Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Modern Bookshelves/Shelving

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kronik, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]

LD is that you? I never pictured you as bald [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I likethe look of the old lawyer's bookcases. They are the bookcases that looked like cabinets, and had glass doors, and curtains to protect the expensive law books from dust and sun.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I likethe look of the old lawyer's bookcases. They are the bookcases that looked like cabinets, and had glass doors, and curtains to protect the expensive law books from dust and sun.
    I really like the ones with leaded glass. The better ones come apart in sections, for transport. Stackable before there was stackable.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Most of my WAYW pics are taken in front of my stackable barrister bookcase. Mine are in dark cherry from Levenger. I'm up to five sections, which is pretty tall. With the next section I'll likely split them into two separate cases, but that will require the purchase of a new top and legs. It's a good way to spread the purchase out over time.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I ended up going with 3 units of the Cubitec, 2 in green, 1 in red. We'll see how they play out.
    <Pats self on back>

Are the green and red bookshelves going to be next to each other? I'd like to see how that works out.

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

Yep. Hopefully it works out decent, otherwise I'll buy another set of green and use the red elsewhere.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

LD is that you? I never pictured you as bald [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

10. kronik

kronik Senior member

I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.
    I like the Sapiens as well but my girlfriend is opposed - she thinks they'd look messy, not to mention we'd have to buy 6-7 of them.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Double post

12. Ambulance Chaser

[​IMG]
    Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.
    [​IMG]
    Funny, I've never gotten Carell as one of my "you know, you look like . . . celebrities". I don't think I really look much like him, but I can see how there's a superficial resemblance.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I like these from DWR and the price is good too.

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=5280

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=2989

I have the second, or something similar. Works well for what it is (stronger than it looks) and aesthetically interesting. But if you have a lot of books it's not very practical as your primary option. It not only just does not hold that many books, it also requires that you arrange the books with eye toward size and exercise more care in removing/replacing them than is true with horizontal shelving.

Aesthetically, I like these as well. In my experience, they have two practical limitations. First, the ratio of space consumed to actual shelving space is necessarily higher. This may or may not be a problem, of course, depending on your volume of books and available space. Second, if you tend to do a lot of grabbing a book, checking a reference, putting it back, grabbing a difference book to remind yourself of something else ten minutes later, etc., the enclosure can become cumbersome. But for books-by-the-foot that you keep around to impress guests, they're very nice.

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^I keep first editions and such that I want to be particularly protected from the elements as well as small children and guests in mine. They wouldn't be practical for volumes you want to use frequently for reference.