Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shazeh, Sep 5, 2009.

1. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

I got another MT shirt a couple of days ago. They finally seem to have that split-yoke problem under control. [​IMG]

Pics please.

2. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

3. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

[​IMG]

The angle could be more acute, but, oh well.

Thanks for posting such a good photo! Looks like they got this figured out. Pretty quick learning curve.

4. perpetua

perpetua Senior member

My first trousers order just came in, and as promised here's a quick review and some photos. I'm happy overall. The fit is exactly like my favorite pair from Mabitex, so I think the people making their pants are just as skilled as those making their shirts. (That said, I think I might go for a slightly fuller cut on the next pair — although it's exactly what I ordered, I think the legs are tapered a bit too much now that I've been forced to stare at my fit photo for a couple minutes in Photoshop... Feel free to give feedback on the fit if you'd like). The fabric is a great 100% cotton — heavy enough, but finer and a bit stiffer (in a good way) than your standard Dockers. These will definitely hold a crease. The detailing also seems nice — for instance, I've never seen reinforcements on the back of the cuffs on another pair of pants (see the last photo), but I can see where they'd be useful. Similarly, they came with a Snug-Tex waistband (the grippy stuff that keeps your shirt tucked in) standard. I'll definitely be ordering more pants from ModernTailor. My only real complaint is their fabric selection — they have a few colors of cotton, and some nice-looking virgin wools at the top of the price spectrum, but the majority of their offerings are polyester blends. I'll probably try a pair since I know poly blends have come a ways since the 70s and I'd really like to have access to their mid-priced fabrics, but I'm feeling cautious. Low-quality photos below: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. suiturself

suiturself Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics of the pants. They do look pretty nice. I agree about the poly blends. I might give them a try when I need some new pants.

6. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Personal taste perhaps, I don't like that the pockets/ hips are too flared and the pants too tapered.

[​IMG]

7. suiturself

suiturself Well-Known Member

Personal taste perhaps, I don't like that the pockets/ hips are too flared and the pants too tapered.
    You can actually choose between two types of pockets. This type (vertical) will have the flare whereas the other type (sliced) won't. Also, you can choose the fit. There's slim, normal and loose. I'm assuming this is slim. If not then yea it seems to be too tapered.

With that said, you can measure your best fitting pants and submit those measurements. With that method I'm sure you can control how tapered they are. They ask for hip, thigh, knee and hem measurements among the other usuals.

8. perpetua

perpetua Senior member

You can actually choose between two types of pockets. This type (vertical) will have the flare whereas the other type (sliced) won't. Also, you can choose the fit. There's slim, normal and loose. I'm assuming this is slim. If not then yea it seems to be too tapered.

With that said, you can measure your best fitting pants and submit those measurements. With that method I'm sure you can control how tapered they are. They ask for hip, thigh, knee and hem measurements among the other usuals.

That's right, these are the slim cut. Unless someone can give me a more precise solution, I think I'll just add half or three-quarters of an inch to all the "horizontal" measures on my next pair.

9. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Senior member

got my first pair of trousers today too, however they didn't quite follow my measurements:

my cuff opening (half seam) was .25" to narrow
    my inseam was almost .50" too long
    my waist was about .25" too tight

I emailed them--------so we'll see what their customer service can do for me on these.
    I hope to order more though, if they can give me a solution or credit me something since I will have to take it to the tailor to fix.....

10. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

moderntailor20sf works for repeat orders now! I just ordered 2 more shirts (these'll be my 3rd and 4th)... Blue and Light Pink OCBD with thick MOP buttons. Looking forward to it! I think I have my measurements absolutely perfect this time. I'll post pics, so you can see the MOP buttons.

Can anyone confirm if this code still works? Has anyone tried recently?

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Can anyone confirm if this code still works? Has anyone tried recently?

It's expired.

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

You can actually choose between two types of pockets. This type (vertical) will have the flare whereas the other type (sliced) won't.

Flaring pockets is a sign of bad fit, regardless of style.

13. click here

click here Senior member

14. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

Flaring pockets is a sign of bad fit, regardless of style.

What specifically causing pants' pockets to flare? I've ordered both sliced and vertical pocket cuts and the pants fit great, but the pockets still poke out.

15. bmf895

bmf895 Senior member

What specifically causing pants' pockets to flare? I've ordered both sliced and vertical pocket cuts and the pants fit great, but the pockets still poke out.

It's possible you have too much junk in the trunk. Try making the hip measure larger or maybe try single pleat. Flat front is not for everybody.