• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Is it considered uncouth to go to a tailor and have him measure you, then not buy a shirt from him? I know if I measure myself for this site Ill mess it up, so ideally I would like a tailor to do it. Ill offer him some money, but Im pretty sure it will be awkward.

I highly suggest you not send them body measurements. Measure your best fitting shirt and tweak the measurements to your liking.

I've used Propercloth's (referral link in sig) body measuring and they got it spot on. Even offering three different sizes. My tweaks were very very minor. I was incredibly impressed with how accurate their computer got the measurements. Now, while I'm not entirely sure about how I feel about it, if you really want, you can put in your body measurements there, choose the fit you want, and use those measurements for moderntailor. But beware, MT asks for yoke and sleeve length, while PC uses a total sleeve length. Only difference IIRC.

slappy

Reaction score
I dont have any shirts I would consider to be extremely well fitted. I do not want this to be based off any shirt I own

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont have any shirts I would consider to be extremely well fitted. I do not want this to be based off any shirt I own

You can start with a shirt that fits you well around the shoulders and then pin it to reach a better fit (assuming it's too large)

moderntailoremma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tzedekh
For anyone who has received a shirt from Modern Tailor, I have some questions regarding the construction of their shirts:
  1. Do they use single-needle stitching on all seams? Flat felled stitched
  2. Are the yokes top-stitched -- that is, stitched on the top side of the yoke about a millimeter from the seam? 1mm from the seam
  3. Are the side seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched? Flat felled stitched
  4. Are the armhole (arm scye) seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched? Flat felled stitched
  5. Are collars and cuffs fused, and if so, are there grades of fusing material weight (such as soft, light, medium, and heavy)? Can shirts be ordered without fusing?
  6. Are collars and cuffs by default stitched 1/4 inch from the edge (which is traditional) rather than edge-stitched? Collar and cuffs fused with different level : soft, med, heavy Without fusing only if it s casual collar
  7. Can you specify collar length (e.g., 3.5 inches), back height, point spread (distance between collar points), and tie gap? If so, how would you do that? STD is 1/4 from the eadge but customer can choose edge stitched too
  8. How many stitches per inch are used on seams? 18-21
  9. Do sleeve gauntlets (plackets) have buttons by default? 1 small ( 12L)
  10. How many buttons do they use on their shirt fronts? Seven? 6-7 on the placket 1-3 on the collar
  11. How are placketless shirt fronts done? Is the raw edge turned under and folded, and then the shirt front stitched about a quarter of an inch from the edge to seal the raw edge? For the placket 1/4 inch from the edge.
Thanks for your help.

Hello: We have answers above. Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. E Dress Shirts by ModernTailor

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
I had just received my first order from Modern Tailor yesterday. The shirt fits fine, but am I the only one that thinks their fabrics are quite transparent? I ordered a 2-ply and I feel like I have to wear a t-shirt underneath to preserve my modesty.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
I had just received my first order from Modern Tailor yesterday. The shirt fits fine, but am I the only one that thinks their fabrics are quite transparent? I ordered a 2-ply and I feel like I have to wear a t-shirt underneath to preserve my modesty.

Depends on the fabric. They have so many its impossible to generalize.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Emma,

Are you guys offering discounts to StyleForum members in April?

Thanks

moderntailoremma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Emma,

Are you guys offering discounts to StyleForum members in April?

Thanks

We're announcing several promotions soon
smile.gif

We're just waiting to finish the final inventory of all our fabrics. We added a bunch more... we're going up to 1000 fabrics... now with Sea Island... which is high quality.

Btw, our thick MOP buttons for dress shirts have arrived and we'll put them up on our website soon. These thick MOP buttons are unbranded.

Thanks.

E

ModernTailor Dress Shirts

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moderntailoremma
smile.gif

We're just waiting to finish the final inventory of all our fabrics. We added a bunch more... we're going up to 1000 fabrics... now with Sea Island... which is high quality.

Btw, our thick MOP buttons for dress shirts have arrived and we'll put them up on our website soon. These thick MOP buttons are unbranded.

Thanks.

E

Excellent. I like the quality of the ones I got that say Modern Tailor, although it is extremely hard to see the writing.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Thanks.

E

Sounds like I'll be making my next order shortly then. Any chance fabric R7 goes onto weekly specials after the new buttons are available? I already have a design in mind for it.

columbia92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist

Modern Tailor doesn't manufacture any fabric. With so many different fabrics from so many different mills, I think it's hard to generalize about the quality of the fabric. It really depend on what you choose. With that in mind, I think they can do a better job in giving out the description of the fabric so it will help us to find the fabric we want. I find the color of the fabric on the website sometimes doesn't match the actual fabric color. I think this has to do w/ lighting issue on the photography. I would also recommend that you email them if you have any specific question about the specific fabric you want to buy.

suiturself

Reaction score
smile.gif

Thanks.

E

Please do let us know when the unbranded thick MOP buttons are on the site and when we have a new coupon. You'll have an order fairly quickly from me at that point!

bmf895

Reaction score

Take different measurements from different shirts. For my first shirt, I incorporated different measurements from 5 different brands of shirts that I owned. Make adjustments as you see fit. When in doubt, use the bigger measurement. Overall, the first shirt turned out better than anything RTW. I only tweaked a few things for my next order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads