• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

nycwallst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Who did you use for the 3200 suit?

Modern Tailor is offering basically two suits for $300. Let's look at this logically. That is about 7 yards of fabric, about 20 buttons, 3-4 yards of lining, the innards, plus the manufacture. If you do the math, you can make a pretty strong conclusion about the quality of materials and of the construction.

edmorel -- I used Bhambi's across from Barney's. His clients include Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, John McCain, Jean Georges, and many Fortune CEOs & HF managers. He knows what he's doing, but damn, it's expensive!

$3200 bought me 2x pants and 3-piece suit in basic navy, and about 130 thread count. Lifetime alterations.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst
edmorel -- I used Bhambi's across from Barney's. His clients include Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, John McCain, Jean Georges, and many Fortune CEOs & HF managers. He knows what he's doing, but damn, it's expensive!

$3200 bought me 2x pants and 3-piece suit in basic navy, and about 130 thread count. Lifetime alterations.

Bhambis is good for alterations, that's it. Also, don't get caught up in the supers number for fabrics, it's basically meaningless. You can get a quality suit in NYC for $1500 or so, once you know what you are looking for. No offense, but it does not sound like you know what you are looking for. I would hang around here, look at the WAYWN thread, see what brands/style you like and then get a tailor that can make that. My first suggestion is to search for threads about WW Chan, he is an HK based tailor that visits NY and will make you something much better than Bhambis fir half the price. There is also Mr. Ned and L&S Clothing, among others.

nycwallst

Reaction score
Bhambis is good for alterations, that's it. Also, don't get caught up in the supers number for fabrics, it's basically meaningless. You can get a quality suit in NYC for $1500 or so, once you know what you are looking for. No offense, but it does not sound like you know what you are looking for. I would hang around here, look at the WAYWN thread, see what brands/style you like and then get a tailor that can make that. My first suggestion is to search for threads about WW Chan, he is an HK based tailor that visits NY and will make you something much better than Bhambis fir half the price. There is also Mr. Ned and L&S Clothing, among others.

I am relatively new to bespoke tailoring, but I do know exactly what I want made for me. It's a Tom Ford suit (picture below). Do you think Mr. Ned would be able to do this for me? If not, who would be most appropriate and at what approximate cost?

chris-evans-tom-ford-suit-05.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Short answer is no. Tom Ford suits (made by Zegna) have distinctive shoulders that mr Ned won't really be able to replicate. You can have them do a slim suit with big lapels, oversized flaps on the pockets and get a similar look, but not exact. Chan might be able to get you close to that look.

nycwallst

Reaction score
Short answer is no. Tom Ford suits (made by Zegna) have distinctive shoulders that mr Ned won't really be able to replicate. You can have them do a slim suit with big lapels, oversized flaps on the pockets and get a similar look, but not exact. Chan might be able to get you close to that look.

What is it about the shoulder that is difficult to replicate?

To be honest, I wouldn't need it to be exact to Ford's specs -- I just like the wide, bold, peak lapel; thick pocket flaps; ticket pocket; bold patterns and very slim fit. I'm sure that beyond the shoulder issue, all of this is possible.

How about the fabrics at Mr. Ned? Would they even compare to Ford's (i.e., the one in the photo, which is similar to what Bergdorf carried for F/W '10)?

Martin Syb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
PLEASE!!!!, post pictures regardless of how you think it looks. Did you give them specifics as far as lapel width, 2" cuff, etc.?

No, I didn't give specifics for lapels or cuff. I've hesitated in asking 5cm cuffs but finally decided to keep them manage this point (a local tailor can change it easily i think if wanted). I've just added some notes in the dedicated field to precise my measurements (some made from real pants) and feeling about what I was waiting for different parts (sleeves, pants). The less easy to measure i guess is crotch as it depends on where you want the waist to stop...

After my order they emailed me to have some more precisions as knee and inseam measurement (crotch too). They told me that the lead time is the same as shirts or pants so 21days included shipping (I generally receive my shirts faster - two weeks max - except when local holidays).

jdldore

Reaction score
Is the guy in the picture wearing shoulder armor? He is not an animal!

columbia92

Reaction score
I just placed an order to buy a suits from moderntailor.com for attending a wedding. I'll post info and pictures once I receive it.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Has anyone got there suits yet? I want to order, but would like to get your feedback. I did notice that Modern Tailor has added several new shirt collar options.

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Has anyone got there suits yet? I want to order, but would like to get your feedback. I did notice that Modern Tailor has added several new shirt collar options.

+1 - i want to hear about the quality of the fabric and service/delivery time

Martin Syb

Reaction score
I've reveived mine last week. No time to do a complete feedback sorry.
I wore it one time to test and this is some words about it :

First : time to delivery :

Order : 19/01 - Production : 21/01 (after some questions by mail from MT) - Shipped : 27/01 - Received : 03/02. Fast no ?

Measurement and understanding of my requirement are very good. No error from MT that did a good job. I need to adjust some little things but the suit is wearable without problem for me.

General quality : very good for a 299$ suit.
The fabric chosen is a first price, so hard to say it is a Loro Piana like fabric but the navy blue is great. (this fabric is no more offered).

Tailoring is not high end but is not bad at all, except the Milanaise buttonhole that is not always regular and should be improved, especialy on lapel. The jacket looks like being at least half canvassed but it's hard to be sure without dismantling it.

I did not choose a special lining so I have the standard one that is black for my navy blue fabric. The same lining is used for whole jacket, even inside the sleeves. I would like more choice in option of lining color. Actual choice is quite poor imo. Sure that MT will improve this quickly.

Pants cuff (i did not give any specification except having them with cuff) is 4cm.

For a first try I'm favorably surprised by the result. I will order again as soon as I will be more sure of little adjustments I want.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They say their suits are fully canvassed. Do you guys believe that?

nycwallst

Reaction score
Can you send photos of the suit being worn, as well as closeups?

Martin Syb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst
Can you send photos of the suit being worn, as well as closeups?

It is planned.
I will try during next week, no time for the moment
confused.gif

For Canvassed or not purpose, what I can say is that it looks like being canvassed. But impossible to be sure without dismantling the jacket.
laugh.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Syb
It is planned.
I will try during next week, no time for the moment
confused.gif

For Canvassed or not purpose, what I can say is that it looks like being canvassed. But impossible to be sure without dismantling the jacket.
laugh.gif

There are ways to check to see if the jacket is canvassed or not. First, try to gently pull apart the fabric above the breast pocket. If it feels like there is an independent layer in between, it's at least half-canvassed. To determine full canvassing, try the pinch test below the bottom buttonhole. If there's a third layer there, it's full canvas. But, it's not cut and dry.

Source and more info: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=65638

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads