• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for Mick Avory, nor Charlie Watts?

Both great in their own rights. Charlie Watts is a hell of a jazz drummer, but he is a bit understated and reserved and frankly does not hold a candle to Bonzo. He has the feel in the rhythm which are important but Bonzo and the other motherf#*kers discussed just have that extra something.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7333.JPG

Not forgetting Animal from The Muppets, another great band!!!!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
That could easily have been me in Hull 1975, i even looked similar. A fitter I was apprenticed to, once said "if your dad had pushed harder, you'd have been a girl"
Skinners yes, monkey boots no though. Mentioned on here before, monkey boots for girls. Cant recall the name of the jacket, but at the same time we wore patchwork jumpers and star jumpers.
In Manchester the jumpers wren made by the South Sea Bubble Company - long gone, now.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both great in their own rights. Charlie Watts is a hell of a jazz drummer, but he is a bit understated and reserved and frankly does not hold a candle to Bonzo. He has the feel in the rhythm which are important but Bonzo and the other motherf#*kers discussed just have that extra something.
I might have mentioned this before but a good friend of mine played drums for a band in the 6ts and got to support some up and coming names like the Kinks, the Troggs, Spencer Davis Group and even the Rolling Stones whom they shared a dressing room with . Charlie Watts asked who the drummer was and had a conversation with my mate who would have been about 17 at the time . He showed my mate a couple of sticks he had been asked to try . To this day my mate is still embarrassed that he kept calling Charlie 'Mr Watts' . .

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might have mentioned this before but a good friend of mine played drums for a band in the 6ts and got to support some up and coming names like the Kinks, the Troggs, Spencer Davis Group and even the Rolling Stones whom they shared a dressing room with . Charlie Watts asked who the drummer was and had a conversation with my mate who would have been about 17 at the time . He showed my mate a couple of sticks he had been asked to try . To this day my mate is still embarrassed that he kept calling Charlie 'Mr Watts' . .

That's really, really cool. I love hearing little anecdotes like that. "Mr. Watts", haha.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, he has his hands in his pockets which pulls his trouser legs up.
Agree on the fact that it’s a terrible look, though. Maybe if he were a 17-year-old kid. On him at his age, he looks like some kind of clown. Sad.
It is sad.
Leaving aside any admiration for his musical journey which dives deep into subjectivity, that outfit is just objectively bad and makes all that ‘Modfather’ bollocks all the more cringeworthy. I’m sure we’ve all made a few ... ‘questionable’ choices down the years but this is a bloke who has allegedly studied and been immersed in the look since boyhood and has more or less unlimited access and funding to acquire the most desirable and exclusive items, yet he’s continually turned out in gruesome kit like this, and we haven’t even got to his Barnet yet!
Sad!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mind the Barnet.

Newton heath

Reaction score
The hair is the most reasonable bit, its the ultra slim trousers i don't like.
How weller hasn’t gone bald is a mystery ,he didn’t have the thickest of hair in the seventies . But if he hasn’t had something “ done “ with his hair he needs a far better cut than that .

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would argue that Watts’ style fits perfectly in one of the greatest rock & roll bands ever... as does Bonzo’s (though I’m not as fond of Zep as Stones by far). Of course, if you just lined up all these drummers solo, I’d agree some would stand out above others most likely. Ginger Baker, Bozo and coupla’ jazz drummers come to mind at first glance.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weller is such a controversial topic. Love him, or hate him, there have certainly been times when he really nailed his looks. I reckon if you’re pushing the envelope there will be plenty of missteps in hair and kit alike.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Weller is such a controversial topic. Love him, or hate him, there have certainly been times when he really nailed his looks. I reckon if you’re pushing the envelope there will be plenty of missteps in hair and kit alike.

Weller on the sleeve of 'All Mod Cons' is perfect. Compare and contrast with now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads