• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackgibbs
can anybody tell if the bunching/twisting in the shoulders and sleeves is a construction issue, or could it be explained by the provided measurements? overall, I think it looks pretty good, but I feel like I should point out that all the 299 fabrics (with the exception of the pudding stone gray) are wool/poly blends. the website FAQ says that any fabric labeled 'wool' is a blend, and any fabric labeled 'pure wool' is well pure wool.

It looks like there is some twisting in the sleeve, which I believe is an issue with how it was sowed on at the sleevecap. The bunching looks like it is a result of the sleeve pitch being off (i.e., the angle that the arm hangs at). I would imagine that is a very common problem with online MTM suits.

For the money, this looks like a very good result. I will consider referring my friends who need inexpensive suits to ModernTailor.

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
I should also add that I really dig the pattern on your shirt. Interesting choice, especially with that fabric.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
It looks a lot better than many suits costing 10 times as much.

Lets not get crazy
smile.gif

Basically, it looks like he got what he paid for, an ill fitting, $329 chinese fabric suit. I would venture to say that if he spent $400-$500 at one of the many outlet/B&S sales, he'd look a lot better and get a better quality suit The jacket on this suit is a mess, shoulders/sleeves/back vent. the pants are rather clownish, particularly from the knee down. not sure where the Op is located, but I'd rather save some cash and use someone local for $700-$800 MTM if he wants to go the MTM route or again, look for something from RL, Brooks, Canali, etc on sale.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
can anybody tell if the bunching/twisting in the shoulders and sleeves is a construction issue, or could it be explained by the provided measurements? overall, I think it looks pretty good, but I feel like I should point out that all the 299 fabrics (with the exception of the pudding stone gray) are wool/poly blends. the website FAQ says that any fabric labeled 'wool' is a blend, and any fabric labeled 'pure wool' is well pure wool.

"8. What's the difference between "Wool" and "Pure Wool"? What's an Anglo Saxon Wool?
"Pure wool" means that the suit fabric is made of 100% wool, produced from high thread count 150s and 180s yarn. A "Wool" fabric is composed of polyester and wool blend. This is produced from 110s and 120s yarn. The "Anglo Saxon Wool" is made of high quality Australian yarn thus making the wool expensive"

also, +1 on the buttons. they look super cheap.

I think the sleeve issue is a result of construction. Where the shoulder and sleeve meet just doesn't roll. It is bunched up and creates a sort of hump.
I agree on the buttons and I wish they had an option for button upgrades like they do for shirts.

Originally Posted by krish88
the buttons are an easy fix imo -- I asked them about horn buttons and basically they couldn't even confirm on yes/no, but for just going out and buying 13 buttons @ like $2 ea and labour it's $30 to replace them all. Not ideal having to pay that much, but still, having a solid suit for <$400 seems worth it to me (I'll be going for the pudding grey one soon hopefully)

Maybe if more people order then they will add a button upgrade option like the shirts.

Originally Posted by Mata_Leao
It looks like there is some twisting in the sleeve, which I believe is an issue with how it was sowed on at the sleevecap. The bunching looks like it is a result of the sleeve pitch being off (i.e., the angle that the arm hangs at). I would imagine that is a very common problem with online MTM suits.

For the money, this looks like a very good result. I will consider referring my friends who need inexpensive suits to ModernTailor.

I agree with the pitch being off. It doesn't feel or like like a twist issue, but more of a materials and construction problem. I didn't expect to get a Brioni...

Originally Posted by Mata_Leao
I should also add that I really dig the pattern on your shirt. Interesting choice, especially with that fabric.

That's a MT shirt as well. Grey and white checks. Fabric # O14

Originally Posted by edmorel
Lets not get crazy
smile.gif

Basically, it looks like he got what he paid for, an ill fitting, $329 chinese fabric suit. I would venture to say that if he spent $400-$500 at one of the many outlet/B&S sales, he'd look a lot better and get a better quality suit The jacket on this suit is a mess, shoulders/sleeves/back vent. the pants are rather clownish, particularly from the knee down. not sure where the Op is located, but I'd rather save some cash and use someone local for $700-$800 MTM if he wants to go the MTM route or again, look for something from RL, Brooks, Canali, etc on sale.

Wow, so every tailor with a brick and mortar shop that does MTM gets it right every time? I knew what I was ordering and didn't expect a miracle, but I'm happy with the result after a few tweaks. You know, just like I would have to do if I went to a brick and mortar shop for in process fittings and final alterations.... I wouldn't get a better fitting suit with an outlet or sale rack. I tried that route and I end up dropping another $75-100 in alterations to the jacket and pants getting the damn things to fit decent. The jacket fits exactly like a $329 online MTM jacket should fit on the first try. Not perfect but still better than any OTR altered suit I have in my closet currently. The pants are clownish below the knee because of my physique. I have 31" waist,23" quads, and 16" calves so getting slim fitting slacks that have a modern taper that are comfortable to wear all day long is quite the chore. Again, this was the first try and if I give it another go I will alter the pants some more to get more of a taper.

Overall I'm happy with the result. This suit has it's drawbacks but not everyone has the income to splurge on a $700-800 MTM and that is why there are price-points for all consumers.

penguin vic

Reaction score
the website FAQ says that any fabric labeled 'wool' is a blend, and any fabric labeled 'pure wool' is well pure wool.

"8. What's the difference between "Wool" and "Pure Wool"? What's an Anglo Saxon Wool?
"Pure wool" means that the suit fabric is made of 100% wool, produced from high thread count 150s and 180s yarn. A "Wool" fabric is composed of polyester and wool blend. This is produced from 110s and 120s yarn.

WTF? That's downright misleading.

Originally Posted by edmorel
Lets not get crazy
smile.gif

Basically, it looks like he got what he paid for, an ill fitting, $329 chinese fabric suit.

Yes, it's 10 times better than the suits on the Indochino trainwreck thread but it's not a great suit. Maybe put it down to it being the OP's first shot with Modern Tailor but it's certainly not that good a result, especially for MTM.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I think it looks fine for the price. It's not Brioni obviously, or even Hickey Freeman. For 330 bucks you'd be hard pressed to really compete. I think there is an argument to be made that you should just save your pennies and get something MTM locally that is a little better quality (assuming we are talking 800-1000 and not 3000).

I have been considering the idea of giving modertailor a shot. I think the shirts are a safer bet than the suits though.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
WTF? That's downright misleading.

Yes, it's 10 times better than the suits on the Indochino trainwreck thread but it's not a great suit. Maybe put it down to it being the OP's first shot with Modern Tailor but it's certainly not that good a result, especially for MTM.

I wasn't following that Indochino thread. Holly trainwreck Batman. I feel really good about my choosing MT now.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
MT followed up in less than 24 hours letting me know they would reimburse me up to $75 for the minor alterations needed.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo
CIMG2307.jpg

CIMG2309.jpg

CIMG2310.jpg

If I decide to try again, for my next order here are the alterations I was considering:
1/4" reduction in shoulder width.
1" reduction in waist.
1" increase in width of bottom of jacket (hips).
1/4-1/2" reduction in sleeve width.
3/4-1" reduction in pant cuff.
1/2" reduction in width at knee.
1/4-1/2" reduction in thigh.

Thoughts on these tweaks?

viator

Reaction score
I would not make your right sleeve any shorter than it is now, but I would make the left sleeve match.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I would not make your right sleeve any shorter than it is now, but I would make the left sleeve match.

I already addressed this in my original post. I forgot to adjust my measurements and tell them that my left arm is shorter than my right in my order notes.

Originally Posted by penguin vic
Lower button stance too?

Personal preference. I requested that button stance based on a jacket I already own. I may lower the top button by an inch but haven't had a chance to wear the suit yet and get a feel for it with this particular jacket.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far, from what I've seen of Modern Tailor's suits, they leave Indochino's for dead, faults and all.

dv_indian

Reaction score
I think that if ModernTailor started the traveling tailor thing could they become a smashing success.
Does anyone else think so?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads