• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
If you throw on a crombie and black sta-prest, you can probably pull at a goth night. I remember when I was a teenager I had on this outfit and someone mistook me for goth.

I got mistaken for a teddy boy when i was a suedehead, i nearly pulled a goth bird once when i was a skin but i was too pissed at the time.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I got mistaken for a teddy boy when i was a suedehead, i nearly pulled a goth bird once when i was a skin but i was too pissed at the time.
I was at an adicts concert a few years ago standing outside the club. Loads of people out there all skins, punks, and rockers. These college kids walked by and said something like, "what are all these hippies doing out here?"
Just goes to show that to normies it's hard to differentiate between the styles. Ironically they all look the same IMO?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grown-out crop. Oh, I wish, I wish! I have had to embrace the cueball!

Today I went to pick up my ID card for the Uni of St Andrews. I wore my G9. I don't think I'll do that again - not in that town - it feels a bit too 'golf' for that context.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grown-out crop. Oh, I wish, I wish! I have had to embrace the cueball!

Today I went to pick up my ID card for the Uni of St Andrews. I wore my G9. I don't think I'll do that again - not in that town - it feels a bit too 'golf' for that context.
Yeah but by all evidence it seems that you used to be a ginge so becoming a baldie is just nature rebalancing itself!

When we were home in 2010 we visited my brother in Airdrie. We watched the last day of the open and the next day had a drive to St Andrews. The course was opening up to the public again and we walked right by the 18th fairway. There were loads of these daft Japanese tourists posing for pictures on the little footbridge while balls were blasting past their heads at lethal speed!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hair was brown-ish, my beard was a touch ginge.

It's only in St Andrews (or Gleneagles, for that matter) where I won't wear my G9. Anywhere else, I would. Silly, but it's just a feeling. In St A the Town/Gown/Golf trichotomy is very marked. Actually Town/Gown/Golf/Japanese-tourist split, really.

On Wednesday I'm away over to Stirling to meet an academic acquaintance from America. She's over here for the Solheim Cup, so I'm not wearing anything remotely golf then either!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe in Boston...
I turned up at work a few years ago , for meeting , l was told l could wear what l want. This was when l was working for a well known UK brand .I walked in wearing stone staprest, dark polo shirt and loafers. The first guy l bumped into said 'very smart' the next guy I met said ' you look like you are heading to the golf course' .?
I have never played a game in my life?

Last edited:

andyf

Reaction score
I used to go to an eclectic nightclub in the mid eighties that was also frequented by a lot of goths. Decent music like Banshees, Cure, Bauhaus, Death Cult, etc. Some of the girls looked great and patterned themselves after Siouxsie, Patricia Morrison (Gun Club / Sister’s of Mercy) Cleo from the March Violets, Joan Jett etc.
Now when I see goth girls they look like obese social misfits with acne and facial piercings zonked out on anti anxiety pills and wearing those hideous black bell bottom jeans with a load of crap hanging off them. What happened?
I still have some mates that don mohicans etc in there 50s. Ones who can’t stick up bits of hair on the sides of their head because it’s fallen out elsewhere. I just look at them now and think ffs grow up. It didn’t look good at the time. And it’s certainly a damn site worse at there age.
Incidentally I was looking up “mod sites” for music reviews earlier. And I saw yourself in a very smart suit. Mod generation.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have some mates that don mohicans etc in there 50s. Ones who can’t stick up bits of hair on the sides of their head because it’s fallen out elsewhere. I just look at them now and think ffs grow up. It didn’t look good at the time. And it’s certainly a damn site worse at there age.
Incidentally I was looking up “mod sites” for music reviews earlier. And I saw yourself in a very smart suit. Mod generation.

Yeah the great thing about the Mod/skin/suede/Ivy look is that not only is it versatile across a multitude of scenarios but also across age groups (with a bit of cautious editing - no Jam shoes for those of us of a certain vintage!). The goth look? Not so much!
And thanks - if that was the pic in the tobacco linen suit I posted it here as well on the ‘Look Goes On’ thread. Plenty more at rodsmodblog.wordpress.com.

andyf

Reaction score
Yeah the great thing about the Mod/skin/suede/Ivy look is that not only is it versatile across a multitude of scenarios but also across age groups (with a bit of cautious editing - no Jam shoes for those of us of a certain vintage!). The goth look? Not so much!
And thanks - if that was the pic in the tobacco linen suit I posted it here as well on the ‘Look Goes On’ thread. Plenty more at rodsmodblog.wordpress.com.
Yes I believe it was. And agreed the mod look, jam shoes aside ( I had blue with a white stripe!) or those other jam shoes pointy black with a white apron oh dear!.
Is pretty timeless a nd still looks great today.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Alright, it seems that my memory was playing tricks on me. The Japanese television personality I mentioned is definitely not in his forties yet. He could probably use a smaller size Baracuta too.

japanese presenter.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads