• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern items to get 50s Elvis look?

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've kinda been stumbling around not really able to find My Look and recently realized that Elvis's 50s outfits are kinda my ideal. Short sleeve collared shirts, solid or simple/bold patterns, rock&roll without feeling too dressed up OR too jeans&tee casual.

Any things I should be looking for to find this without having to go vintage*? If I look up camp or cuban collar stuff, nothing really seems to have THIS vibe? I feel like just buying a s/s shirt and chinos from bonobos isn't really gonna look like this right? Am I just looking for wool slacks? I feel like I've even seen him in polos but like, my image of polos nowadays is more like, Kohls vibe lol. Is that just a tailoring issue?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm not exactly LOADED so budget isn't unlimited but really I just don't even know where to start. When I google anything like "short sleeved shirt tucked in" none of what I'm seeing is really the same cool rock & roll vibe at all.

Thanks!

*even if i am looking at vintage, what specifically should I be searching for?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He did famously rock a Baracuta G9. Also, famously rocked by Sinatra and Joe Strummer, so it's a jacket that cuts across musical genres.

elvis-baracuta-jacket-harrington-g9-mobile.jpg

One other thing, though it's not my kink, the Rockabilly crowd is meticulous about trying to recreate that mid to late 50s Americana look. I'm sure some of their forums would delve extensively into how to pull it off and who the best suppliers are.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
23elvis-style8-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

Elvis-15-GQ-16Aug17_getty_b.jpg

222822.jpg

f7aefe3dca72d2319d91e4ae81e226d0

funinacapulco6-main1.jpg

elvis1cropped2.jpg

Elvis-Presley-Leather-Long-Coat.jpg

elvispresleyspeedwayblueleatherjack.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a few shops online for the rockabilly crowd. It’s not my scene, so the only places I can recommend is:

Often they tend to mimic the extremes of the decade or bring in some 70s punk influences to their style.

As well as Elvis, I’d suggest taking a look at some of the other stars of the era - notably James Dean, Marlon Brando and Tony Curtis.

Aero have a few leather jackets that would work for this style: cross zips, letterman jackets, half belts and Cossacks are all very 50s youth culture.

Reaction score
There are a few shops online for the rockabilly crowd. It’s not my scene, so the only places I can recommend is:

Often they tend to mimic the extremes of the decade or bring in some 70s punk influences to their style.

As well as Elvis, I’d suggest taking a look at some of the other stars of the era - notably James Dean, Marlon Brando and Tony Curtis.

Aero have a few leather jackets that would work for this style: cross zips, letterman jackets, half belts and Cossacks are all very 50s youth culture.

ah i had found STH but not the other two. i'll do some delving.

i feel like my polyester allergy is not gonna do me a lot of favors in this arena, i'm realizing

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You know, I was going to recommend, like, Bryceland's and SJC for those huge collars... and I still might... But some of the se shirts reminded me of Scott Fraser Collection. Definitely 50s vibes, and their latest shirt has a collar like the blue jumpsuit's in @ter1413's post. Their dress pants also seem to hit.

Simon James Cathcart does pretty authentic vintage vibes, including big curvy shirt collars, short sleeve knits, stuff like that.

Bryceland's is a little more about western vibes than rockabilly or 50s in particular, but they also have some big collar shirts, some terry cloth shirts, cabbana gear... Worth a look. They also do good denim, but vintage 501s would be better, especially if you can land, like, 50s-style 501s in good condition.

Reaction score
thx everyone for the reccs

looking around straighttohell's site (i bought a couple of their shirts to try out), i really like the look of these pants, but again yeah the polyester won't work for me.

Would just some wool trousers function the same? Or Should I just grab some chinos? these look slightly more casual than dress pants but i feel like maybe dressier than chinos? typically for casual I just do jeans but I feel like moving into the non-denim realm would really help my look but I'm not really sure what would go well with the kind of casual shirts they sell.

thx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads