quinn Active Member

Getting married in January 2013. After bouncing back and forth between Modern Tailor, Indochino, and Black Lapel, I decided to take a chace with Modern Tailor, based on price vs customization options. I have never ordered a MTM suit before.

They don't offer Tuxedos so I asked them if they could make one, a black suit with satin lapels, trouser stripe and satin jacket buttons. They said they would for an extra $50. The customer service is great, very accommodating. They gave me a $50 voucher towards a shirt right after I placed my order.

I spent hours going over the exact clothing measurements I thought were appropriate. I told them I was concerned about the measurements being tampered with, so they told me to enter a request that my measurements be followed exactly, especially the armhole. I asked for other things like lighter shoulder padding and having the waist buttons in line with the jacket waist, and 3.75" lapels. When they finished the jacket, they actually sent me pics to show me they followed my measurements (didn't show show the measuring tape on the armhole but it looks like they obeyed)

I already saw some problems in the pictures they sent me... I selected functional boutonniere, but they forgot it entirely. I mean, there's no boutonniere period! Pretty lame and annoying, but not the most catastrophic error they could make I suppose. Second, the pictures showed a white lining in the jacket. I seem to recall asking for a red poly-satin lining, cuz it cost me an extra $15, so if they left it out I will be asking for some type of compensation. Third, they added satin to the chest pocket welt, something I did not ask for, and is strange considering they don't offer tuxedos to begin with but somehow knew to follow the cheap-tux format of satin pocket welt. The pocket is also more than 50% covered by the lapel. I know I asked for wide lapels, but it didn't even cross my mind they would place the pocket more than halfway behind it.

To their credit, they put the satin buttons. Before placing the order, I inquired about the buttons and they confirmed it was doable, but when I actually placed the ordered I left em out cuz I was afraid I'd overwhelm them with special requests. They still added em, however it may be due to the aforementioned tux-format they followed when making the pocket welt satin.

In short, I should have the suit by Nov 12 - 16 and I shall post my review! I also ordered a regular blue shirt, the 1st-time customer fabric.

It's a DB peal lapel, high-rise, straight-leg. Pretty classic.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. mrmiles5

mrmiles5 New Member

I reviewed this forum when considering buying a MTM suit from Modern Tailor and found it very helpfull so I though since I got a lot of good advice from the comments I would write a little bit on my experience.

I oredered my suit about a month ago and my suit arrived today, and for the price it really was quite satisfactory. I have a suit made by Zegna that was tailored to fit me and if that is a 10 out of 10 I think it is fair to say this is about a 7. But hell for the price I will take it any day of the week, it really isnt so bad, deffinatly wearable it looks great on me. The only reason I would say its not as good as the good tailors that you acctually go and see is the fabric isn't top of the line but for 300 bucks you can't go wrong.

I would STRONGLY suggest you give them a try!!! I love the suit

9. RTenenbaum

RTenenbaum Active Member

Has anyone had a problem with their shipping tracking number? My order was shipped about a week ago but the shipping number comes up as invalid when I try to track it.

10. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

^ It's the carrier they use. Once is gets into fedex hands the tracking number will work.

11. virginiaguy38

virginiaguy38 New Member

I recently ordered 2 suits from modern tailor and so far the experience has been terrible with their customer service. The pants that I ordered fit perfect. The jacket however was huge! They add 10 cm to their regular fitting clothes. So if you measure yourself be sure to expect a much looser suit. I spent 800 bucks on two suits that are just sitting here and can't even get them altered here because of the amount of fabric they have to remove. I contacted their customer service through email. Sent them photos. And I got one reply from them and have not heard back from them in over a week after I sent my reply. Seems as though once they have your money they don't care about pleasing you any further. I'm very dissapointed with this place and think I will be reporting them to PayPal and going to start shopping with indochino.