• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing ladies wearing camouflage nylons , which reminded me of the netting used to hide artillary units , put me right of it. .camouflage that is. .the military call it DPM , which is easier to spell. .:cool:

Inkss

Reaction score
There was a misunderstanding at the hosiery company when they heard about 'bush camouflage'
camo.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped on an old mate of mine today, that I was in a Mod scooter club with between 83 to 86. We lost touch shortly after that, and then for some unforseeable coincidence we met again in 1999 when I was DJing at a club in London in Finsbury Park at the end of Severn Sisters Road to celebrate 20 years since Mods May Day in 79. He had gone to London to see the Prisoners who had reformed for a few gigs, and went along to the do. At the time he was gobsmacked to see me DJing and still a Mod, and me the same to see him there.
But getting to the point it is now 20 years since then and he is still a Mod, looking lean, with less hair. He was wearing Levis, Weejuns and Pea Coat. He said that he had moved down South to Barnsley. Back in the 80s he was really into the revival bands, that I wasn't really into apart from The Jam, but they were never a Mod band in my opinion, but one of the greatest bands of all time. He asked me in about 83to go with him to see a band in London that he was mates with called Small World, we stayed at a band members place over night, and the next morning nursing a major hangover a knock came on the door and it was Weller, who had come around to discuss producing the bands next record.
All this said does anyone still see old mates and are they still sporting the look.
P.S. My best mate who I have known since I was 4 is still a Mod, I see him from time to time, and still argue about what being a Mod means.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this said does anyone still see old mates and are they still sporting the look.

It's amazing how rarely you bump into people, just a handful over the last ten years. Most had something of the look about them still but how many do I just not recognise anymore. Only one regular contact, doesn't look it anymore but remains very fond of her time as a skinhead.

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I knew when I was younger moved out of the area. I'm not on facebook or anything like that, so I have no idea what happened to them.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how rarely you bump into people, just a handful over the last ten years. Most had something of the look about them still but how many do I just not recognise anymore. Only one regular contact, doesn't look it anymore but remains very fond of her time as a skinhead.

Many of my early days friends are dead. Drugs, violence, etc., but of the ones who ARE still around, the look has been toned WAY down, including for me. Smart and clean looking, but more casuals style now with a mix of harringtons, C.P. company/Stone Island/Barbour/Adidas/desert boots/good shoes. Most others now sport the band t-shirt/beard/Bic-bald/dumpy jeans/Adidas Samba look, and make fun of anyone vaguely still interested in style or good music. Sad really.

Newton heath

Reaction score
We have a reunion three times a year two of us have the “ look” . Now how do you define the “ look”?, well not copy for copy of years ago , just smart ,example we both had overcoats on bd plain shirts slim trousers and brogues , the others some had moved on from skinheads to hippies at the time ?‍♂️, but now they just wear casual t shirts ,jeans and shorts . Nothing wrong with that but if I go out I like to make the effort , today I’m going to football with a different group of friends who I met in my thirties only myself and two others will make the effort , another Point is nowadays I have a little more disposable income to indulge.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Alright, folks, long time no post.

I still read all the postings - and very enlightening and enjoyable most are - but I've not had anything of interest to add, so I've kept schtum.

Just started to go through the threads from the beginning, again, and it makes my sad old memory even sadder - where did my youth go?

So, keep at it, looking forward to MoM's book, and have a great Christmas and New Year. :)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I knew when I was younger moved out of the area. I'm not on facebook or anything like that, so I have no idea what happened to them.

it’s an interesting topic.
January will make 30 years since I unwittingly emigrated to America. I drifted out to the look and into jeans and t shirts for a while until getting back into a white collar job around 2008 which got me to rededicate to more stylish threads.

Obviously I almost never come across anyone else who dresses likewise which was the main motivation in me starting the blog five years ago to ease my feelings of isolation.

My best mate from age 4 joined me in the revival around 1978 and has maintained an interest throughout marriage, kids etc so when we email we still sometimes chat about style. When I go home we meet up and he’s usually just dressed in t shirt and jeans but he was obsessed with Merc at one point so the t shirt is likely Merc or something similar.

Aside from the blog I’m not on social media so probably limiting my ability to be in contact with some other like minded stylish lads.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Friday challenge up - you might find it right up your... er... street.

Newton heath

Reaction score
Re my previous post , I was wrong surprisingly most of us have turned up for football “ stylish”?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads