Modern Tailor Custom Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nycwallst, Jan 20, 2010.

1. unjung

unjung Senior member

yes we're talking about modern tailor.
    they didn't invent anything under the sun. they simply use resources available.
    they're based in a first tier chinese city (shanghai,beijing,guangzhou,shenzhen) most probably.

Awesome. Any of us could have guessed everything you said. This is relevant to the original thread because...

2. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

yes we're talking about modern tailor.
    they didn't invent anything under the sun. they simply use resources available.
    they're based in a first tier chinese city (shanghai,beijing,guangzhou,shenzhen) most probably.

Take it easy, man.
    Nobody's saying ModernTailor suits are anything special; there are literally dozens of online MTM sources, and few of them are based in Savile Row or Milan for that matter.

In fact, this thread mainly exists in order to evaluate the ordering process as well as the quality of ModernTailor suits according to empirical evidence, ie people who have received their suit.

Your speculations and general musings are interesting (at least to me), but are kinda taking the thread off-topic. Why don't you start a new thread with your thoughts about the industry and the
    dangers and opportunities it faces through competition from emerging markets?

3. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

Less talk, more pics.

4. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

5. click here

click here Senior member

Just pulled the trigger for a charcoal 2 button peak lapel, I'll post pics when the suit finally comes in. [/url]

Please do. Really interested to see the results.

6. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Just pulled the trigger for a charcoal 2 button peak lapel, I'll post pics when the suit finally comes in. Also, has anybody checked out their cufflinks recently? I just came across this...

https://www.moderntailor.com/pub/pd....=&id=1180&all=

People outside of 'the west' really have no clue about them relating to Nazism. They're a sign of auspiciousness in India and Asia. Having been to India I've seen them everywhere.

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

People outside of 'the west' really have no clue about them relating to Nazism. They're a sign of auspiciousness in India and Asia. Having been to India I've seen them everywhere.

Exactly. The below is quoted from Wikipedia:

The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. It occurs mainly in the modern day culture of India, sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. It remains widely used in Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.Though once commonly used all over much of the world without stigma, because of its iconic usage in Nazi Germany the symbol has become stigmatized in the Western world, notably even outlawed in Germany.

It's an age-old symbol still widely used in countries and cultures that simply do not know (or care) about Nazi Germany.

8. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

Anyone get their suits from MT yet? Curious about the feedback.

9. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

Martin, thanks for taking the time to post your pictures.

For the rest who have ordered their suits or are considering ordering their suits from MT, am I the only one who thinks their jacket sleeve buttonholes are very sloppy?

10. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Can any of you who purchased these suits post pictures? Thanks

11. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Below is the response I received from the Modern Tailor forum when I posed a questioned concerning their suits.

#3 (permalink) 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
    Emma
    Administrator Join Date: Sep 2009

ModernTailor Suit - Fit Guarantee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.
    If it's your first time to order ModernTailor suit, please order our suit swatches Just put a note that you'd like to order suit swatches so you can have a feel of the material we use.

When you get the suits after a couple of weeks and think that the fit needs alterations, please have it altered in your own local area. Once you have the measurements that you think is perfect for you (as advised by your tailor), then please make another order on our database. We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE

Emma
    ModernTailor Customer Service

"We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE"

I don't get it . . . Does this mean the second suit is free, or does it mean they will send the second suit POSTAGE-FREE (i.e. they pay for shipping, not you)??

??????????????????????????????

12. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Second suit does not cost a dime and you can pick another fabric in the same price range. So if you bought a SB notched lapel and had minor alterations, send those alteration measurements to Modern Tailor, you could order a DB peaked lapel suit in another fabric in the same price range!

Why haven't I pulled the trigger on this yet?!?!?!?!?!? Oh ya, I waiting to see more pictures of their suits. You would think they would have a suit showcase like they do for their shirts.

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

A suit is 80% fit. So I'm not sure what a showcase could tell you. If the quality of their shirt photography is anything to go by, I guess you might be able to tell the quality of the button holes but that's basically it. Instead, let this thread be a showcase of the suit with its owner inside. Who wants to take the plunge [​IMG]?

14. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Second suit does not cost a dime and you can pick another fabric in the same price range. So if you bought a SB notched lapel and had minor alterations, send those alteration measurements to Modern Tailor, you could order a DB peaked lapel suit in another fabric in the same price range!

That's impressive.

It sounds too good to be true.

15. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

Just pulled the trigger for a charcoal 2 button peak lapel, I'll post pics when the suit finally comes in. Also, has anybody checked out their cufflinks recently? I just came across this...

https://www.moderntailor.com/pub/pd....=&id=1180&all=

Did you ever get your suit? We all want to see some pictures!!