• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Art

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised that a forum dedicated to the art of clothing doesn't have a thread for more traditional fine/lowbrow modern art. Being the art fanatic that I am (I've managed to befriend a lot of amazing artists and that's really fueled my obsession), I've decided to start one.
lookaround.gif

How about we limit it to modern artists that are still alive and kicking, so we stay away from the obvious Haring/Warhol crowd. Anyway, what are you into?

Right now I'm absolutely obsessed with Brendan Monroe (I have his vinyl Sours and I plan on getting an original canvas within the next month or so; I would also love a few of his sculptures next time he decides to kick them out). His stuff is so dark and primal. I also really enjoy KAWS (graff artist; has done several window displays for NMoCA) and Camille Rose Garcia.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My favorites are Ryan McGinness:
mcginnessball1tj.jpg
Neckface:
clawneckface2fn.jpg
Bil Zelman:
mainlarge1kx.jpg

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have that McGinness ball along with the Murakami. I...um...defininitely don't have them to kick around the house. Nope, not that.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for reknowned artists, I'm into graf/street art, so I'm quite fond of Revs (his sculpture is too cool; I finally saw his graf on the train ride to NYC a few weeks ago), Banksy, and Swoon. I love Swoon's work. Absolutely. She should have one of those "genius" awards so she can just pursue that all she wants.

I'm also a big fan of Jennifer O'Neill. You've probably never heard of her because she's a friend of mine that makes brilliant photograms. I own 4 of them.

bob

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Kaws and Neckface in the streetart scene.

I'm also a big tattoo and hotrod art fan, especially the work of Guy Aitchison, Coop, The Pizz, Gunnar, Joe Capabianco, Jime Litwalk, and Paul Booth, just to name a few.

Also a big fan of Mark Ryden. His paintings are truly amazing, in my opinion.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this one out... my wife is a fan of Ora
34_empt.jpg
I cannot think of anything else myself. Typical barbarian, I know
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ora seems to be very influenced by the style of Dali.

LK is right that contemporary is the proper definition for this (modern implicates the particular era). But it really doesn't matter. In common vernacular, modern and contemporary are synonymous.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This seems more like contemporary art.

i don't know much but i think i disagree. though the modern art era may be over, artists still produce work that is 'modern art', and this isn't the same as contemporary art.

as a for instance, i believe there is a definite thematic link between say, duchamp's urinal and the work of the chapman's (or damien hirst, or tracey emin or any of those YBA's).

in contrast though, **** like jack vettriano is contemporary, but certainly not modern. contemporary just means present doesn't it?

but as i said, i will happily be corrected.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
so there is one half decent gallery in Saigon, Galerie Quynh, owned by a Vietnamese American from San Diego (surprisingly enough, named Quynh). At the moment they are presenting some weird ass performing arts thing where they have two people sleeping in the gallery window every night. Tonight the sleeping girl is an acquaintance, so a few of us went down to, well, look at her sleeping through a window. OK, so maybe im a brute, but I dont get it. Laying there on a under a two large red blankets on a giant red mattress in a small red room is Fabrice and some guy. That's art? Theres a webcam link on the site, can someone explain this to me?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
so there is one half decent gallery in Saigon, Galerie Quynh, owned by a Vietnamese American from San Diego (surprisingly enough, named Quynh).

At the moment they are presenting some weird ass performing arts thing where they have two people sleeping in the gallery window every night. Tonight the sleeping girl is an acquaintance, so a few of us went down to, well, look at her sleeping through a window.

OK, so maybe im a brute, but I dont get it.

Laying there on a under a two large red blankets on a giant red mattress in a small red room is Fabrice and some guy.

That's art? Theres a webcam link on the site, can someone explain this to me?

It seems to be a new take on performance art which goes back to dada, but re -emrged in the late 50's -70's as a component of conceptual art. The sleeping reminds me of work by a performance artist Chris Burden or recently Tracey Emin. This may not help with the "what does it really mean" question, but the description I read left the viewer to form their own conclusions.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
i don't know much but i think i disagree. though the modern art era may be over, artists still produce work that is 'modern art', and this isn't the same as contemporary art.

as a for instance, i believe there is a definite thematic link between say, duchamp's urinal and the work of the chapman's (or damien hirst, or tracey emin or any of those YBA's).

in contrast though, **** like jack vettriano is contemporary, but certainly not modern. contemporary just means present doesn't it?

but as i said, i will happily be corrected.

Academic definitions tend to view modern art as the period from the early 20th century with Dada, Fauvism, Futurism, etc. up until Pop Art.

Contemporary art is any art made after Pop Art, it seems like Fluxus, Post Pop, the YBAs, etc.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
so there is one half decent gallery in Saigon, Galerie Quynh, owned by a Vietnamese American from San Diego (surprisingly enough, named Quynh).

At the moment they are presenting some weird ass performing arts thing where they have two people sleeping in the gallery window every night. Tonight the sleeping girl is an acquaintance, so a few of us went down to, well, look at her sleeping through a window.

OK, so maybe im a brute, but I dont get it.

Laying there on a under a two large red blankets on a giant red mattress in a small red room is Fabrice and some guy.

That's art? Theres a webcam link on the site, can someone explain this to me?

Sounds like Marina Abramovich's work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads