• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not forgetting Bernard "pretty boy" Purdey, soul and funk drummer, famous for his Purdey shuffle trademark style of drumming. Primarily a session drummer for artists like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and allegedly over dubbed Ringo Starr on Beatles tracks. His style was also copied by Led Zep amongst others.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could easily have been me in Hull 1975, i even looked similar. A fitter I was apprenticed to, once said "if your dad had pushed harder, you'd have been a girl"
Skinners yes, monkey boots no though. Mentioned on here before, monkey boots for girls. Cant recall the name of the jacket, but at the same time we wore patchwork jumpers and star jumpers.
Not forgetting Bernard "pretty boy" Purdey, soul and funk drummer, famous for his Purdey shuffle trademark style of drumming. Primarily a session drummer for artists like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and allegedly over dubbed Ringo Starr on Beatles tracks. His style was also copied by Led Zep amongst others.

Bernard Purdie was unreal— though his trademark half-time shuffle inspired Bonzo’s “Fool In the Rain” half-time shuffle. It was merely a template, not a copy. And yeah he, Max Roach, and Joe Morello were huge influences on Bonham.
Either way, I’m loving the digression here, though I’m sure there is a bit of (justifiable)eye-rolling going on.
Music is a reflection of (the)soul!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd try to start a conversation about where subcultures have a crossover in styles and musical tastes. My first wife when we started dating was heavily into the 1950's Rockabilly look and listened mainly to Doo person of Italian descent music. She was beautiful and really stood out, which was what attracted me to her, I used to attend Rockabilly nights with her and vice versa. What struck me was that some of the music that was played was also the kind of thing that I listened to e.g. Late fifties RandB. I expected to see a load of old Teds, but the blokes mainly wore what I would call the James Dean look Harringtons and levis, and the women a 40's/50's look. She eventually dropped the look and I suppose due to my influence became a mod.
I used to go to a mod night in Manchester which played a lot of RandB, and a lot of the 50's style went to it also, I think that they called themselves Hep Cats. It was always a good night out, although you always got the odd dick head, who wanted bother instead of just enjoying themselves.
The same thing used to happen on some mod rallies, where "Skins" would also attend, I used to go to a regular nite in Birmingham, and once had to endure a knob flicking tabs at me while I was dancing. The Birmingham mods were well tasty, and on that particular nite the knob was "spoken" to, as we were visiting guests from Yorkshire and looked after.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bernard Purdie was unreal— though his trademark half-time shuffle inspired Bonzo’s “Fool In the Rain” half-time shuffle. It was merely a template, not a copy. And yeah he, Max Roach, and Joe Morello were huge influences on Bonham.
Either way, I’m loving the digression here, though I’m sure there is a bit of (justifiable)eye-rolling going on.
Music is a reflection of (the)soul!
Aye , who started all this 'best drummer ' stuff anyway. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7331.jpg

Not quite sure what Weller has got going on here, I know that he has loved his monkey boots of late, but these are something different. His trousers are far too narrow and short, for whatever look he is going for here.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
View attachment 1176296

Not quite sure what Weller has got going on here, I know that he has loved his monkey boots of late, but these are something different. His trousers are far too narrow and short, for whatever look he is going for here.

When I saw the picture I hoped it wasn't you!

Terrible outfit - the mod equivalent of the yellow laces skinhead reunion look.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
They look like too slim relco/warrior jobbers to me, just prefer slimish and classic cut non irons to so called ''sta prest'' today

Prefer more earthy/natural colours on check shirts too.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw the picture I hoped it wasn't you!

Terrible outfit - the mod equivalent of the yellow laces skinhead reunion look.

Nice to know that you care Bela! Maybe he's just been doing the gardening, and digging a few spuds up for tea, or what Southerners call dinner.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, he has his hands in his pockets which pulls his trouser legs up.
Agree on the fact that it’s a terrible look, though. Maybe if he were a 17-year-old kid. On him at his age, he looks like some kind of clown. Sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics