• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
I loved them at the time.They were fresh and very different,particularly in the (Tan/Blue/Cherry?) colour combo.However no shoes have ever given me as much excitement upon obtaining them than my first Boxtops.Making the trip from the Midlands to Chapel St Market in Islington is remembered as it was yesterday.Black Boxtops,black socks,petrol blue cords,floral print s/s jersey knit penny collar shirt.The next big purchase item would be a Budgie Jacket.I wanted a 3/4 length leather one with the multi colour panels and scallop edge bottom,but had to settle for a waist length canvas.
Ahhh the memories !

Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymore

Reaction score
Sorry. that was in reply to the chaps discussing the Baracuta harrington in that lovely olive green colour.

McDermott

Reaction score
A bit late for you now, but you can pick up these harringtons for £40. The best bit is that they are a quality item STILL made here in the UK to the same pattern since the Sixties.

http://scootssuitsandboots.com/mod-...jackets/harrington-jacket-by-combat-olive.php

buy direct : http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epa...ubProducts/"Harrington Jacket Khaki Green XL"

Re : solatios shoes not a bad shoe at all when worn with the right gear, also like norweigans or 'box top' as you mentioned, and the diamond style/ crossovers later worn...wearing a pair the other week..

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymore
Funnily enough we also called them Blockbusters.i picked up both terms from London lads at the time.I was the first person I knew of who wore them in my area and they gradually filtered in,so no local retailers had them.The same happened with Toppers later on.i wore them at fist with a suit with quite parrallel strides.they looked better with French flares,but they hadn't arrived yet.

ek77

Reaction score

That is Danny Arkins. I met him at Stamford Bridge earlier this year. Alas i didnt have my phone with me to get a picture.

you should take it with you next time, otherwise some folks on here wont believe you.... ;):D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the Glasgow DM shop the other day, and I noticed that the company seems to be getting to grips (a bit) with its edgier street cred. There was a large b/w pic on the wall of a couple of skinhead revival girls leaning on a wall, and another of what appeared to be 1970s souly-tartan-bootboys dancing. I can't find either precise pic on the web, although there is a similar one of two girls.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clouseau.We have mentioned before on this forum that prices go up and quality goes down,Barracuta seems to be another brand living on its past reputation ( IMO ) we could make a long list of companies doing the same,make it in China etc,cheaper materials, increases profit.

Isn't that the same with most of the apparel you buy in the UK these days. I was i the UK in June looking around stores, wasn't impressed. Seemed to be charge highest prices possible, but make it all using cheap labour in third world countries, e.g. £100 for a polo shirt...but made in Bangladesh......OK....and same polo is £5 in Shenzhen.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeDt. Yes it is the same with MOST clothes and shoes IMO.In fact you have to be careful with Made in England marked items,Loake Royals seem to be put together in England out of parts made in India,some Loakes and other famous shoe makers have some ranges made in India etc,but they are still charging as if their product was made here.I dont want to be classed as a Loake basher (as i say other makers do the same),they do still make some shoes here and they are good value for money and good quality IMO.Lets face it Levis started going downhill from the mid 70s,Ben Sherman and Fred Perry are not what they were,just famous names /logos now ( all IMO ),better to buy in M and S better quality less than half the price ( still made in the far east ).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
About Loake, don't think this has been post before. No Royals in sight (we know why)...
But worth seeing.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
I think Levi's still offer good value for the price though same can't be said for a lot of former premium brands trying to charge first world labor prices for 3rd world work.

buttons

Reaction score

Some styles should stay in the past. They look like Ronald McDonald shoes!!:D

If ye want a pair of top skinhead shoes from 1969 - this isn't them.
If ye want a shoe for all occasions, this isn't them.
If ye want a pair of shoes for a 60 year old bloke who's 'dressing his age' to wear with his comfy slacks and M&S wooly-pully ... this isn't them.
Buy some decent brogues.

But there was a snap shot in time when these were super cool, long after basket top norwegians and before giant stack heeled spooners.
And if everyone has a brown pair, what better than a 3-tone brown pair?!

Timeless classic they ain't and if you're wearing these with a striped Benny, you need a stern talking to at best, but I wouldn't just bash them cos they'd raise an eyebrow down at Wetherspoons. With the right outfit - why not?

elwood

Reaction score

http://www.solatio.co.uk/ To think we replaced Smooths and Brogues with these monstrosities and there back ??
So that's what Solatios looked like. I think they're mentioned in Robert Elms' "The Way We Wore" and I came across references to them when looking up Royals on the internet some time ago. Quite a lot about them on a Liverpool-oriented forum that was linked on a post here a little while ago. When did they reappear with this new manufacturer? Interesting that someone seems to have identified possible demand from forums like this. They look vaguely familiar so perhaps I saw them back then but I don't remember them being in fashion round my way and wasn't familiar with the name until recent Internet searches mentioned above. The most desirable/fashionable shoes in my area from memory, and dates very rough 40 years on, were: 1970/71 Royals (longwing brogues): black or oxblood 1971/72 Loafers - well that's what they were known as, though they were more of a lace-up moccasin, black with a soft sole, mostly from Bata. Very commonly worn with Ruperts and patchwork jumpers. I never liked these shoes. 1972/73 stack soles/ heels 1973/74 Derber (?) with white crepe soles

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads