• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyduster

Your shirt fits well, except for the arms. The chest area is good, the "pull" that some people see is created by the cut of the arm-hole, not by the shirt body itself. Losing some fat at the stomach as you said is a good idea.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No hard feelings, I appreciate the feedback. ... It's just down to me finding the perfect measurements now. Although, I didn't think that this shirt was "far from perfect"
frown.gif
, I thought it was pretty good.

@Lonneker, yes the collar point really does measure 8.5 cm, from the seam to the point.

Clearly, if you like the shirt, that's all that matters. You should take comments here with a grain of SF salt, but it seems like you're doing that already. Thanks for your response, but I am not sure it was directed at me. If so, I was talking about your neckline, not collar (see below).

Originally Posted by onix
The chest area is good, the "pull" that some people see is created by the cut of the arm-hole, not by the shirt body itself.

+1; there's still some bulging in your neckline though, but you may just have a sloped shoulder which may be challenging through MTM.

15% is not fat by any means, but it's not "athletic". Athletic is 6-12%. Under 12ish, you should be able to see a six pack. Especially at 6% you should see a 6-pack, even if you don't have a muscular abdominus (although, if it's more developed, it pops more).

Correct; 6% should be pretty rock hard. Having said that, I am not sure I would trust some of these 'newer' machines and their reads though e.g. your feet.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The worst part of that shirt's fit is the shoulder slope--look at the lines running from the armpit to the shoulder, especially on the right side. Fix that first.

Jay687

Reaction score
I just received my shirt. It fits great. They made some measuring errors, and one of which I think made the shirt fit a lot better too. They made the yoke 15.5" instead of 16.5". I guess for future shirts I should specify 15.5" now?

I am scared of shrinking with that measurement though... especially considering I want other measurements to shrink. For instane, the waist is 36" instead of 35" and the collar is too large at 15.5" and I asked for 15". Also, the armholes I wanted 8.5" and got 9". I definitely wish they were higher. Will they shrink away? And I wonder if this will cause my yoke to be too small...

The one thing I'm noticing that is probably unavoidable are that although chest and waist fit okay(despite extra 1" waist), the back is a bit roomy. I guess it's needed for movement though, plus, the back is flatter than your front... so while the measurement is cut to fit half in front, half in back... meaning excess material in back. Though this si normal, even for slim fit, for movement, right?

Only other concern is excess fabric beneath the back of my armpit. It happens on all shirts. The side shot of the guy who posted pics is like what I have. And there is excess fabric between yoke and collar.

Jay687

Reaction score
Question for those who have gotten $$ back from MT, free alterations, or free shirt... what do you do to go about that?

MT definitely messed my order up considerably with measurements being off in both too large and too small directions. It's not unwearable, but I would like to get some type of accomodation since I'd think they could at least match my shirt measurements better, especially with things like the collar and not making the yoke significantly smaller.

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
The worst part of that shirt's fit is the shoulder slope--look at the lines running from the armpit to the shoulder, especially on the right side. Fix that first.

which measurement(s) would you adjust to fix that?

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Question for those who have gotten $$ back from MT, free alterations, or free shirt... what do you do to go about that?.
It is all there on the website. I followed the directions (sent an email with a few photos demonstrating the problem). They offered to fix it and give me credit for the shipping on my next shirt, but I worked out a deal to get a better discount of off a couple of shirts. The customer service has been very responsive and easy to work with. Also from the FAQ I linked - a chart listing the allowable differences in size. If you ordered one measurement and it came back outside of these limits, they'll work with you to fix it. How much adjustment from the shirt measurements should I expect on the finished product? Our tolerance of production (cutting commitment) is based on international standards. Chest/Waist/Hip\t(+/-) 2cm Shirt Length\t (+/-) 2cm Sleeve length (+/-) 1cm Shoulder\t (+/-) 1cm Cuff/Collar\t (+/-) 1cm Armhole\t (+/-) 2cm

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Question for those who have gotten $$ back from MT, free alterations, or free shirt... what do you do to go about that?

They give out vouchers like candy. Just send them an email and keep complaining until they do. You should be able to get a $20 voucher easily. That said, they post a new one each month so... not sure how useful that is. As for alterations, I've never got that done. At the cost of shipping and time it was never worth it for me. Replacement would depend upon the circumstances and how insistent you are. They're just like any other company.

Hey phxlawstudent,

Chest looks more "normal" now. But its going to come down to how much "man boob" you want to show. AKA personal preference.

Best advice: wait until you lose the weight, then review the shirt. I wouldn't touch it for now.

skyduster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lim's
Do you think a close-up photo of the collar WITHOUT your tie would be too much trouble? TIA!

Oops, I forgot. I'll post a new picture in the next few days.

Originally Posted by Lonneker
Clearly, if you like the shirt, that's all that matters. You should take comments here with a grain of SF salt, but it seems like you're doing that already. Thanks for your response, but I am not sure it was directed at me. If so, I was talking about your neckline, not collar (see below).

Well even opinions I should take with a grain of salt are helpful/educational too. With more feedback, I'm able to see an overall picture. Your feedback was a bit of an outlier, so it had me confused. So it's the collar that's "far from perfect?" Not the entire shirt?

The overall picture I'm getting is: Sleeves need adjustment, and I should lose some weight, lol. And on next order. I'll increase the armhole and bicep measurement a bit too.

+1; there's still some bulging in your neckline though, but you may just have a sloped shoulder which may be challenging through MTM.

Hmm...I don't see the bulging. The 17" collar is comfortable on me. Maybe it's my posture in those pictures, that makes the collar look to tight on my right side?

On sloping shoulders: no, I don't have sloping shoulders, I just have very developed upper traps, and maybe that gives the appearance of "sloping shoulders", but with a shorter neck than someone who genuinely has sloping shoulders due his posture or natural frame.

Correct; 6% should be pretty rock hard. Having said that, I am not sure I would trust some of these 'newer' machines and their reads though e.g. your feet.

Yeah, those are BS. Same goes for the small machine that you hold in your hands an extend your arms. They especially give a distorted reading if you've drunk lot of water, or recently lost a lot of water through sweat.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
which measurement(s) would you adjust to fix that?

It's not something you can adjust for with body measurements--the shirtmaker needs to adjust the pattern for things like posture, shoulder slope, shoulder position (i.e., how far forward they rest), etc. Often when people in these threads talk about "fit," they're only interested in how tight the shirt is. I think that's backwards--you need to get a shirt that falls correctly over the body first, then worry about how closely it fits.

kraftar

Reaction score
It's not something you can adjust for with body measurements--the shirtmaker needs to adjust the pattern for things like posture, shoulder slope, shoulder position (i.e., how far forward they rest), etc. Often when people in these threads talk about "fit," they're only interested in how tight the shirt is. I think that's backwards--you need to get a shirt that falls correctly over the body first, then worry about how closely it fits.

Ok, but moderntailor isn't a bespoke service... you can't just go to them and say 'fix this'. Other than the shirt measurements the only items you could adjust would be the posture, shoulder slope, stomach, and body type. My guess is that you would adjust the posture (more bent/slouched?) and/or the shoulders (more slope?).

moderntailoremma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
Ok, but moderntailor isn't a bespoke service... you can't just go to them and say 'fix this'. Other than the shirt measurements the only items you could adjust would be the posture, shoulder slope, stomach, and body type. My guess is that you would adjust the posture (more bent/slouched?) and/or the shoulders (more slope?).

You can send a good fitting shirt to us (ModernTailor) and we will replicate it. We are doing our best to satisfy even the most demanding customers of SF.

But I hope the customers understand that online tailoring doesn't have 'fitting' sessions like local tailoring shops. Just like different tailors working at local shops, our tailors also have their own styles. We're trying our best to re-train our tailors to have more standard styles. We as a company are revamping our production processes to ensure customers will be more pleased with the fit in the future. We are now offering 19.95 trial shirts for those who want to get their measurements properly. We are serious about this tailoring business. We value the trust you give.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The overall picture I'm getting is: Sleeves need adjustment, and I should lose some weight, lol. And on next order. I'll increase the armhole and bicep measurement a bit too.

I think that's a good approach.

Hmm...I don't see the bulging. The 17" collar is comfortable on me. Maybe it's my posture in those pictures, that makes the collar look to tight on my right side?

Apologies; I should have been more clear: the bulging is not on the collar, but on the line from your collar to your shoulder (your collar bone line, so to speak). Not sure if you can make much progress on that point through MTM though; Ataturk says it well:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads