• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

jackyleec

Reaction score
Good story Lasttye.Good to put names to black and white film faces.Interesting mix flyfronted.A member of two underdog tribes.Holidays must have been fun.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just read it too and agree with D.S.I Buttons. It's funny, I cringe when I see 'modern' Weller-type Mods with that bloody barnet but at least they mean well. (But so did Hitler as Spike Milligan once said :D)

Just found this, an assortment of '67 Mod styles -

Mods outside the club Tiles. Bee Gees Live Performance,1967

Shows the total spread of 'mod' fashion at the time, from peanut to peacock.

corker23

Reaction score

Totally false statement.This is too small a forum for me to explain why your perception is flawed.The evolution of Pop music and underground music and who stole from whom is very complex.The truth is Classical music did everything first and all 20th century Pop music owes a debt to those composers(even jazz) Most folks think Rock and Roll is african american music but so much of R & R comes from British Isles Folk music(not to mention German Oom Pa music and French folk music as well) The examples of this truth are too numerous and technical to explain.Lets not forget the influence of Kraftwerk on early American Rap.TA

Think you missed my point: "continues to develop modernist new music," but your right that this is not the place for us to have a debate on the entire entomology of modern music. Just sayin. By the way i love Kraftwerk.

yankmod

Reaction score
Think you missed my point: "continues to develop modernist new music," but your right that this is not the place for us to have a debate on the entire entomology of modern music. Just sayin. By the way i love Kraftwerk.
There are all kinds of so called "Modern" music which has nothing to do with African American musics.There is no "NEW" music anyway.It's all been done.There are only individuals re-interpreting old music forms.Just ask Bartok.

Watermelon man

Reaction score
thanks - never looked in that arcade before . will check it out
The Adam 'Crombies' are well-cut and warm but like most imitations have a lining that rips easily and in particular tears around the inside breast pocket as there is no reinforcement there. They are the same as the JtG coats. I think Adam sells them in two lengths.

That said, I'm thinking of getting another Adam coat to wear when my real Crombie is likely to get beer spilt on it. I feel vulnerable when wearing a coat that now sells for in excess of £700 (not what I paid, of course).

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its the trendy thing to be "fitted". Its because the type of clothes that us lot are into, are "on trend", so the cut and fit is being designed for a "younger" market. Its all balls of course, and most people just go up a size.

God you know I think I'm going to have to take a medium in Fred Perry polos this summer...and that's not the "slim fit". Mind you they do shrink seriously though.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Pal of mine brought a pair of Monkey boots in Richmond yesterday .. always thought of them as rubbish / for kids who couldnt afford DM's . Whats the forums opinion?

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Pal of mine brought a pair of Monkey boots in Richmond yesterday .. always thought of them as rubbish / for kids who couldnt afford DM's . Whats the forums opinion?
Kids and birds... but anything 'retro' appears to be 'good' now.

That said, you pays your money... and nobody has voted me the god of taste.............................. yet. :satisfied:

McDermott

Reaction score
Ill stick my neck out and say i dont mind Monkey boots on a Bloke, although im aware they were mostly a Girl/kiddy boot.
I do think they have a more relaxed look about them then proper boots though, Ive been toying with the idea of getting a pair myself, oxblood with yellow laces...Just to wear with a FP and cords etc when lazy.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ill stick my neck out and say i dont mind Monkey boots on a Bloke, although im aware they were mostly a Girl/kiddy boot.
I do think they have a more relaxed look about them then proper boots though, Ive been toying with the idea of  getting a pair myself, oxblood with yellow laces...Just to wear with a FP and cords etc when lazy.

Monkey boots, black or brown, were being worn by blokes in S E London in 1968. I liked them, they were light on your feet. I never saw any girls wearing them, and they didn't have a rep as girls/kids boots round our way. [Yes, I know girls DID wear them, I just never SAW any girls wearing them.]

roytonboy

Reaction score
Monkey boots, black or brown, were being worn by blokes in S E London in 1968. I liked them, they were light on your feet. I never saw any girls wearing them, and they didn't have a rep as girls/kids boots round our way. [Yes, I know girls DID wear them, I just never SAW any girls wearing them.]

Monkey boots De riguer for skinhead girls up north 1969-1971.

Not worn much by lads in our area, if memory serves me right they were more popular with lads down south in skinhead times, I think they would look good on a smart young fella such as yourself McDermott.

Last edited:

Pequod

Reaction score
Shows the total spread of 'mod' fashion at the time, from peanut to peacock.

I know the development in these two distinct styles ("peanut to peacock") just by stories. (I was born in 1967 in South Germany, where I still live today). The picture really seems to confirm this separation of styles. In my opinion a significant picture. I can not remember a similar one.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have we not had this Conversation before?I wore Monkey Boots ,and so did others.It somehow got around the "No Boots" Rule.I still like the look of them.

Bloody good Photo Bunty.Must be one of the last times that both "Faces" of Mod were photographed together. After that, the irreparable "Split" happened.:)

harrysgame

Reaction score

Personally i like them. I find them really comfortable to wear and look fairly smart-ish. I rarely wear DMs these days as i can't be bothered to lace the bloody things. So monkey boots fit the bill for me, saying that i have been wearing them on and off since i was a child. Some people like to slate them, but i have worn them to daytime events before and no one has ever said anything to my face.

Each to their own i say.

My brothers say they used to wear them in the day casually as summer wear instead of normal boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads