• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't on about saville but meeting Scargill haha, Saville always gave me weird vibes not because he was an eccentric but he just seemed off. There has been alot of eccentrics who are decent people and some who were ''normal'' who turned out to be monsters.

Funny how back then there was a fear / revulsion of gays but people like Savile were just written off as weird / eccentric.

Now quite rightly there’s a lot more acceptance of gays and all-too-late outing of disgusting monsters like Savile and Cyril Smith who were given a free hand and blind eyes to perpetrate their filth and ruin countless lives.

Anyway what about those new monkey boots eh?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't on about saville but meeting Scargill haha, Saville always gave me weird vibes not because he was an eccentric but he just seemed off. There has been alot of eccentrics who are decent people and some who were ''normal'' who turned out to be monsters.
I met Scargill when I worked for the National Coal Board, it was at a debate that I attended at Wakefield theatre, in about 1987, not long after the miners strike. The debate was about Coal V Nuclear, and I went with a load of my college mates, the panel was Scargill and a bloke from the Coal Board arguing the case for Coal and two blokes from the Nuclear industry, one of which was a professor.
Scargill was very eloquent throughout the debate and obviously was very passionate about the subject, it seemed to be at a bit of a stalemate when Scargill reached into his pocket and brought out a piece of coal, and said to the Nuclear guys, I can put this in my mouth, can you do the same with depleted Uranium, and proceeded to do so. He got the loudest applauds of the day.
There was a queue of people afterwards wanting to talk to Scargill, but I got the chance to shake his hand and congratulate him on his talk. The one thing that sticks in my mind from that day was one of my college mates snoring loudly and someone being asked to wake him up.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saville used to open a garden fete for the little sisters of the poor in newton heath every summer ,in those days everyone thought he was weird but great , it just shows ,
Never liked the guy , l recall watching Top of the Pops in the 6ts and mother saying when Sav*lle came on "he's disgusting ". She used to ask me to switch him off . The shocking thing was , loads of other celebs knew about him and kept schtum. .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how back then there was a fear / revulsion of gays but people like Savile were just written off as weird / eccentric.

Now quite rightly there’s a lot more acceptance of gays and all-too-late outing of disgusting monsters like Savile and Cyril Smith who were given a free hand and blind eyes to perpetrate their filth and ruin countless lives.

Anyway what about those new monkey boots eh?
Aye exactly , which ones Rod?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aye exactly , which ones Rod?
I think (hope) that good time Rod was a king muff chaser but hopefully nothing too out of bounds.
I do feel bad for him like, due to a series of ill-advised Eklund-inspired spandex ‘n cheetah skin outfits in the seventies he seems unable to shake off that dodgy image despite a series of enviable looking suits in the forty-odd years since ‘‘Blondes Have More Fun’ and ‘Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?’ And as a result is destined to never appear on any ‘Best Dressed’ lists.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think (hope) that good time Rod was a king muff chaser but hopefully nothing too out of bounds.
I do feel bad for him like, due to a series of ill-advised Eklund-inspired spandex ‘n cheetah skin outfits in the seventies he seems unable to shake off that dodgy image despite a series of enviable looking suits in the forty-odd years since ‘‘Blondes Have More Fun’ and ‘Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?’ And as a result is destined to never appear on any ‘Best Dressed’ lists.

Think he was asking about the monkey boots?

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Yeah, tell us which pair of Monkey Boots you're now secretly coveting TWD, you're fooling no one on here!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tell us which pair of Monkey Boots you're now secretly coveting TWD, you're fooling no one on here!

Haha I fuckin hate monkey boots!
I’m baffled by their popularity.
Worn by girls and kids whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t buy them Doc Martens round ours when I was a bairn.
Never see a grown man wearing them in the flesh!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my Monkey boots and I have been wearing them on and off for at least nearly 40 years. They were also very popular with mods as well as skins, a better alternative to trainers if you ask me. Think I've got a photo of me somewhere wearing a pair in the mid 80s, I will dig it out and post it.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn by girls and kids whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t buy them Doc Martens round ours when I was a bairn.
How do you know that if you were so young you must have only been at the most 6 or 7 in 71?

andyf

Reaction score
....aaaaand again I have to say that certainly in SE London they were popular as a lightweight boot, and no bloke ever got stick for wearing them.
Yep and around my way. In fact my mate in the profile pic is sporting a pair. That was in 1982. And I wear mine for work. Very comfy particularly as I’m on my feet all day.

andyf

Reaction score
I never got the hate for them either. In fact as you can see in my profile pic from 82. My mate is sporting a pair.
I wear mine for work now. Very practical and comfy particularly as I’m on my feet all day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics