• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
I think it's from the 'Beach Bastard' collection, by Bill Blass
Well, wasn't too far off.
blasto.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme just take off my specs so I can take you seriously... don’t mind my eye-bleeding, “tasteful”, Dacron polyester suit beast...

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that, but I'm not sure if the finished look would be any good. I will probably stick with the tucked in look.

I considered that, but I'm not sure if I'd be happy with the finished look. I think i'll stick to tucking them in.

How do others wear theirs?
Tucked in when required and untucked, when not. I'm a big punter for those BB Polo Shirts. The best I've come across though is Woolrich. They do one sans logo and it's pretty much a short-sleeved Smedly. Not cheap mind.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they dressed him in a button-down shirt because those collars were seen as out of date in 1975?

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I am under the impression that button down collars/oxfords have always been readily available in the U.S. and have been consistently worn by men who no longer, or perhaps never, considered themselves "up to date", but an almost unconsidered classic. American males seem to be less fashion conscious than Europeans and often favour styles that appear "to them" inoffensive. That is not to say that they haven't always had a stylish contingent, but I think the whole American Male "macho" frontier/pioneer personae, has at times cast an interest in clothes as somewhat effeminate.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might have had their boots confiscated at the station (looks like a seaside pic) and had to buy some cheap footwear at short notice in the town.
Thinking about that practice now (the removal of boots) , it sounds like a breach of human rights . What authority did the police have to do that. .

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about that practice now (the removal of boots) , it sounds like a breach of human rights . What authority did the police have to do that. .

I think that, when they could be bothered, the usual excuse was that they were 'offensive weapons'

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might have had their boots confiscated at the station (looks like a seaside pic) and had to buy some cheap footwear at short notice in the town.

1] I was refused entry to Dreamland in Margate because I had boots on. I went to a local beach shop and bought a pair of flip-flops, and carried my boots in a poly bag. It didn't worry me one bit, and it didn't worry my girlfriend.

2] It occurs to me that a couple of years previously, in Blackpool, some lads occasionally wore Scholls. But it wasn't a major thing by any means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads