1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alex-ModaR, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GauchoSF

GauchoSF Active Member

Excellent opportunity, excited to see what people come up with...

2. facet

facet Senior member

Nice offer that you guys have going on and the pictures of your work have been pretty impressive thus far. 1. For me, by ideal would be a navy suit, though one that is a slightly lighter shade (kind of like navy with a bit of royal blue). I also like the more tapered waists of European suits; however, I really like like the look of a more natural shoulder line (my favourite sport coat has no padding). Three piece, two button, side vents, the lapel width would be half way to the shoulder line. 2. This photo gives an idea of the colour that I like. [​IMG] While this one, I think, is more reflective of the fit I would have in mind. [​IMG] 3. It would be for my wedding; but ultimately to be used in any situation that called for a suit. Interested in seeing what others have to submit as their ideal suit.

3. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

1. 3 parts tweed suit with that cloth: http://harristweedshop.com/tweed-harris/harris-dogtooth-multi-pattern.jpg
    • 3 roll 2 jacket with 3'' notched lapel. Ticket pocket and 2 normal pockets all flap pockets. Strong structured shoulders a little bit oversized for give me a little bit more sidecut than my figure normally has (I am a 42S). 5 buttons on the sleeves, 2 of them as working buttons.
    • DB Vest with peak lapel and 6 buttons. 4 welt pockets.
    • Trouser with 2 pockets in the front and no pockets behind. 2 creases and 2 tucks and 1,5'' cuffs. Buttons for braces and 12'' rise
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. That suit is for spending my leisure time in the nature

I´m not native speaker and I hope that I used the right technical terms.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

1. I have a two piece two maybe 3 roll 2 button suit with twin vents and flap pockets in mind, medium wide (i.e. 4/10th of shoulder width) notch lapels with high gorge, lightly padded slightly roped shoulders, in a typical prince of wales plaid.The trousers would be medium high waisted with an offset single forward pleat and 2 inch cuffs. no belt loops, instead buttons for braces on the inside and side metal adjusters.

2. The scale of the glen plaid should be large enough to work as an odd jacket while still being conservative enough to work as a suit. like this:

[​IMG]

However I prefer the shoulders slightly more roped:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I'd wear it as a casual suit to work, with either a pale blue or pastel green university striped shirt and a chunky silk knit or grenadine tie (solid chocolate brown or navy blue) and with cream or tan trousers as an odd jacket on weekends. Paired with a solid shirt (white or pale blue) the suit can be dressed up for a more conservative look.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

Thanks for your reply, I want to get more information of the trend of bespoke suit and shirt. BTW, I want to join this lucky draw to win a bespoke suit.

7. Chris-ModaR

Chris-ModaR Well-Known Member

Kenny,

I'm glad you found your way to our thread and took the time to write us such a glowing review. Over time we do indeed to broaden our fabric selection to include notable British brands like Holland & Sherry! Thank you for your valuable input, I will let our staff know to be more proactive with giving advice on designs, cutting and detail aspects for the shirts and suits. In the past we tend to offer more advice when clients ask, but we'll work on actively giving it even when not asked to. Look forward to seeing you at our store again!

-Chris

8. Chris-ModaR

sounds like a beautiful suit, and the navy color you chose is a personal favorite color of mine too! what about the pants? how would you have it done?

9. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

Hi Chris,

Actually, all the staffs working in Moda are expertise on bespoke suit and shirt. Since I am not the professional of this, so I really want to get some advise from them. Glad to know that Moda is going to introduce more fabric such as Holland & Sherry. I am looking forward that we can have more fabric to tailor made our suit. I do think that the major concern for the customers is buying the best product in a reasonable price. More promotion that you offer, more better!!!
    Beside new fabric, new cutting for informal function is good for bespoke tailor shop nowadays. Not only the suit or blazer, trousers and shirt for informal function are also welcome to the customers.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. Chris-ModaR

Hey guys, we haven't put many shirts on this thread yet so I thought we would start with 2 first. One is a bit more unique and the client designed it himself. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. facet

facet Senior member

Thanks Chris. Yeah, I love the richness of that shade of blue.

Good question, as I hadn't thought too much about that, I guess. I tend to just like standard contruction with a flat front, zip fly and clip closure, split V-back, lining to the knee, 10" rise, moderate tapering. Standard belt loops as I had purchased a suit before with side tabs and ended up not liking them. I do like that rubber lining in the waistband to prevent the shirt from slipping out and a couple things that my Benjamin suit trousers have are a belt keeper loop and fob pocket, which I've found to be pretty handy.

Cheers

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Hi guys

I work a great deal in the education sector, so on any given day I might be meeting with the 22 year old Student Union President in a hoody or the vice chancellor replete with knighthood and sceptre. As a result I need to tread a fine line between fashionable & cool, and formal.

As a result I like an aggressive cut that would be acceptable in a fashion blog but that will not raise eyebrows from the old guard of Savile Row. With this in mind I take inspiration from both the likes of Huntsman and Tommy Nutter (though to be fair it is more E. Sexton than Mr Nutter in the final incarnation).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all the posts.... hope to hear from more members! Please remember the contest ends Oct 26! On a separate note we want to get you guys into our clothes so you can see first hand what it's about so besides this contest we're thinking about offering some coupons that give significant discounts.... stay tuned!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  14. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Hi Chris,

Your site looks good and I dig that you're offering a well-constructed suit at an affordable price.

As for what suit I would design:
    Coat
    I would go with a two button, single breasted suit with a soft and light construction -- natural shoulders -- with the following specs:
    - light grey fabric (versatile and just a little bit casual)
    - straight flap pockets
    - notch lapels (3.5 inches so it matches your ties; personally dislike the trend of skinny lapels)
    - mid-brown buttons
    - double vents
    - functional boutonniere
    - functional sleeve buttons

Pants
    - waist adjuster or 'waist tightener'; no belt loops
    - flat front (no pleats)
    - 2 inch cuff
    - no break so the pants end just at your shoes

Overall it would look something like this:

[​IMG]

For me a suit needs to be sharp enough to wear for work, but have a softness about it that lends itself to casual wear too. I think soft construction or Neapolitan style of tailoring allows for this. A light grey suit is versatile; it harmonises with most colours and can be dressed up or down quite easily. It is also quite forgiving against most skin tones.

I would wear the suit around the office, wear the jacket with jeans on the weekend or add a pocket square and lapel pin for a fancy event like a wedding.

15. catside

catside Senior member

POW pattern, worsted wool, 3 piece with natural shoulders, lapel vest.

[​IMG]

Will see regular rotation use, academic work.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Can I participate even if I'm in Mexico?

17. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Hi Chris,
    I would love to design a conservative suit for business wear. I will add this to my regular rotation and wear it very frequently. I also wish for this suit to be wedding appropriate.
    1. Specs:
    1. I have always wanted a Navy Glenn Plaid suit in a durable Worsted
    2. 2 Button
    3. Single Breasted
    4. I love love love structured shoulders like those on Brioni coats(Pagoda if you can do that for this contest)
    5. Moderate roping
    6. mild-moderate amount of waist suppression
    7. Low buttoning point that is level with my navel - they segment my body better
    8. Clean chest
    9. 3.5-3.75" notch lapels that reach halfway between the collar and shoulder seam
    10. No pick stitching
    11. Shoulder-height lapel gorge
    12. Straight Lapels - No lapel belly
    13. Center vent
    14. Horn Buttons
    15. standard flap pockets(and standard height)
    16. Non-functioning cuffs; kissing buttons w/ no overlap
    17. Reinforced pockets - I use the exterior and interior pockets often. I actually bugs me when they remain basted shut
    18. Trousers with a long rise that settles near my navel so that the buttoning point and waistband are within 2" of each other when I wear the suit
    19. Side tab adjusters(thus no belt loops)
    20. single pleat
    21. No pick stitching on pockets
    22. No rear pockets
    23. 1.75” turn ups
    24. Half break
    25. Slightly fitted trousers - roomier than ones in pic(After much experimentation, I have found a 9" opening when laid flat with a slight taper to be perfect)
    26. 2nd pair of trousers
    2. Pics
    A swatch of the fabric for the suit

[​IMG]
    A picture I've attached depicts the silhouette, shoulders(except Pagoda if possible) and gorge(a tiny bit lower though) that the suit would have. The suit would be longer, with a proportionately lower buttoning point. The Tuxedo you made has a great buttoning stance; I would lengthen the coat 1" on this suit to keep things a bit more proportionate.. It also has perfectly open quarters just the way I like them. I love the Tom Ford attached - I'd just like less suppression

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. Chris-ModaR

Hi Kayhill,

Thanks for joining the competition! I love the reference photo you put and I agree with you that as I've learned more about suits and my passion for this item of clothing has grown, I really love the look of wide lapels over skinny. Skinny lapels definitely have their place in fashion and I think they look equally great on a suit that is tailored to match the style, but I love the way a wide lapel rolls on well made suit!

Cuffed pants are so rare nowadays but a tailor-made pair of cuffed trousers I feel, really adds to overall aesthetic of the suit.

19. robbersarb

robbersarb Active Member

As a student approaching his graduation I would love to have the perfect suit but being a traditional guy I like a 20s looking
    When describing it to myself I suddenly realised that it did already exist in the wardrobe of one Bertram Wilberforce Wooster!
    -Three piece suit
    -Strong padded shoulders with a fitted cut
    -Mid grey fabric
    -2 button
    -Wide peaked lapels falling just past the middle of the shoulder
    -8 button double breasted waistcoat with peaked lapels
    -English backed trousers, cut high for suspenders and with a cuff
    But, as a picture says a thousand words:

[​IMG]
    The suit the man on the left is wearing
    Regards,
    Tom

20. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

1. Specs

• Air Force Blue color
    • 3 piece
    • Peak lapel jacket (medium width lapel, gorge height so that it doesn't escape to the shoulders but doesn't sit too low on the chest either)
    • Shawl lapel vest
    • Somewhat structured shoulders
    • Single button jacket with a fairly low buttoning point
    • Four button vest, again with buttons set fairly low to show more tie
    • Jacket pockets with flaps, jetted pockets on vest
    • Trousers with belt loops
    • In general the suit would have a fairly slim fit as I'm in a reasonably athletic shape.

2. Pics

Concept art:
    [​IMG]

Color similar to ol' Tom here:
    [​IMG]

3. Use

This would be used as an everyday suit. I don't have a dress code at work but do like suits so I wear them for anything from work to evening out with friends. I also like my suits a bit out of the norm (no conservative business dress for me!) with more peacocky colors. The vest has a different lapel because at work I tend to take off my jacket so I think the shawl lapel would add some interest to an otherwise fairly simple vest.