1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Modern/Preppy Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by embowafa, Sep 25, 2009.

1. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

2. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I like that tab collar. I used to have a couple of those in college. Hard to find now. They look good with a narrow repp tie.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I like those. There are several ensembles I do and would wear.

- B

4. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Distinguished Member

the cuffed corduroys + fair isle socks + suede loafers is excellent.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Some good ideas. Maybe I'll try the retro pin on the tweed jacket lapel. I have a Goldwater pin that would work...

6. bluemagic

bluemagic Distinguished Member

The ink was a lot better than the thread title might indicate. There's something uncomfortably narcissistic about a site with just one person's photos, however.

7. robin

robin Stylish Dinosaur

The ink was a lot better than the thread title might indicate. There's something uncomfortably narcissistic about a site with just one person's photos, however.
    According to the site, the guy is an artist and has been doing it as a project.

8. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

Are the suede tassel loafers pictured there Aldens?

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Real life Dilbert?

10. comrade

comrade Distinguished Member

Like most attempts at recreating a retro style this turns out to be cartoonish and anachronistic.
    I do not know whether it's ignorance on the part of the "re-creators", or that the "stylists"
    who are responsible, exaggerate to the point of being surreal. I was there, Ivy grad
    Class of '62 . Shirts were usually ironed. Nobody wore a "bucket hat" or "Swifty Lazar"
    round glasses. I never saw a Fair Isle sweater except in English films from the
    '30s (the author has seen too many Polo ads) Nobody buttoned the top button
    of their shirt. Crewnecks were part of the uniform, yet none is shown. I could
    go on, and on. I hope some of the purists from the AAAC share their views.

11. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Distinguished Member

Real life Dilbert?

Not fat enough

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Like most attempts at recreating a retro style this turns out to be cartoonish and anachronistic.
    I do not know whether it's ignorance on the part of the "re-creators", or that the "stylists"
    who are responsible, exaggerate to the point of being surreal. I was there, Ivy grad
    Class of '62 . Shirts were usually ironed. Nobody wore a "bucket hat" or "Swifty Lazar"
    round glasses. I never saw a Fair Isle sweater except in English films from the
    '30s (the author has seen too many Polo ads) Nobody buttoned the top button
    of their shirt. Crewnecks were part of the uniform, yet none is shown. I could
    go on, and on. I hope some of the purists from the AAAC share their views.

Of course you are right, but exact contemporary mimicry would only be historical costume. These are young adults using that period as inspiration, and they can do far worse: in fact, most do.

If they dressed exactly like 1962, it would be like living in 1962 and dressing exactly like 1915.

- B

13. Pennglock

Pennglock Distinguished Member

I like his sweaters.

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Distinguished Member

15. track309

track309 Senior Member

[​IMG]

I've never seen those vintage New Balance before....nice.