• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Russian Cinema Recommendations

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently watched the Ninth Company and The Newsmakers and am now interested to see more modern Russian films. Any recommendations welcome!

PLEASE note I said modern, so no Battleship Potempkins!
smile.gif

spb_lady

Reaction score

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nightwatch and Daywatch.

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Nightwatch and Daywatch.

there's an english version? actually I'm a big fan of the books, so I wasn't impressed by the movie that much...

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spb_lady
there's an english version? actually I'm a big fan of the books, so I wasn't impressed by the movie that much...

There is an dubbed Version and it sucks donkey dick. I actually shut it off. I don't speak Russian but even with sub-titles it was so much better. The voices fit the characters.
I loved the fact that the whole movie was just so ******* cold and harsh and, well, Russian.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Don't have much to add to spb_ladys list, except a mention that Morfiy was pretty amazing.

Also quite liked The Return.

EDIT: What the hell, how could I forget Aleksandr Sokurov? Haven't seen that many films by him, but ones I've seen have been consistently quite amazing. The standout being 2007's Alexandra, but Father and Son, Russian Ark and The Sun were also really good.

And really, Russian Ark deserves praise for taking a gimmick (the whole film is one steadicam shot) and then executing it perfectly. I don't think it's the first one-shot film made (I know Mike Figgis did Timecode few years before), but it's still the only one I've seen where it actually works. A wonderful film.

Def check out Sokurov.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw How i Spent last Summer last night at the outdoor cinema but i think its a year or two old

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Brother and Brother 2.

I know you said modern, but I'm going to say White Sun of the Desert anyway.

kashmir

Reaction score
there is a very unique movie called Russian Ark. One whole movie is a single continuous shot (digitally assisted, of course)

rmnd

Reaction score
Lilya 4-ever

Swedish director, takes place in Estonia, characters speak Russian

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
There is an dubbed Version and it sucks donkey dick. I actually shut it off. I don't speak Russian but even with sub-titles it was so much better. The voices fit the characters.
I loved the fact that the whole movie was just so ******* cold and harsh and, well, Russian.

Yeah had some pretty cool effects too. Daywatch had a way bigger budget because it got picked up by Fox Searchlight. Pretty cool, if cheesy at times, plot.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex

I know you said modern, but I'm going to say White Sun of the Desert anyway.

Everyone must watch this movie...a fascinating glimpse into the mystery of russian soul

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads