• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All forms of style seems to have disappeared in the 90s and never come back

Yeah, but newer, more bizarre forms replaced them. Or should I say, "fashion" completely took over for "style". Every "season" something new and "indispensable" comes out that everyone HAS to have... then throw it out, wash, rinse, repeat...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but newer, more bizarre forms replaced them. Or should I say, "fashion" completely took over for "style". Every "season" something new and "indispensable" comes out that everyone HAS to have... then throw it out, wash, rinse, repeat...

And that is the other change from back in the day - everyone has to have it. There is no longer any sense of one upmanship as far as I can see. The old tribal attitude disappeared sometime towards the end of the last century along with 'style'...it is all inclusive now.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score

The amount of clothing which will be thrown away is shocking, bad for environment and bad for the working conditions of the people who have to produce them. You can get a wardrobe of decent clothes for very little money if you look in the right places, i rarely have cash but my clothes are still better quality then most in my family and friends who are better off because they buy fast fashion.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of clothing which will be thrown away is shocking, bad for environment and bad for the working conditions of the people who have to produce them. You can get a wardrobe of decent clothes for very little money if you look in the right places, i rarely have cash but my clothes are still better quality then most in my family and friends who are better off because they buy fast fashion.
Yeah I mentioned yesterday on the LGO thread that part of the reason why I rededicated myself to the Mod look about ten years ago when I started a white collar job, was that I wanted to get gear that would have longevity - both in quality and style - so I wouldn’t be sinking a load of dough into clothes that I’d be throwing away in six months or a year. I’ve never understood the bandwagon jumpers who are content to do this.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I think because most people give in to the societal pressure to fit in and be like everyone else, the high street stores provide a cheaper way to do this.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7684.JPG
IMG_7685.JPG
IMG_7687.JPG
IMG_7688.JPG
IMG_7689.JPG

Never owned a pair of Doc Martens or Solovair before, but couldn't resist these when I saw them.
I bought them in Jigsaw at Cheshire Oaks outlet, on my way home from North Wales, reduced from £249 to £45.
As you can see they are a collaboration with Solovair, does anyone know which model they are? I will wear them as an alternative to my brown Grafters which are now 7 years old and still going strong.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Posting lots of sta-prest on my eBay store. A few pairs up right now, posting more in the next couple days

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Posting lots of sta-prest on my eBay store. A few pairs up right now, posting more in the next couple days

Interesting, but more details and pics would be nice. Take the Farah ones for example: I can't even tell from the pics what pockets they have. What are the flat measurements (rise, thigh, actual waist, etc)? I know it's a pain esp when you're selling loads, but would seriously help.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
View attachment 1227187 View attachment 1227188 View attachment 1227189 View attachment 1227190 View attachment 1227191

Never owned a pair of Doc Martens or Solovair before, but couldn't resist these when I saw them.
I bought them in Jigsaw at Cheshire Oaks outlet, on my way home from North Wales, reduced from £249 to £45.
As you can see they are a collaboration with Solovair, does anyone know which model they are? I will wear them as an alternative to my brown Grafters which are now 7 years old and still going strong.

Look like you got a bargain there yorky, nice buy.

Agreed with having detailed measurements on listing, its one of the first things i look for and i always put them on myself when i have sold trousers and shirts in the past

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look like you got a bargain there yorky, nice buy.

Agreed with having detailed measurements on listing, its one of the first things i look for and i always put them on myself when i have sold trousers and shirts in the past
Yeah it does look like the Yorkster got a bargain , a bargain indeed. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads