• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread

Kenny Lo

Reaction score
Dear Alex and Chris,

I am one of the fans and supporter of your company since your shop located in Jubilee street. And most of my shirts, suits and trousers from your shop. For me, a perfect suit is a combination of good fabric, tailor and design. Moda provides a lot of different kind and different price range of fabric, I do hope that Moda can introduce more different fabric from some British brand or order the fabric from the supplier directly for a lower price for the customers. The more discount your offer, the more I order. Second, It is no doubt that the tailor of Moda is the first class tailor in Hong Kong. They always gives useful advise on the fabric and design of suit and It is good to hear from the previous post that we can get a full canvased suit in a Moda. Lastly, the design of Moda is trendy but if the staff can give more advise on the design or suggest on the cutting or detail parts of bespoke shirt or suit is better.

icekachang

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’d like to get things rolling in this thread and get some discussion started by announcing a lucky draw that we’d like to offer to the members of Styleforum. We’d like to offer a half canvas suit for free to one lucky member and entry into the competition is simply posting your ideal suit on this thread. The deadline will be a little more than a month from now (Oct 31, 2013) and we’d also love to see the feedback users here will give other folks on their designs. As a sign of appreciation, we would like to provide some free shirts to the suit design our team decides is second best as well as a gift to users that are active in discussions on our affiliate thread.

The format for entering the competition should be:
1. Specifications of the suit such as the cutting, the type of shoulders (natural or more structured), color of the fabric, lapel width, how many buttons, pocket styles, etc.
2. A reference photo or two so the folks here can get an idea of what you’re thinking of
3. What occasion you have in mind for the suit, your own wedding? A friend’s wedding? Everyday work? Graduation? Prom? Starting a new job? A special event coming up? Let us know to get us excited for your suit!

So what happens after we pick the winner?

We’ll work with the winner to either let them choose from one of the suit fabrics that is already on our website (if it matches close enough to their ideal suit), or the winner can utilize our Find A Fabric service where we’ll help them find a fabric they like. Also if you win but you’re worried about measuring yourself you can use our virtual tailor service to video conference our team for measurement guidance.

Let's get this started and we look forward to seeing what people have in mind!

Hi Alex and Chris,

I am a law student, and therefore my ideal suit would have to be something that looks sharp, while still being conservative enough to wear to court. Given the strict restrictions on court attire in my jurisdiction, the ideal suit would have to define itself by having a superior fit, and details that suit the wearer perfectly. To answer the questions:

Question 1
Generally - The suit would be a three piece
Cutting - I am a fan of the English style of tailoring, which in my understanding entails waist suppression, a flared skirt, open quarters, and a well defined shoulderline.
Shoulders - I prefer to wear suits that are relatively lightly constructed, as they are more comfortable when worn for long periods of time. The Huntsman visit thread suggests that a distinctively English silhouette is compatible with a relatively thin shoulder pad. Additionally, I do not like roped shoulders.
Colour - The fabric would have to be a dark charcoal approaching black, given the need to be court-appropriate
Lapels - I prefer a wider lapel. To be specific, something marginally longer than halfway to the shoulder seam. Furthermore, I prefer a high gorge, as it creates a longer sweeping lapel line. Finally, I would prefer a stiffer canvas in the lapel, that would allow it to roll nicely.
Buttons - I prefer the look of a 2 button suit.
Pocket - While I like to have them, I would forego ticket pockets in order to enhance formality. Pockets would be hacking, and slanted to about 25 degrees.
Length - The suit would be the classic length - ending slightly beyond half the distance between the collar and the ground.

Question 2
This photo from Anderson and Sheppard's website is to me how I would like the suit to look, generally. Everything from the shoulder to the lapel roll to the gorges is perfect. Certainly, there are minor differences that I have prescribed, and I am not sure I would like my suit to drape quite like one from A&S, but the picture to me represents true sartorial elegance.

Question 3
This suit would strictly be worn to work, or to court where necessary. It would not need to straddle different levels of formality.

I am thrilled to participate in this contest. I hope to see more interesting replies about what everyone's ideal suit would be!

Alex-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Kenny, thanks for your kind words. We'd love to hear more from the other members in this forum and let us know what you like for a chance to win a free suit!

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now in my life, I'm not a traditional suit-wearer on a daily basis. I tend to skew more towards a casual wardrobe. That said, I would love to see a black textured weave wool suit with structured shoulders and a moderate taper to the waist, 2.5" peak lapels with a functioning boutonniere button hole, 1 button jacket. The jacket has a low button stance and frogmouth anatomically slanted pockets and a ticket pocket, so it resembles a casual take on a tuxedo jacket without the satin or grosgrain lapels. The pants would have belt loops and waist band with hidden waist buttons, and a slim-straight leg with significant taper with no cuff.

It is a suit that can be worn with a white shirt like below though it would be worn with a hidden placket shirt instead (and the jacket would have peak lapels and a lower button stance, and more structured shoulders as well as slanted pockets and a ticket pocket):
suit_cod49133147fd.html]

or like this:
flags

In fact that second picture would be a good indicator for how the jacket would fit. It could also be worn more casually with a u neck t shirt and side-zip black boots, which I've been trying to find pictures of but have been failing to do so. Basically, this is a suit that's much more casual than the normal fares around these parts.

(I know this isn't going to be taken well by the general MC population, but I figured I'd add a different perspective. Hope no one crucifies me for this!)

GauchoSF

Reaction score
Excellent opportunity, excited to see what people come up with...

facet

Reaction score

Hi guys,
I’d like to get things rolling in this thread and get some discussion started by announcing a lucky draw that we’d like to offer to the members of Styleforum. We’d like to offer a half canvas suit for free to one lucky member and entry into the competition is simply posting your ideal suit on this thread. The deadline will be a little more than a month from now (Oct 31, 2013) and we’d also love to see the feedback users here will give other folks on their designs. As a sign of appreciation, we would like to provide some free shirts to the suit design our team decides is second best as well as a gift to users that are active in discussions on our affiliate thread.
1. Specifications of the suit such as the cutting, the type of shoulders (natural or more structured), color of the fabric, lapel width, how many buttons, pocket styles, etc.
2. A reference photo or two so the folks here can get an idea of what you’re thinking of
3. What occasion you have in mind for the suit, your own wedding? A friend’s wedding? Everyday work? Graduation? Prom? Starting a new job? A special event coming up? Let us know to get us excited for your suit!
So what happens after we pick the winner?
We’ll work with the winner to either let them choose from one of the suit fabrics that is already on our website (if it matches close enough to their ideal suit), or the winner can utilize our Find A Fabric service where we’ll help them find a fabric they like. Also if you win but you’re worried about measuring yourself you can use our virtual tailor service to video conference our team for measurement guidance. Let's get this started and we look forward to seeing what people have in mind!
Nice offer that you guys have going on and the pictures of your work have been pretty impressive thus far. 1. For me, by ideal would be a navy suit, though one that is a slightly lighter shade (kind of like navy with a bit of royal blue). I also like the more tapered waists of European suits; however, I really like like the look of a more natural shoulder line (my favourite sport coat has no padding). Three piece, two button, side vents, the lapel width would be half way to the shoulder line. 2. This photo gives an idea of the colour that I like.
While this one, I think, is more reflective of the fit I would have in mind.
3. It would be for my wedding; but ultimately to be used in any situation that called for a suit. Interested in seeing what others have to submit as their ideal suit.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. 3 parts tweed suit with that cloth: http://harristweedshop.com/tweed-harris/harris-dogtooth-multi-pattern.jpg
  • 3 roll 2 jacket with 3'' notched lapel. Ticket pocket and 2 normal pockets all flap pockets. Strong structured shoulders a little bit oversized for give me a little bit more sidecut than my figure normally has (I am a 42S). 5 buttons on the sleeves, 2 of them as working buttons.
  • DB Vest with peak lapel and 6 buttons. 4 welt pockets.
  • Trouser with 2 pockets in the front and no pockets behind. 2 creases and 2 tucks and 1,5'' cuffs. Buttons for braces and 12'' rise

3. That suit is for spending my leisure time in the nature

I´m not native speaker and I hope that I used the right technical terms.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. I have a two piece two maybe 3 roll 2 button suit with twin vents and flap pockets in mind, medium wide (i.e. 4/10th of shoulder width) notch lapels with high gorge, lightly padded slightly roped shoulders, in a typical prince of wales plaid.The trousers would be medium high waisted with an offset single forward pleat and 2 inch cuffs. no belt loops, instead buttons for braces on the inside and side metal adjusters.

2. The scale of the glen plaid should be large enough to work as an odd jacket while still being conservative enough to work as a suit. like this:

However I prefer the shoulders slightly more roped:

3. I'd wear it as a casual suit to work, with either a pale blue or pastel green university striped shirt and a chunky silk knit or grenadine tie (solid chocolate brown or navy blue) and with cream or tan trousers as an odd jacket on weekends. Paired with a solid shirt (white or pale blue) the suit can be dressed up for a more conservative look.

Last edited:

Kenny Lo

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I want to get more information of the trend of bespoke suit and shirt. BTW, I want to join this lucky draw to win a bespoke suit.

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Alex and Chris,

I am one of the fans and supporter of your company since your shop located in Jubilee street. And most of my shirts, suits and trousers from your shop. For me, a perfect suit is a combination of good fabric, tailor and design. Moda provides a lot of different kind and different price range of fabric, I do hope that Moda can introduce more different fabric from some British brand or order the fabric from the supplier directly for a lower price for the customers. The more discount your offer, the more I order. Second, It is no doubt that the tailor of Moda is the first class tailor in Hong Kong. They always gives useful advise on the fabric and design of suit and It is good to hear from the previous post that we can get a full canvased suit in a Moda. Lastly, the design of Moda is trendy but if the staff can give more advise on the design or suggest on the cutting or detail parts of bespoke shirt or suit is better.

Kenny,

I'm glad you found your way to our thread and took the time to write us such a glowing review. Over time we do indeed to broaden our fabric selection to include notable British brands like Holland & Sherry! Thank you for your valuable input, I will let our staff know to be more proactive with giving advice on designs, cutting and detail aspects for the shirts and suits. In the past we tend to offer more advice when clients ask, but we'll work on actively giving it even when not asked to. Look forward to seeing you at our store again!

-Chris

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice offer that you guys have going on and the pictures of your work have been pretty impressive thus far.

1. For me, by ideal would be a navy suit, though one that is a slightly lighter shade (kind of like navy with a bit of royal blue). I also like the more tapered waists of European suits; however, I really like like the look of a more natural shoulder line (my favourite sport coat has no padding). Three piece, two button, side vents, the lapel width would be half way to the shoulder line.

2. This photo gives an idea of the colour that I like.

While this one, I think, is more reflective of the fit I would have in mind.

3. It would be for my wedding; but ultimately to be used in any situation that called for a suit.

Interested in seeing what others have to submit as their ideal suit.

sounds like a beautiful suit, and the navy color you chose is a personal favorite color of mine too! what about the pants? how would you have it done?

Kenny Lo

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Actually, all the staffs working in Moda are expertise on bespoke suit and shirt. Since I am not the professional of this, so I really want to get some advise from them. Glad to know that Moda is going to introduce more fabric such as Holland & Sherry. I am looking forward that we can have more fabric to tailor made our suit. I do think that the major concern for the customers is buying the best product in a reasonable price. More promotion that you offer, more better!!!
Beside new fabric, new cutting for informal function is good for bespoke tailor shop nowadays. Not only the suit or blazer, trousers and shirt for informal function are also welcome to the customers.

Last edited:

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, we haven't put many shirts on this thread yet so I thought we would start with 2 first. One is a bit more unique and the client designed it himself. Enjoy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads