• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Pardon me if this question has been posted before but does anyone know why Levi's don't make sta prest anymore?

Maybe because the Poly-Cotton mix was out of favor at one point ?
Interesting discussion about sta-prest pages 852 to 854...

Last edited:

skinny legs

Reaction score

Southend, Whitsun 1970
In the top picture, where they seem marginally older than the other lot, there's more shoes than boots worn- whilst in the bottom snap where they're creating outside the tobacconists DMs prevail. Ps Hope for their sakes they didn't nick the advertised Capstan and Senior Service ****- theyd be coughing all the way back to Fenchurch St. By the way, talking of Blackpool, is it true that all the flash London skins used to go up there and deliberately pay over the odds for donkey rides at Bank Holidays, just to make the local skins look like paupers?

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the top picture, where they seem marginally older than the other lot, there's more shoes than boots worn- whilst in the bottom snap where they're creating outside the tobacconists DMs prevail.

And in the top photo, three girls in trousers and one in a skirt - two looking very boyish. A big deal back then I'm sure.

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Quote:
My mob was part of the 1000's that turned out that day in 1970. We met at Barking and Upminster and travelled down to Southend by train where the police met us on the station to take our boot laces, steel combs and braces. We went into the shops and stole balls of string to use as boot laces. I was wearing a green baracuta harrington from the Squire shop, a Ben Sherman from Mintz Romford Stone Levi Sta-prest from Aldgate and a pair of Martens from Brick Lane. Fighting occured in the Kursaal amusment park and along the front with the Dagenham Heathway mob in the forefront but nothing serious. We returned to Southend police station to collect our laces just for a laugh and I got a free steel comb and red braces out of a big box at the station. When we came out of police station the press were waiting with photographers to take photos. It made headline news in the Daily Sketch/Sun newspaper the next day and some of my mates got in the newspaper. I tried to dodge the press but there is a photo of me and my mates coming out of the police station shown on this site. There was a great atmosphere that day with many rivals from different gangs joining together chanting 'London United' and having a good time. For me it was the beginning of the end of my skinhead time and I was already growing my hair and thinking of moving in a new direction.

Last edited:

roytonboy

Reaction score
In the top picture, where they seem marginally older than the other lot, there's more shoes than boots worn- whilst in the bottom snap where they're creating outside the tobacconists DMs prevail.
Ps Hope for their sakes they didn't nick the advertised Capstan and Senior Service ****- theyd be coughing all the way back to Fenchurch St.
By the way, talking of Blackpool, is it true that all the flash London skins used to go up there and deliberately pay over the odds for donkey rides at Bank Holidays, just to make the local skins look like paupers?

Can't comment on the truth of this or otherwise. What I can say is that none of us would have been seen dead near a donkey ride - that would have been considered VERY uncool.......

EddyP

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in amidst the discussion - those pictures are incredible!

I've been looking into mod fashion, being from Brighton it's pretty culturally relevant.

As far as authenticity goes, what do you guys think about some of the shirts close to the top? http://www.atomretro.com/pretty_green - I'm afraid I don't know enough about Mod culture just yet to say for myself?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been looking into mod fashion, being from Brighton it's pretty culturally relevant.

As far as authenticity goes, what do you guys think about some of the shirts close to the top? http://www.atomretro.com/pretty_green - I'm afraid I don't know enough about Mod culture just yet to say for myself?

No worries, EddyP, you're welcome to leap in.

Those shirts are very much 'peacock' Mod, which is not necessarily what we're concentrating on here, but the whole peacock thing was going on during the same era, and was a development of a look - a different fork in the road if you like - that influenced ours.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paisley shirts were a huge part of the mod revival look here in Southern California from 79-81.

Newton heath

Reaction score
In a way that photo reminds me of the one on the skinhead moonstomp Lp, I did hear years ago the the five lads on the cover of said album were from Blackpool have any of you good folk on here got any info on those lads?

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, post 12768 onwards. The enigma continues...

Remarkably, this thread seems to have no exhibits of proper skinhead Levi Sta Prest trousers so, for the record, this is the closest it gets to early 80s Sta Prest as I remember it

http://m.ebay.fr/itm/201574253890?_mwBanner=1

$_3.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

They are surprisingly plain trousers, which is perhaps the whole point - could also be why it seemed so difficult for me to recall their details.

Seem to remember them having a silky sort of feeling but with a certain rigidity in their structure.

I need an LVC reissue!

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score

As far as authenticity goes, what do you guys think about some of the shirts close to the top? http://www.atomretro.com/pretty_green - I'm afraid I don't know enough about Mod culture just yet to say for myself?
Young Blood.I always liked these shirts.Early 80's L.A. very Big as previously stated.Post a pic if you get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads