• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to remind you all that there's a Friday Challenge that's just up our street...

Inkss

Reaction score
The last pair of Dr Martens I had were terrible. The leather split where it creases on the toe after a few months, and the upper came away from the sole on the instep. Those were MiE ones as well, and I look after my shoes.
I'd have to say Solovair.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Solovair, though to be fair I do have a pair of MiE Docs and they’re comfy and the leather is nice. Only thing with Solovairs is that the eyelets tend ro come out.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Solovair, though to be fair I do have a pair of MiE Docs and they’re comfy and the leather is nice. Only thing with Solovairs is that the eyelets tend ro come out.

I prefer the shape of the Solovair as it seems to suit the shape of my feet better and the way the heel is on the outside. .

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
New shirts are in
IMG_20191213_174537933.jpg
IMG_20191213_173459608.jpg
IMG_20191213_174036477.jpg
IMG_20191213_172548228.jpg
IMG_20191213_172923773.jpg
IMG_20191213_174209289.jpg
IMG_20191213_174358995_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20191213_173649229.jpg

loveless

Reaction score
Hello, long time stalker here, sorry but for me I much prefer the Doctor Marten shape over the Solovairs, I’m 61 and can’t claim to be an original skin, [i was born in i1959 so in ‘69 would be ten years old! I was though massively influenced by the skinhead culture, I’m from Derbyshire and my abiding memories are of summer holidays at Butlins in Filey, the older boys wearing Levi and Wrangler jacket and jeans, Sta-Press trousers and cherry red Doc‘s, I suppose I was caught between the Suedeheads and Bootboy/Glam movements, round collar Brutus shirts, Prince of Wales check trousers, Crombie copy coats from Harry Fentons complete with red pocket squares off the market, tank tops and monkey boots. At school we wore Slazenger and Puma jumpers, never button down shirts and always big, daft round collar shirts, baggy trousers worn short with yellow or red socks and Doc Marten boots or tassel loafers. no one I know polished their boots or shoes, something I tend to forget with age as I spit shine all my 1460/1461’s or Loakes to a military shine now, hey, beat me up, I was a 13 year old doing a paper round and more interested in getting work done and getting to the local youth club to look at the girls than ******* around polishing my footwear! Music wise I was listening to Slade/ The Sweet/ Marc Bolan and T-Rex/ Johnny Kongos/ Tamla Motown and Trojan records, later as I got older, [17-18!] I concentrated on the Northern Soul scene and still have all my vinyl from back in the day but that’s for another day, loads of stuff to post now i‘ve broke my duck but going back to the original theme, doc’s were originally work wear, cheap, disposable and throw away, just like all the other items back in the day. It was a fashion thing, for all our wanting to believe we were all strutting around town in Barracuta Harrington’s we were really buying them off the Indian bloke on the market, [hey, I’m still buying them off the same Indian bloke on the market as I did and H is now a good friend] for me it’s still about basics, clean and sharp. As I slip into my twilight years I can now afford to indulge in my passion for top gear, i still dress in the hard mod way, 501’s desert boots, quality knitwear, shirts and yes, Chinese made Doc Martens, I hold my hands up, it doesn’t matter where it’s made, it’s how you wear it and if you don’t mind me saying, I wear it well.........

Newton heath

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me where to buy a bd shirt in the same style collar as early seventies bens without paying silly money , I despair looking at some of the bd collars of today,

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me where to buy a bd shirt in the same style collar as early seventies bens without paying silly money , I despair looking at some of the bd collars of today,
It all depends on what you are prepared to spend.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Ben Sherman vintage range on sale for about 40 quid recently with good 3 fingerish collars in plain colours, the one that I would have liked was a blue/pink/white striped one, but was still 80 quid so didn't go for it. Haven't bought BS for about 25 years because of the collars and quality but these are nice. I tend to buy Gant, Brooks Brothers or from John Simons in the sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads