1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Modern prefab housing.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

Did I mention, I work at this firm? [​IMG] (yeah, I guess I did...) www.mkd-arc.com [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I love prefeab housing, and if I ever leave a city I will consider it very seriously. There is an LA firm that has come up with some awesome stuff that is slightly more customizable while retaining all that is good about prefab: http://www.marmolradzinerprefab.com/cp9.html

4. Bergdorf Goodwill

Matt,

Those are stunning. Any idea on pricepoint? Some of the ones I linked above start as low as ~$45K.

Between your furnishings and your clothing I'd like to inherit your life at some point. Let me know if you ever get tired of it and we can work out some sort of arrangement.

5. Trilby

Trilby Well-Known Member

6. itsstillmatt

Or, if you want something smaller and have a bit of Austin Powers in you. I actually think that it is a very cool idea.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I love the idea of modern prefab, and were it a financial possibility, I'd buy a big plot in the country and build one.

8. itsstillmatt

Matt,

Those are stunning. Any idea on pricepoint? Some of the ones I linked above start as low as ~$45K.

Between your furnishings and your clothing I'd like to inherit your life at some point. Let me know if you ever get tired of it and we can work out some sort of arrangement.

Not sure on the price, but I imaine that it is cheaper than normal construction but still a bit pricey. The Loftcube runs almost 200k for the bigger model and it is only 600sf, but is stunning. All the materiels are top of the line and the design is just about perfect. You know that my wife comes along with the trade, so you might want to think twice...

9. Bergdorf Goodwill

Not sure on the price, but I imaine that it is cheaper than normal construction but still a bit pricey. The Loftcube runs almost 200k for the bigger model and it is only 600sf, but is stunning. All the materiels are top of the line and the design is just about perfect.

You know that my wife comes along with the trade, so you might want to think twice...

From the way you have described your wife's clothing inclinations, we'd probably get along well enough. Though if I had to foot the bill for her, we might run into some disagreement.

I'm young, hardy, and have a number of exceptionally functional organs you might be able to make use of should we go the Freaky Friday route.

10. Bergdorf Goodwill

Or, if you want something smaller and have a bit of Austin Powers in you.

I actually think that it is a very cool idea.

I absolutely love this. I assume it's very expensive, if they're even in production.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Thought I'd toss this up here for any interested parties. Just a few links and photos of some modern prefabricated homes. I am not in (or anywhere near) a position to own a home, but I love these

So now you are raiding my product/design thread and taking credit for it? I see how it is.

[​IMG]

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

prefabs are trendy in l.a. right now. many of them come with super expensive designer applances, and they cater to the hipster crowd.

i was going to start a thread about them a few months ago after hearing a radio show on the subject, but i must have forgot.

there is a website called fabprefab that has links to many desingers/builders.

13. Bergdorf Goodwill

So now you are raiding my product/design thread and taking credit for it? I see how it is.

[​IMG]

I forgot about that thread. Did you put some prefabs in there? Would you like to go half on a prefab desert compound and raise an uncomfortable army? Please advise.

14. Tokyo Slim

I forgot about that thread. Did you put some prefabs in there? Would you like to go half on a prefab desert compound and raise an uncomfortable army? Please advise.

Yeah, two weeks or so ago, I posted pretty much the same ones. Plus links to the manufacturers and pricing.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...product+design

15. Bergdorf Goodwill

Yeah, two weeks or so ago, I posted pretty much the same ones. Plus links to the manufacturers and pricing.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...product+design

I got those specific ones from an ex-girlfriend, who probably got them from wherever you got them.

16. Tokyo Slim

Your ex-girlfriend searched the internets for an hour or two looking at all the various prefabricated homes for sale around the world, and then selected the ones that she found aesthetically pleasing or uniquely designed?

She sounds hot.

[​IMG]

17. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

relatively modern considering the history of architecture, Rudolf Schindler's home built in 1928 was his model for low cost pre fab home construction. for the life of me, i can't find good pictures of two of my favorite features of the home, the outdoor fireplaces and the 2nd floor sleeping baskets which were basically bedrooms with a frame but no windows or walls covered with ivy and completely exposed to the elements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

original source for images:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

-Jeff

18. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

relatively modern considering the history of architecture, Rudolf Schindler's home built in 1928 was his model for low cost pre fab home construction. for the life of me, i can't find good pictures of two of my favorite features of the home, the outdoor fireplaces and the 2nd floor sleeping baskets which were basically bedrooms with a frame but no windows or walls covered with ivy and completely exposed to the elements.
    -Jeff

Rudolph Schindler was one of the creative talents that fled the increasing lunacy of Germany in the era before Hitler ascended to power. Many of those talented people found a home in Southern California; Schindler was one of them.

If I recall correctly, a dentist in the greater Los Angeles area commissioned Schindler to build a dozen summer or beach homes with Sleeping Baskets at Windan’sea Beach in La Jolla. Constructed in the 1920s, the homes are only a half-mile away from our primary residence. They are situated between Playa del Sur and Gravilla Streets west of La Jolla Boulevard. The project design is known as El Pueblo Ribera.

Over the years, fire, general neglect, and unsympathetic remodeling have taken a terrible toll on the original poured concrete designs. Each wall is poured in horizontal layers, one layer atop the other. Your can see the layer lines in the photos below. I have visited seven of the twelve cottages over the years between 1970 and 1981. I spent many a cold foggy night in one of the original and open-to-the-elements Sleeping Baskets as a guest of a family member of one home’s owners. We would clamber out of our sleeping bags in the pre-dawn light to be the very first surfers into the water on some of those mornings. The Sleeping Baskets of all the homes are enclosed today.

Two books featuring the Pueblo Ribera homes were published in the 1960s and 1970s. The best photos of the homes are in the archives of the La Jolla Historical Society. Eleven of the homes remain with a variety of existing modifications in place. A fire gutted the twelfth more than twenty years ago. It was not rebuilt.

Originally, the homes were intended only for seasonal use in the summer and early autumn when the daily temperatures make it pleasant. The three images in the triptych below don’t really represent the site-specific nature of the homes in proximity to the beach less than one hundred yards away. At the time they were built, they stood proud alongside a little gully away from other homes in the area. The left and center photos are from the time of construction while the image on the right was made only a few years ago. Today, the structures are nearly buried alongside other neighborhood structures on the two serpentine streets in the densely overbuilt beach area.

Schindler’s use of concrete was in stark contrast to the steel used by another famous contemporary, Richard Neutra. Many examples of designs by each architect remain in San Diego and other parts of southern California today. Here is a link with a little more information and its own list of links. http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...Ribera_Ct.html

[​IMG]

19. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

There have been several 'prototype' prefab and/or modular efforts, especially in the modernist milieu from early 1900's on, but it hasn't been until recently that well-designed, prefab modular was made a reality. I think it has something to do with economies of scale being less of a factor to the bottom line (which is what made trailer homes so crappy, i think), as well as the recent viability of mass customization. The market is still in its infancy but is (we're hoping) set for pretty big expansion.

20. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

I spent many a cold foggy night in one of the original and open-to-the-elements Sleeping Baskets as a guest of a family member of one home's owners. We would clamber out of our sleeping bags in the pre-dawn light to be the very first surfers into the water on some of those mornings.

too too cool Full Canvas! i would love to have stayed a night in a Schindler original.

-Jeff