• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Yes! I was only a kid at the time but my recollection is that the original skin scene was short lived as it soon widened out and morphed into the bootboy thing which was much less well defined. Boot boys grew their hair out often in Bowie-esque spiky styles or else the ubiquitous middle parting and ear warmers. They weren’t dedicated to reggae and ska and were into glam and top 40 stuff like Slade, Bowie, Sweet. They weren’t as dedicated to fashion and were mostly content in double denim and Doc Martens but maintained their interest in football. Platform shoes, star jumpers and flares came in. I distinctly remember one older lad putting talk on his side zip boots to make them look silver in the dark!! My (totally unsupported) theory is that the defined skin look wasn’t that endearing to anyone outside the scene, and that the above examples of ‘softening’ of the skin image were mainly done to appear more attractive to girls who were put off by the harder skin look.

These are my recollections and of course there were regional variations.

I have a pair of flares meself, worn here with monkey boots(also wearing an old 70s dagger collar shirt) i actually quite like them lol.

_20191120_100757.JPG

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of flares meself, worn here with monkey boots(also wearing an old 70s dagger collar shirt) i actually quite like them lol.

View attachment 1283670

Tell ya fella, hats off to you for putting together a period-style ensemble... but do you wear the flares and spear point collar out and about? Not trying to bust your balls, just wondering.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Tell ya fella, hats off to you for putting together a period-style ensemble... but do you wear the flares and spear point collar out and about? Not trying to bust your balls, just wondering.
yep, that picture is from today at my mams, she said they make me look like im in the navy lol

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for some reason to me they still look better and somehow more masculine then the modern skinny jeans you see blokes wear these days.

Hahahaha yeah! But then again, ANYTHING is more masculine than those skinny, form-fitting all the way down, cut off the circulation to your feet, girl trews.

Hey good on you for being brave enough to wear that gear around-- maybe you'll start a new trend!

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Hahahaha yeah! But then again, ANYTHING is more masculine than those skinny, form-fitting all the way down, cut off the circulation to your feet, girl trews.

Hey good on you for being brave enough to wear that gear around-- maybe you'll start a new trend!

I don't mind when slim women wear them but not blokes.

I didn't have a second thought when wearing them to be honest, one of the best skills in life is not being bothered about what others think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads