1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shazeh, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

What's the yarn count on the T1?

I don't actually know - Modern is funny about what it sometimes leaves out in its descriptions. I will say it's extremely smooth cloth - your fingers can just barely discern surface texture. If it was much finer it would start to take on a sheen, which I don't like. For the casual, check, button down shirt I ordered, it's at the limits of what I'd want.

After laundering and drying (gently) the shirt, it fits wonderfully, but the darn thing is about 4" too short in the body. This has to be an oversight on someone's part as every other measurement is correct to within about 1/8" of what I specified. All the important stuff above the waterline is fine, but if I bend over to tie my shoes I'll be tucking. I emailed them - I wonder if I'll get a free shirt. It wasn't my intention, but I won't say no.

Stitching and construction are the equal, if not the superior of the shirts I've been getting. Scary straight single needle work. The collar buttons are cut from the same thickness as the front buttons, which makes them look almost square in profile - a little odd, but not objectionable.

Shirt ordered 5/26, delivered to my door 6/05. Dayum...

2. tinkle60

tinkle60 Active Member

I think they're backed up from the sale. I normally get the shirts within 10 days of ordering (3 previous orders). But it's been 8 days and I finally just received shipping notification. I ordered 4 shirts. One of them had different measurements.

Damn that's fast shipping. I've ordered twice so far, production times have also been 8-10 days, my first order spent 9 days in transit. The second time I went for express shipping, and it took 7 days and it went by some courier I'd never heard of.

I'll save my money next time and wait 2 more days.

3. onix

onix Senior member

I am thinking of ordering a wool pants from them but kind of hesitate given that I have not seen any prior experience, especially it will be about $90-$110 shipped. Is there any current coupon?

4. Yika

Yika Senior member

I am thinking of ordering a wool pants from them but kind of hesitate given that I have not seen any prior experience, especially it will be about $90-$110 shipped. Is there any current coupon?

i am ordered a pair. will let you know how it turns out.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Which collar is this? It's not the usual cutaway.

6. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

^ That looks to be the large one button cutaway. I have it along with the large two button cutaway.

7. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

Yep, looks like the large cutaway, but it could also be a custom measurement job.

8. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

I ordered my first shirt from them recently. On tracking online, I noticed that they tried to deliver yesterday. I was at home at the timestamps noted, so not sure what happened. Has anyone tried to contact the US office of the mailing service they use?

9. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

I ordered my first shirt from them recently. On tracking online, I noticed that they tried to deliver yesterday. I was at home at the timestamps noted, so not sure what happened. Has anyone tried to contact the US office of the mailing service they use?
    They tried to deliver to me, too. I wasn't home, and I heard nothing else about it. I contacted MyT and they said that a slip should have been left on the door, but it wasn't. Long story short, it was sitting at the local post office the next day, picked it up and signed for it. Guess I'll probably have to do this for most orders as I'm gone a lot. I may leave a sign on the door with instructions to leave it. Try your local post office; it's probably sitting there. They use EMS to get it to the US, but probably USPS from there to your your door. Good luck contacting EMS.

10. calisanfran

They tried to deliver to me, too. I wasn't home, and I heard nothing else about it. I contacted MyT and they said that a slip should have been left on the door, but it wasn't. Long story short, it was sitting at the local post office the next day, picked it up and signed for it. Guess I'll probably have to do this for most orders as I'm gone a lot.

Try your local post office; it's probably sitting there.

Thanks. Just noticed the USPS slip in my mailbox too!

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Which collar is this? It's not the usual cutaway.

^ That looks to be the large one button cutaway. I have it along with the large two button cutaway.

Yep, looks like the large cutaway, but it could also be a custom measurement job.

I just e-mailed them and got a quick response - it's "cutaway - large."

12. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Modern Tailor has shifted from priority USPS to Global Express, which requires a signature as well as a receipt form since it is from China. My most recent order required three signatures.

13. landshark

landshark Senior member

So I'm considering my first order from modern tailor, and I used the measurements of my best fitting shirt. Will they follow these exactly, and will the shirt shrink? Should I add anything to my measurements? I don't want to spend $40 (testing with their cheaper fabric) and have a shirt I can't use. I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

14. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

So I'm considering my first order from modern tailor, and I used the measurements of my best fitting shirt. Will they follow these exactly, and will the shirt shrink? Should I add anything to my measurements? I don't want to spend $40 (testing with their cheaper fabric) and have a shirt I can't use. I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

With my first order, I gave exact measurements of the shirt I wanted and left a note in the box "these are EXACT measurements, please account for any shrinkage in your fabrics." The shirt I received was absolutely spot on. I have probably washed the shirt 5 times since receiving it and it has not shrunk at all. They claim the fabric is pre-shrunk and as far as I can tell this is true. Granted, this was not a high-end fabric and I wash my dress shirts on delicate in cold water, hang to dry. Your results may vary based on your fabric selection or wash technique.

15. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

No problems at all with shrinkage. I lightly machine dried it twice, but now hang dry (clothes last longer when they don't get massacred in a drier every time.) They are supposed to take any inherent shrinkage into account when cutting the shirt out. This would probably differ from one cloth to the next, even if "pre-shrunk."

16. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

No problems at all with shrinkage. I lightly machine dried it twice, but now hang dry (clothes last longer when they don't get massacred in a drier every time.) They are supposed to take any inherent shrinkage into account when cutting the shirt out. This would probably differ from one cloth to the next, even if "pre-shrunk."

This has been my experience as well. I launder my own shirts, hang up, and then iron them while still damp. Some of my shirts are a bit tighter than others after a few washes and I believe this to be because they are different fabrics. I still measure all of my shirts when they come in to make sure they didn't mess up a measurement and they haven't yet after 10+ shirts now.

17. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

I *finally* have a great fitting shirt to measure off of and would love to try out MT. Does anyone have a first time buyer's gift card sitting around?

18. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

I *finally* have a great fitting shirt to measure off of and would love to try out MT. Does anyone have a first time buyer's gift card sitting around?

The plan is to get something off their weekly sale selection that you like/can tolerate. The first time buyer's credit is just $5, so it's not worth missing a sale fabric. If there's nothing this week, wait until next.

19. landshark

landshark Senior member

Okay, so im convinced. Now, are there any coupons that are still active?

20. calisanfran

Received my shirt today and I am very satisfied with how it turned out. The measurements were spot on. I need to get a couple of things tweaked but they had to do with the measurements I provided (e.g. need to increase the armhole by about 0.25 inches). The quality is worth the price point (I ordered fabric P112).