1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Bookshelves/Shelving

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kronik, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kronik

kronik Senior member

Yep. Hopefully it works out decent, otherwise I'll buy another set of green and use the red elsewhere.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

LD is that you? I never pictured you as bald [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

5. kronik

kronik Senior member

I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.
    I like the Sapiens as well but my girlfriend is opposed - she thinks they'd look messy, not to mention we'd have to buy 6-7 of them.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

[​IMG]
    Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.
    [​IMG]
    Funny, I've never gotten Carell as one of my "you know, you look like . . . celebrities". I don't think I really look much like him, but I can see how there's a superficial resemblance.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I like these from DWR and the price is good too.

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=5280

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=2989

I have the second, or something similar. Works well for what it is (stronger than it looks) and aesthetically interesting. But if you have a lot of books it's not very practical as your primary option. It not only just does not hold that many books, it also requires that you arrange the books with eye toward size and exercise more care in removing/replacing them than is true with horizontal shelving.
    I likethe look of the old lawyer's bookcases. They are the bookcases that looked like cabinets, and had glass doors, and curtains to protect the expensive law books from dust and sun.

Aesthetically, I like these as well. In my experience, they have two practical limitations. First, the ratio of space consumed to actual shelving space is necessarily higher. This may or may not be a problem, of course, depending on your volume of books and available space. Second, if you tend to do a lot of grabbing a book, checking a reference, putting it back, grabbing a difference book to remind yourself of something else ten minutes later, etc., the enclosure can become cumbersome. But for books-by-the-foot that you keep around to impress guests, they're very nice.

10. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^I keep first editions and such that I want to be particularly protected from the elements as well as small children and guests in mine. They wouldn't be practical for volumes you want to use frequently for reference.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I tend to keep frequently used books stacked on the floor.

12. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I built my own shelves.