• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Another suit for my birthday, a vintage brown hector powe. Paid 40 for this one, real nice quality.
20190723_173021.jpg
20190723_172956.jpg
20190723_173508.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score
That's a lovely whistle DJ !

I picked up this black cotton jacket from Slovakia for £27/$33.
3butt.jpg

It's a bit faded, so my seamster is going to dye it back to jet black after he's done with the alterations.

Also picked up this Gant Yale Co-op madras shirt from Ukraine for £15/$19
madras.jpg

yale.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score
Maybe. There's a lot of Gant, Brooks Brothers and J Press stuff for sale over there, as well as quite a few Ivy-ish sport coats. Definitely more on the American side of things.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another suit for my birthday, a vintage brown hector powe. Paid 40 for this one, real nice quality. View attachment 1211160 View attachment 1211161 View attachment 1211163
Looks great @DonkeyJacket1 Fits very well. Where did you find it?

When I first left school and before embarking on a career of 'public mischief', I worked in an old-fashioned Department Store called J. G. Bond in Chelmsford in 1969. I spent most of my time there in menswear.

Just upstairs from where I was based was a Hector Powe franchise (I have been corresponding with the new company about it on IG). It was run by a real playboy who often wore a white suit cut very much like yours. It was considered a great treat to stand in for him when he was on holiday / off sick or just late in on a Monday, which was most weeks! I was too junior to be selected for this prestigious work regrettably.

Brings back fond memories of a great time ...

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Looks great @DonkeyJacket1 Fits very well. Where did you find it?

When I first left school and before embarking on a career of 'public mischief', I worked in an old-fashioned Department Store called J. G. Bond in Chelmsford in 1969. I spent most of my time there in menswear.

Just upstairs from where I was based was a Hector Powe franchise (I have been corresponding with the new company about it on IG). It was run by a real playboy who often wore a white suit cut very much like yours. It was considered a great treat to stand in for him when he was on holiday / off sick or just late in on a Monday, which was most weeks! I was too junior to be selected for this prestigious work regrettably.

Brings back fond memories of a great time ...

Cheers mate, got it from an ebay shop called pre-worn, think they have some other vintage suits too. Liked that story you had.

I will indeed enjoy it as much as T Gage esq, shame i just can't wear it in the current heatwave, also has the numbers 9371 on the inner pocket patch which im guessing is the date it was made

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers mate, got it from an ebay shop called pre-worn, think they have some other vintage suits too. Liked that story you had.

I will indeed enjoy it as much as T Gage esq, shame i just can't wear it in the current heatwave, also has the numbers 9371 on the inner pocket patch which im guessing is the date it was made
I think you would be right about the date. 1971 was the year when most tailors were in a transition from the 60's style suit with narrow lapels and less 'shape' than was to come. I recall ordering a MTM suit in dark green mohair from Hepworths who were then collaborating with Hardy Amies and the style was very similar to that Hector Powe. By 1972 three buttons were giving way to two, and the waist was becoming more pronounced - and my new suit already started to feel dated!

Inkss

Reaction score
I've got a few items from Pre Worn. The measurements in the item descriptions are always comprehensive and accurate.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I think you would be right about the date. 1971 was the year when most tailors were in a transition from the 60's style suit with narrow lapels and less 'shape' than was to come. I recall ordering a MTM suit in dark green mohair from Hepworths who were then collaborating with Hardy Amies and the style was very similar to that Hector Powe. By 1972 three buttons were giving way to two, and the waist was becoming more pronounced - and my new suit already started to feel dated!

I do quite like the wider lapels, the jacket is quite waisted with double vents. Like the width of the trousers too, 8.5 inch which is just right to me, not too slim but not too wide, the colour of it is also darker than on the pictures, almost a chocolate brown.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Cheers mate, can find good stuff to be honest if you look in the less obvious places, dunno how much it would of cost originally but i'm guessing quite a bit!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads