• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Gsvs5

Reaction score
My (totally unsupported) theory is that the defined skin look wasn’t that endearing to anyone outside the scene, and that the above examples of ‘softening’ of the skin image were mainly done to appear more attractive to girls who were put off by the harder skin look.

These are my recollections and of course there were regional variations.

It was simply that street fashion was following what was seen on TOTP.
It was very fast and Bolan satin jackets were probably the biggest smack in the face to anything worn in the previous twelve months.It had nothing to do with any conscious decisions about lads pulling........remember the girls look changed also.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! I was only a kid at the time but my recollection is that the original skin scene was short lived as it soon widened out and morphed into the bootboy thing which was much less well defined. Boot boys grew their hair out often in Bowie-esque spiky styles or else the ubiquitous middle parting and ear warmers. They weren’t dedicated to reggae and ska and were into glam and top 40 stuff like Slade, Bowie, Sweet. They weren’t as dedicated to fashion and were mostly content in double denim and Doc Martens but maintained their interest in football. Platform shoes, star jumpers and flares came in.

That's a pretty good summation. I would add that crombies (with hankie!) and grey Staprest continued on as 'school uniform' in secondary schools (11 - 16) for a few years. The last I can remember seeing it was during the 1975/76 school year.

Last edited:

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
For school age kids "crombies" (always cheap knock offs) were worn until they didn't fit no more (including hand me downs) or were too tatty. As far as high street glam goes, when Adam Faith's "Budgie" donned that sky blue satin jacket thousands followed. "Budgie" was a huge influence on High Street Style - clothing and hair, all across London.

Inkss

Reaction score
Harringey garment district got knock-off fashions from the TV out to the stalls of Wembley Market during the 70s/80s in a matter of days.
You have to wait a bit longer now for the container from China to arrive.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
As far as high street glam goes, when Adam Faith's "Budgie" donned that sky blue satin jacket thousands followed. "Budgie" was a huge influence on High Street Style - clothing and hair, all across London.

So true Natty,though it would take me another couple of years before I adopted a pr of white clogs after seeing them worn en masse by Scandinavian students in London and the South coast.
Sadly for me it seems we are just going over old ground in this forum thread as we mine the past and have lost so many great contributors.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For school age kids "crombies" (always cheap knock offs) were worn until they didn't fit no more (including hand me downs) or were too tatty. As far as high street glam goes, when Adam Faith's "Budgie" donned that sky blue satin jacket thousands followed. "Budgie" was a huge influence on High Street Style - clothing and hair, all across London.
Yes , I concur but the show was a load of breeks and the other part of the franchise 'Charles Endell Esquire' was truly cringe worthy . .

ShortBackAndSides

Reaction score
Well I remember street fashion still being very important through the 70's, and detail being just as crucial as earlier. I think we tend to just dismiss it as having been easy to find cheap rubbish because it is not on our radar now. From memory some sort after items at the time were : flared sta-press with built in turn-ups, penny round collar shirts with contrast colour yokes, tank tops, two tone laces, flared trousers with French (inverted) pleats down the side, Simon shirts, high-waisted baggy parallel trousers with side pockets, baggy parallel trousers with pleats and tunnel belt loops, back pocket flaps and imitation front change pockets being a necessary detail, Solatio shoes with "horseshoes" or Blakeys, and yes AirWair boots (don't remember them ever being called DM's then), cap sleeve t-shirts (some with custom lettering only available on a visit to a seaside resort), long leather and cord coats worn with the belt tied around the back, leather bomber jackets, A-line trousers, shirts covered with character prints (e.g. Laurel and Hardy), Falmer jeans (with rivets on the back pockets) and waistcoats, see-through plastic belts with designs inside.

andyf

Reaction score
You might like this @andyf

Take a look inside a "vintage" ('90s) DM boot.

[/QUOT
I remember glueing those shanks in place on piecework on one occasion. Plus painting glue on sole which all went through a heater to be rewarmed. then attached onto the boot which then already had the yellow welt in place. Pre sole. They looked quite odd.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I don't know if you have spotted the current Friday Challenge, which should be right up your street:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harringey garment district got knock-off fashions from the TV out to the stalls of Wembley Market during the 70s/80s in a matter of days.
You have to wait a bit longer now for the container from China to arrive.

Wembley market ? Yes that was quite a big operation from the early 1970s. Those skimpy little leather bomber jackets were a big seller there. Saved a trip to Petticoat Lane for those in NW London.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
pressure drop do let us know if he cuts the Made In England DM's in half. I had a pair , when they first re-introduced them and they lasted no longer then the regular modern pairs.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wembley market ? Yes that was quite a big operation from the early 1970s. Those skimpy little leather bomber jackets were a big seller there. Saved a trip to Petticoat Lane for those in NW London.
I vaguely remember very short lightweight leather / pleather bomber jackets with elasticated nylon at the hems and cuffs being in for a while. This was early to mid seventies some time before cheap leather shops sprang up selling ‘Fonzie’ style leather jackets a few years later.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Kingstonian & Thin White Duke, in London the leather bomber was the standard/most popular replacement for the Harrington and was available at a variety prices (usually reflective of quality).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads