• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Menswear

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something to look forward to in 2008:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...232145,00.html

M is for modern menswear
Fashion journalist Hywel Davies spent the last year interviewing the world's most important menswear designers and now he's written up his insights for a sleek and beautifully presented new book. Davies, who has written for Vogue, Elle and Dazed & Confused, works his way through the minds, motivations and inspirations of all 36 designers featured, including Aitor Throup, Raf Simons, Marc Jacobs and Kim Jones. 'So many fashion books are historical,' says Davies. 'I wanted this to be very modern.' Modern Menswear is published by Laurence King at £25 in February 2008

Review please, if anyone gets this.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Review please, if anyone gets this.

I haven't read the book, but I bet I know how it ends: pastels are hot for spring, and fall is all about the tweed.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B is for Boring

Another "journalist" trying to justify his/her existence, trying to inform the ignorant masses that such and such is back in style.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
B is for Boring

. . . trying to inform the ignorant masses that such and such is back in style.

Actually it sounds like the opposite: ". . . designers who have broken with convention to visualize radical and directional clothing. They are not concerned with the formalities and traditions of menswear but see their garments as an expression of contemporary thought."

http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781856695404

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
judging from the cover, I will not buy this book.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
You may also like...

Title: Protection and Repair of Concrete: A Practical Guide to the European Standards

------------------------------------

The above is from the same web page. I wonder why the vendor thinks an interest in dressing well relates to an interest in the protection and repair of concrete.

Cheers, Jim.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the author for both books is one and the same. It appears either he is well versed in multiple disciplines and is as comfortable handling concrete as he is with textiles or there are two such persons with similar names.

I just realized that the tesco webby does not have the cover page for the Modern menswear book. Here it is. And it's probably one of the rare occasions that I judge a book by its cover.
41g8IazgSpL._SS500_.jpg

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Thanks - I did not notice it was the same name. After seeing the cover, I think I would opt for the book on concrete if I had to make a choice.

Cheers, Jim.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
B is for Boring

Another "journalist" trying to justify his/her existence, trying to inform the ignorant masses that such and such is back in style.

Having experienced the joys of a "real job" I can sympathize with this attempt by the journalist.

style-ob

Reaction score
I have just seen this book and its fantastic. You should have a read before you are all so negative about it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the cover is funny and it makes me want to see what is inside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads