• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score

Church Street, Marylebone, around 1970
In the mid-60's I had a West Ham t-shirt (also kids size) just like that Arsenal one. Sky Blue shirt Claret printing, my Dad bought it for me from Bobby Moore's Sports Shop on Green Street (now a used appliance shop) opposite The Boleyn Ground.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Did any of you read 'Lemon socks' by Trevor Coote ? It's a pulp novel à la Richard Allen, but it seems well documented. The author (a Londoner born in 1952) is quite 'in the know' about the skinhead- suedehead years... I managed to read a part of the book online (between Amazon and Google books) and i'm hesitating about buying it. I would be curious to know what you think of it (if somebody here red it). It's the story (in 1971) of a London skinhead turned suedehead, seeing his (skinhead) world falling apart, with a good dose of sex and violence - of course.

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
In the mid-60's I had a West Ham t-shirt (also kids size) just like that Arsenal one. Sky Blue shirt Claret printing, my Dad bought it for me from Bobby Moore's Sports Shop on Green Street (now a used appliance shop) opposite The Boleyn Ground.
I remember the shop. A bloke who worked for me in the late 80s claimed his dad took over the shop. Not sure if he kept it as a sports shop or changed it to a cafe.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Transcribing update: I have now got into the 800s.
Well hurry up, I'm going into hospital next week for a new hip and I'll need something to read, ya bugger!!! :happy:

Found this French site that is a good read - IMHO. :satisfied:

http://www.skinheadorigines.com/#!polo-chemise/c1e5c

Covers a wide timeline - in pics and articles - and whoever has put it together has definitely spent a fair old time on it.

If it's not for you - fine. No need for a mega-rant or wasted key-strokes. :D

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this French site that is a good read - IMHO. :satisfied:

http://www.skinheadorigines.com/#!polo-chemise/c1e5c

Covers a wide timeline - in pics and articles - and whoever has put it together has definitely spent a fair old time on it.

If it's not for you - fine. No need for a mega-rant or wasted key-strokes. :D

I'll say this - they obviously took a lot of time and trouble over constructing the site.

Photos - usual suspects! :D

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I'll say this - they obviously took a lot of time and trouble over constructing the site.

Photos - usual suspects! :D
Aye, some - one in particular - ugly mugshots on there. :slayer:

You must have got around a bit. (Meeja hoor!!!) :satisfied:

Newton heath

Reaction score
As my memory is going quicker than my hair did can any of the good folk on here of a certain age inform me of what a pair of Levi/wrangler jeans /jackets, Levi sta press,Ben Sherman/jaytex shirts would have cost in around 1969/72. Just as a matter of interest ,thanks in advance

roytonboy

Reaction score
As my memory is going quicker than my hair did can any of the good folk on here of a certain age inform me of what a pair of Levi/wrangler jeans /jackets, Levi sta press,Ben Sherman/jaytex shirts would have cost in around 1969/72. Just as a matter of interest ,thanks in advance

Levis were £3 7s 6d. Levi Denim Jackets £4 7s 6d in 1969 If I recall correctly. Wranglers were slightly cheaper.

My first wage packet in the summer of 1971 was £10, minus National Insurance, so the Levis were quite expensive. LPs were £2.25 in 1971. Funny how the value of things has changed. Good quality jeans can still cost dozens of pounds but CDs (albums!) can be picked up very cheaply - in 45 years they only gone up 4 or 5 fold in price. Compare that with the price of watching top level football - it has gone up a hundred fold in the same period!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Aye, remember them well... Levi's were 53/- or £2-13s or even just £2-65p in today's new world. :) from Jeffery Cohen's gaff on New Brown Street.(JC later did all the 'Stolen from Ivor' cheapos etc.)

Wranglers were a couple of bob cheaper and I have no idea about Lee Riders.:nodding:

BS also around the price of Levi's while Jaytex, like Wranglers, were a few shillings cheaper.

Brutus were not on my want list in '69.

A Levi denim jacket was just shy of a £fiver at £4-19-6d.

Thanks for making an old man feel even older, BTW! :satisfied:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads