1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shazeh, Sep 5, 2009.

1. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I have been debating the wisdom of using MT for higher quality fabrics. I'm not knowledgeable about what makes good shirt construction, but I don't get the impression that MT shirts are made using the best construction methods. But I do like their sales!

2. jessis

jessis Senior member

Check out nialma.com - they use Thomas Mason as their "black label" and if you do the 4 for 3 it works out to be little more than $110.00 per shirt. You can get one sent out in advance to make sure you are happy with the fit/cut/fabric etc- MT seems a bit steep in comparison...

Last order I got free thick MOP buttons too.

Let MT handle the low end fabrics and go for other webtailors for the higher end construction and detail. I have been using these online guys for a while and have had my ups and downs!!!

agreed, nialma for the 4 for 3 is best value at the higher-end. But their Premium fabrics are also great value - Italian I think. mytailor not bad either. buttons, stitching, turnaround time, service are very important - anyone can buy sheets of expensive fabric:)

3. jcriswel

jcriswel Senior member

Looks like I've got the fit this time. Next time I'll probably shorten the sholders 1/2 inch and lengthen the sleeves 1/2 inch. I might make the armholes smaller too. The fabric is thin but really beautiful 200s thread count. I have not washed the shirt yet.
    I think you have it here. The fit looks great to me. It's difficult to tell how perfect the fit is with an iNet photo. If you say you need a tweak here or there, I'm sure you're right on the money. I would suggest you wear a T-shirt with a shirt as thin as the one in your pics. It's perfectly fine to go for a thin fabric with a high thread count. If you want to wear this shirt in a hot/humid climate, it will be ideal. Regardless, you should wear a T-shirt under it to avoid the problems with transparency.

4. dbskhater

dbskhater Member

hi, I'm trying to get myself into the MTM world and saw Modern Tailor as a really good source. I was wondering if someone could PM me a $20 voucher so that I could try out a shirt before making any decisions to get a whole batch of shirts. Thanks

5. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

I don't know if the $20 thing is working anymore, the bunch they spit out was last December. You can email their customer service and ask about a first-time voucher, they're fairly accommodating with that sort of thing.

6. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

You could try the style20 coupon or simply email customer service. Explain you're a member here, how you heard about them, and want to give their service a go and whether they could provide a voucher. The gift vouchers were originally from around Thanksgiving/Christmas so they might not work anymore.

I asked them for a suit voucher in February and they gave me a $50 discount on a sportcoat even though that offer was from back in October, although I've been a repeat shirt customer.

Give it a shot...

7. raybert

raybert Well-Known Member

Signed up and ordered a shirt for my father the other day. The styeforum20 coupon has expired. I ended up using "8couponsmoderntailor" for $10 - which pretty much pays for standard shipping for 1 shirt.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

Anyone able to report on results of laundering these shirts, ideally professionally? Any shrinkage? A friend of mine did his own and said he did it in warm water and tumbled dry with no ill effects, but I'd like a little more support for his experience.

9. onix

onix Senior member

Anyone able to report on results of laundering these shirts, ideally professionally? Any shrinkage? A friend of mine did his own and said he did it in warm water and tumbled dry with no ill effects, but I'd like a little more support for his experience.

I washed mine in warm water, dried in medium heat, it shrunk noticeably (for example, arms were shorten about 3/4 inches)

10. phxlawstudent

Haven't had any noticeable shrinkage on mine. Wash cold, dry for 30 minutes on low.

Sleeves may have shortened a little, about 1/4" on 32" sleeves. But they seem to be pretty decent at calculating in the shrinkage factor.

11. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

I wash mine in warm water and put in the dryer for about 10 minutes on medium heat before pulling them out and ironing and haven't noticed any significant shrinkage.

12. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

I have three Modern Tailor shirts, 2 herringbone and 1 twill. They are of different ply's and thread counts. I have not seen any shrinkage among the three. They each have been laundered at least four times. I did have a MOP button break after the first washing on one of the shirts. I e-mailed a picture to Modern Tailor only to advocate thicker MOP buttons. They said they have bought the buttons and they will be available by the first week in March. They also gave me a $10credit towards another purchase (I didn't ask for the credit, but I'll take it).

13. bmf895

bmf895 Senior member

I have three Modern Tailor shirts, 2 herringbone and 1 twill. They are of different ply's and thread counts. I have not seen any shrinkage among the three. They each have been laundered at least four times. I did have a MOP button break after the first washing on one of the shirts. I e-mailed a picture to Modern Tailor only to advocate thicker MOP buttons. They said they have bought the buttons and they will be available by the first week in March. They also gave me a $10credit towards another purchase (I didn't ask for the credit, but I'll take it).

If true, this is great news. However, I'll believe it when I see it. They were supposed to be available the first of February.

14. phxlawstudent

First week's almost over... wheres the buttons!!???

Lol, I'll believe it when I see it.

15. viator

viator Senior member

I just live chatted with Modern Tailor. They said they use preshrunk fabrics and that they follow your shirt measurements exactly. However, they said if you like, you can leave a note to allow for shrinkage.

That said, what have people had the best luck with? Leave a note or not?

16. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Senior member

I just live chatted with Modern Tailor. They said they use preshrunk fabrics and that they follow your shirt measurements exactly. However, they said if you like, you can leave a note to allow for shrinkage.

That said, what have people had the best luck with? Leave a note or not?

i had emailed them about shrinkage and they replied, "For the shrinkage and tolerance, we follow international standards for this. It is usually less than 3% of the fabric or about +/-0.5inch to +/-1inch."

i had also emailed them about a voucher since this would be my first order and i missed their winter one- customer service gave me a $20 off voucher for my first order......

they've been very helpful so far and as soon as i get my measurements in, i will be placing my first order.........i plan to use the expedited production ($5 extra) and expedited shipping ($8 extra) so that my time from ordering to receiving should be about 8 days- from what they told me- compared to 21 days normal time.....anybody else use the expedited production and shipping?

17. unjung

unjung Senior member

i had emailed them about shrinkage and they replied, "For the shrinkage and tolerance, we follow international standards for this. It is usually less than 3% of the fabric or about +/-0.5inch to +/-1inch."

i had also emailed them about a voucher since this would be my first order and i missed their winter one- customer service gave me a $20 off voucher for my first order......

they've been very helpful so far and as soon as i get my measurements in, i will be placing my first order.........i plan to use the expedited production ($5 extra) and expedited shipping ($8 extra) so that my time from ordering to receiving should be about 8 days- from what they told me- compared to 21 days normal time.....anybody else use the expedited production and shipping?

I've found order to delivery time to be less than 21 days... I don't mind a bit of a wait.

18. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

I've found order to delivery time to be less than 21 days... I don't mind a bit of a wait.

I've gotten shirts as quick as 10 days with the most being 18 days on multiple orders. I live in the midwest.

19. jobro

jobro Senior member

Ive had shirts delivered to Perth within 5 working days (over a working day) to about 8 working days. Any delays longer than that period were from them 'showcasing' the shirt but shipping time still fell within the bracket.

20. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Senior member

Hm, ok seems that I won't need to do the expedited process then. Saves me some money [​IMG]

I'm going to place my order next week, so we'll see how that goes [​IMG]

Anybody place orders just for the suit pants? Are the measurements right on? How do you feel about the pants material and cut?