• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

jbharris88

Reaction score
Bluebonnet,

Severely reduce the bicep and arm width to match the rest of the shirt.

Reduce arm length to kill bunching.

Suppression looks fine, but you need to achieve this without darts in the back, get a slim fit shirt. Also, kill the pocket, they only serve to disproportion everything else. What is the point anyway?

meok

Reaction score
Just got the black trial shirt. Good fit from the get go, though the black fabric is a bit a irritating on the skin like no other shirt I know. Hopefully that goes away after a wash.

The "classic medium" collars' points float off the shirt by quite a distance when unbuttoned (and slightly so buttoned). It's as if someone has installed a shelf around my neck. Would this be fixed by a smaller back height on the collar?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Questions on measurements.

Half waist - does this already account for the darts in the back? For example, on my existing shirt, the measurement is 41cm WITH darts. Should it be the same for Modern Tailor? (or should I add about 4cm that would be taken out by the darts?)

How much should I add to account for shrinking? 1cm to the sleeves? 1cm to the collar?

Thanks.

evilbananas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Questions on measurements.

Half waist - does this already account for the darts in the back? For example, on my existing shirt, the measurement is 41cm WITH darts. Should it be the same for Modern Tailor? (or should I add about 4cm that would be taken out by the darts?)

How much should I add to account for shrinking? 1cm to the sleeves? 1cm to the collar?

Thanks.

I'm almost positive the half waist should be measured with the darts; the other way wouldn't produce a shirt that's a copy of your original.

Every measurement on my latest 100% cotton shirt shrank around 1/4" after the first wash. This may of just been the fabric I chose though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
Every measurement on my latest 100% cotton shirt shrank around 1/4" after the first wash. This may of just been the fabric I chose though.

They will always shrink a bit, they should've added slightly to the measurements to account for that.

EdenResident

Reaction score
I'm almost positive the half waist should be measured with the darts; the other way wouldn't produce a shirt that's a copy of your original.

Thanks.

Nadim

Reaction score
Well this is new, I just received an email form Modern Tailor with a picture of my shirt that was just shipped:

shirt_115590.jpg

This is a fabric that is currently on sale.

v174 Light blue $39.95

Medium cut-away collar, with soft lining
Convertible cuffs
Thin MOP buttons

I also have this one in transit, I should receive it in a day or 2:

b-1.jpg

evilbananas

Reaction score
I'm almost positive the half waist should be measured with the darts; the other way wouldn't produce a shirt that's a copy of your original. Every measurement on my latest 100% cotton shirt shrank around 1/4" after the first wash. This may of just been the fabric I chose though.
Also wanted to add that I washed in warm water and hung dry, as was instructed on their website.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that I washed in warm water and hung dry, as was instructed on their website.

I would argue there is no benefit to warm water unless your shirt is particularly soiled. I try to stick with cold water and minimal exposure, air dry based a few "goofs" before, i.e. my girlfriend through them in the dryer.
facepalm.gif

nringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nadim
Well this is new, I just received an email form Modern Tailor with a picture of my shirt that was just shipped:

shirt_115590.jpg

This is a fabric that is currently on sale.

v174 Light blue $39.95

Medium cut-away collar, with soft lining
Convertible cuffs
Thin MOP buttons

Were you able to just request in the comments that they not add a label?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nringo
Were you able to just request in the comments that they not add a label?

It's an option now when making a shirt. Great idea, since all of the shirts I've bought have had annoying labels that really itch. Needless to say, I removed them.

Nadim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
It's an option now when making a shirt. Great idea, since all of the shirts I've bought have had annoying labels that really itch. Needless to say, I removed them.

Exactly!

jsallen10

Reaction score
Emma,

Are there any discount codes for the month of September?

najpie

Reaction score
I received my $19.99 test shirt last week. Could you please comment on the fit? I've stared at it so long that I can't trust my own opinion.

The back and arms look tight, but only when I'm turning to take the picture. Other than that it is very comfortable. I'm thinking i could take another inch or so out of the waist and probably lose the darts.

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads