• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Modern look on a budget.......

roc17355

Reaction score
I am a new user to the forum and have a question that I'm sure has been asked hundreds of times. I am looking for suggestions on how to achieve the "modern" look at work and on the town with out breaking the bank. I work full time in a law office but am also a FT student so money is not plentiful at the moment. I would like to start building a wardrobe that will last. I know places like BR and Express do not get that much love here but at this time it is what I can afford and I feel I do a decent job of pulling it off. That being said they just do not seem to fit the way I want. I am looking for the modern look, slim trouser, shirt, coat etc. and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I am 6'3" 175 with an athletic figure. Thank you in advance for any help. I will post pics later if that will help.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roc17355
I am a new user to the forum and have a question that I'm sure has been asked hundreds of times. I am looking for suggestions on how to achieve the "modern" look at work and on the town with out breaking the bank. I work full time in a law office but am also a FT student so money is not plentiful at the moment. I would like to start building a wardrobe that will last. I know places like BR and Express do not get that much love here but at this time it is what I can afford and I feel I do a decent job of pulling it off. That being said they just do not seem to fit the way I want. I am looking for the modern look, slim trouser, shirt, coat etc. and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I am 6'3" 175 with an athletic figure. Thank you in advance for any help. I will post pics later if that will help.

I think your tall and trim build is a big head start. Add to that trim fit clothing. You may need a tailor but it will be worth every penny. Baggy or loose isn't modern at all. I would buy lots of white shirts and darker pants. Your belt and shoes should match and be fairly simple and sleek looking. None of these things needs to be expensive. Those are the basics IMO

roc17355

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
go to cbunitedstyle.com. Is that the look you want or is too edgy?

Or maybe, look on ebay from RL custom fit stuff

and check Zara too...

Exactly what I am looking for. I have my own style so edgy is not a problem.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roc17355
Exactly what I am looking for. I have my own style so edgy is not a problem.

I just bought a couple of shirts from Zara on sale for $34 each. They seem good. Their styling is on the slimmer side.

Casey

Reaction score
I'll second the notion of stocking up on basics. That means you don't want to go overboard with the details, and just keep it simple. That way: 1. You and others don't get tired of your clothes, and 2. You can wear them any season without worrying if it's "in."

Black, white, grey, brown, and blue are good colors to start with, and I would just throw in other colors like red or yellow in moderation. A splash of color here and there can make things interesting for you.

Zara and H&M are great on a budget, although be very wary if you are to shop at H&M. Some of the lines that they carry are poorly made so if the tag seems to good to be true, that's because it's going to fall apart. Stick to their standard line with the grey labels.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said you shop at BR and express, those aren't really poor people's brands. You probably have 10 shirts from them at $40 a pop?

You just need to be more selective about what you buy. A lot of the brands mentioned here can be purchased for $50 a shirt, $400 for a absolute top notch coat, $150 for shoes, etc.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40