• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas for a good reasonably priced winter overcoat ?

Crombie were doing sales on their overcoats for a while bit but I think it’s over now.

Try grailed.com, etsy.com, eBay.

^^^ for instance ^^^. A lot of deals to be had.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t really know. But as I say I’ve seen a few on rally photos recently. It’s not a paint job I consider either.
Yeah l think the 300cc sounds impressive but l have always felt that an automatic transmission takes the fun out of driving.
It would be nice to have one to get around in and a nice Lambretta SX200 to pose around in . .?
These Vespa GTS are great. Been around around a decade now. I’ve had 2. And they look fairly retro too. View attachment 1244969
Is that the 300cc Andy?

Inkss

Reaction score
Some Royal Alloy specials by Carnaby Scooters :
ra2.jpg

ra.jpg

ea3.jpg

And the bog standard version which is pretty handsome, and all metal :
20181016_100708.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cutting down a scooter like that never looks good to me. One of the best examples I saw was a GP which had a window in the panel so you could see the chrome work on the engine inside.

That red Royal Alloy looks fine to me but they only do 150s in America and I want a 200. I found a RA distributor not too far from me so I’ll have a butchers one of these days. RA are distributed by Genuine Scooters which makes sense as it’s also the network that distributes Star / Stella Vespa PX clones. I dunno how come Scomadi is taking so long to develop network distribution here and no they have been beaten to the punch by the younger company.

andyf

Reaction score
Yeah l think the 300cc sounds impressive but l have always felt that an automatic transmission takes the fun out of driving.
It would be nice to have one to get around in and a nice Lambretta SX200 to pose around in . .?

Is that the 300cc Andy?
No both 125s. Never passed test. I traded the white one in for an MP3 three wheeler 300 ( no test needed cos of wheel spacing at front)
Alas I kind of missed Vespa so I part exchanged for the burgundy one.
I’ve neither now unfortunately. I just couldn’t get enough use out of it. This all happened within last year would you believe.
I did have a Pxe and a T5 back in the 80s and early 90s.
I have read the new HPE engine in the GTS 300 is even better it’s earlier renditions.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No both 125s. Never past test. I traded the white one in for an MP3 three wheeler 300 ( no test needed cos of wheel spacing at front)
Alas I kind of missed Vespa so I part exchanged for the burgundy one.
I’ve neither now unfortunately. I just couldn’t get enough use out of it. This all happened within last would you believe.
I did have a Pxe and a T5 back in the 80s and early 90s
I have read the new 300 HPE engine is even better.
Yeah , I was thinking the 300cc must be pretty powerful , a pal of mine down in West Sussex told me that a mate of his came across from ltaly on one in a day !
I knew a guy many years ago who had a tuned up Vespa 225 , the hardest thing was keeping the front wheel on the ground whilst accelerating but an interesting scooter nevertheless

ETA ; I imagine the 125cccould still do about 70mph?

andyf

Reaction score
Yeah , I was thinking the 300cc must be pretty powerful , a pal of mine down in West Sussex told me that a mate of his came across from ltaly on one in a day !
I knew a guy many years ago who had a tuned up Vespa 225 , the hardest thing was keeping the front wheel on the ground whilst accelerating but an interesting scooter nevertheless

ETA ; I imagine the 125cccould still do about 70mph?
Downhill maybe. Mine used to top out around 65-67. And then again I bet it’s a bit less with a gps on to give you a true reading.
I’ve still several mates who still tune up, race or tour Europe and beyond on scooters. Most have a GTS or two. And a few have two strokes as well.

Newton heath

Reaction score
When our lads had scooters we always had lamies ,to us Vespas looked uncool a hairdryer on wheels , but ironically they were far more reliable than a lambretta.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When our lads had scooters we always had lamies ,to us Vespas looked uncool a hairdryer on wheels , but ironically they were far more reliable than a lambretta.
Yeah , despite never owning a Lambretta l would agree 100% that they look more cool ( l was always a bit unsure driving them) than a Vespa. Also agree on the reliability point too , waited plenty of times at the side of the road whilst buddies fixed their Lambos. However , most Mods never maintained their scooters properly , too busy polishing the chrome work ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads