• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same in Blackpool
There was a Wrangler factory up here, so they had the predominance. You had to look a bit harder to get Levi's.
I recall seeing brand X jeans but never jaikets. Of course that was back in the days when old men like us didnae wear denim. .

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I quite like the navy one. But between this and my crombie, I'd always pick my crombie - so probably a superfluous investment.

On the other hand, I would fancy a black or navy coat that's a bit more tank-like and prepared to take tough weather than a crombie is. Maybe something on the maritime side of things. I guess that's a peacoat, then.

Not a duffel, nor a peacoat, but these Samsoe & Samsoe 'Bryn Coats' looked flattering and a good length.

View attachment 1279744

View attachment 1279745

I tried on an XXL the other week, but it was still too tight across the chest & shoulders.?

Last edited:

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I think we all have a fairly good inkling where everybody stands politically*, but I agree political debate is best kept out fashion threads.

*the only one I can't quite figure out is @covskin, who just seems cynical

Whilst our system isnae the best , it is still better than many others .
Its business as usual during renovations.
I'm not affiliated to any political party and one of the great things about this thread is politics is mostly kept out of it.

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a Wrangler factory up here, so they had the predominance. You had to look a bit harder to get Levi's.
I recall seeing brand X jeans but never jaikets. Of course that was back in the days when old men like us didnae wear denim. .
Unless you were an old rocker!

Inkss

Reaction score
Might have something now to do with my button-down obsession.
I'm not too far off
IMAG0008.jpg

The ebay cheapskate parade.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you were an old rocker!

Indeed . I got a picture of sitting in a cafe with a couple of buddies , scooters outside , when in walks an old guy in grubby, ice blue denims, knee length boots with the once white socks rolled over the tops , shabby bikers jaiket flapping around, huge beard and eggshell helmet in hand. .
. .and while lm still taking this in , my buddie John says just a little too loud "why is it Rockers are always ugly baisturts?"

To this day , I have been unable to answer John's question. .

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same I never my neck of the woods as well.

Here it was “jean jacket” or “dungaree jacket”. Yeah “trucker” seems like what post-internet web shoppers/iGents call them, only because that’s what they’re called on the webstores. Type 1, 2, 3? Never knew what that meant till a few years ago. Just knew I liked the type 3 cos it looked “right”.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the use of the word SCAB, is one of the worst insults that can be used.
After the miners strike in 85, if you called someone a Scab, it was a sackable offence. So we called them Sausage Chips And Beans, or Henry's after Henry Wakefield, who scabbed in Mike Baldwins nicker factory, in Coronation Street in the 80's.
For you not in the know Coronation Street is a long running British soap.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Here it was “jean jacket” or “dungaree jacket”. Yeah “trucker” seems like what post-internet web shoppers/iGents call them, only because that’s what they’re called on the webstores. Type 1, 2, 3? Never knew what that meant till a few years ago. Just knew I liked the type 3 cos it looked “right”.
Never called it a trucker until I started working at the Levi's store. We called it a denim jacket before. When I saw it being marketed as a trucker it felt cringy and very hipster. I just imagined some Allston douche with a big beard, mesh PBR baseball cap, skinny jeans and a bunch of meaningless tattoos who goes to indie folk basement shows.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never called it a trucker until I started working at the Levi's store. We called it a denim jacket before. When I saw it being marketed as a trucker it felt cringy and very hipster. I just imagined some Allston douche with a big beard, mesh PBR baseball cap, skinny jeans and a bunch of meaningless tattoos who goes to indie folk basement shows.
Same as people referring to a biker jacket as a ‘double rider’ - when did this **** start?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads