• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I worked in an old fashioned Menswear section of a department store and got in very well with the little tailor in the back room! He would do anything for a pack of **** (well I kept to tailoring requests!!). He was great at invisible mending and obviously any re-tailoring work.

Jeans I did myself and in the style referred to by MoM above. I think Little Queenie calls it blind stitching.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can relate to all of this. I lived on the outskirts of London in Essex but all the above was true in my area too. I always thought the lack of personal transport was down to the complete obsession with dressing - no time for cars or other trappings.
Skinheads may have 'spread around the world' but I don't think they are skinheads as we knew them. Really another tag should be found for these hangers-on - they can do so much damage to the original 'cause'. I suppose I should add present company excepted!

You are right John, The Originals have fcuk all in common with the later 79/80 skinheads, But i do think we originals done a lot of damage from the start, the Violence,the Racism, Homophobia, I think the Punks in 79 looked at the original skinheads and said yep i.am gonna be like them, and because teenagers was more politicly aware 79/80 certain Punks with right wing thinking adopted the skinhead look and changed it into their Punk sort of Skinhead style ???

What i have seen on the present day scene Skinheads seem to try and dress like the original smart Skinheads , also you see plenty of Black Men & Woman , Some of the Black lads at doos try to dress like the old Rudies,:)

Its funny but back in the 60s you very rarely saw Black girls out, although i did go out with a lovely Black girl in 69.:)

Last edited:

Little Queenie

Reaction score

I worked in an old fashioned Menswear section of a department store and got in very well with the little tailor in the back room! He would do anything for a pack of **** (well I kept to tailoring requests!!). He was great at invisible mending and obviously any re-tailoring work.
Jeans I did myself and in the style referred to by MoM above. I think Little Queenie calls it blind stitching.

A blind hem, dear.

bunty

Reaction score

Non-skinhead related post, but might interest some:
US black kids in their take of the ivy casual kit:

Scroll down on the site where the link directs to find more pictures from these kids.
http://www.theweejun.com/index.php/highwater-501s-derby-of-san-francisco-black-ivy-in-dc/

Great find mate.

Roy, now that you mentioned the scooters, how prevalent were they? I know you just mentioned that you and your friends didn't have much interest, but how about other gangs/locations?

Scooters here, Just outside North London. The red bus routes terminated here and to go 'out' any further you had to get a 'green line' (less frequent). I've been told that scooters later on were functional, with none of the customising of the early 60s. Mick had a tatty old Li that he was really embarrassed about (used to leave it round his mate's house- not because it was such an eyesore, but because my dear old mum would worry herself sick if she knew he was out on it :)) He took off all the panels, mudguards and the legshields, as they were so dented and rode it as a 'skelly'. Not at all sure of the dates of this, but probably upto about '68 when he passed his test and got himself a car (an even older banger than the Li) There's a picture of him on the Lammy somewhere - it'll turn up eventually.
I remember his Ford Zephyr/Zodiac (the one with the fins), early 70s. To me it looked like the Bat Mobile! I'm sure there were 6 blokes and me in it at one time :happy:

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great find mate.
Scooters here, Just outside North London. The red bus routes terminated here and to go 'out' any further you had to get a 'green line' (less frequent). I've been told that scooters later on were functional, with none of the customising of the early 60s. Mick had a tatty old Li that he was really embarrassed about (used to leave it round his mate's house- not because it was such an eyesore, but because my dear old mum would worry herself sick if she knew he was out on it :)) He took off all the panels, mudguards and the legshields, as they were so dented and rode it as a 'skelly'. Not at all sure of the dates of this, but probably upto about '68 when he passed his test and got himself a car (an even older banger than the Li) There's a picture of him on the Lammy somewhere - it'll turn up eventually.
I remember his Ford Zephyr/Zodiac (the one with the fins), early 70s. To me it looked like the Bat Mobile! I'm sure there was 6 blokes and me in it at one time :happy:

I lived in the village of Shenley late 90s Hertsfordshire for a few Years Paul, The kids would pass their Car test as soon as possible, am sure it was the same in the 60s/70, Talking about cars, one of the Hendon Mob had a old Ford Cousul Convertable, :) I remember pulling up outside the Cherry Tree Welwyn one Sunday summer evening superb ,:D

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right John, The Originals have fcuk all in common with the later 79/80 skinheads, But i do think we originals done a lot of damage from the start, the Violence,the Racism, Homophobia, I think the Punks in 79 looked at the original skinheads and said yep i.am gonna be like them, and because teenagers was more politicly aware 79/80 certain Punks with right wing thinking adopted the skinhead look and changed it into their Punk sort of Skinhead style ???

I think you're right, Roy. Basically we were doing our own thing, which reflected the times we lived in, the values we grew up with, and so on. By 1970 I was pushing 20 years of age, and I had already seen everyone's little brother come into the fashion and attach themselves to the name 'skinhead' and to the 'look'; and even then I could see kids thinking "We're 'skinheads' so now we've got to be into agro and ****-bashing...". They were already a step away from where my crowd had been, even though it was a short step. The next wave, the late 70s punk wave of skinheads, they were a step even further. BUT if we hadn't been there in the first place, there would have been no one for them to copy, even inaccurately.

I'm glad that there is a strong element in the current revival crowd who are more interested in the look than anything else. That's what mattered most to me at the time.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Anyone seen this docu?Almost Grown? Some new footage to me:

A youth club, kingstonians playing in the background, some black lads playing a game, cut to a kid they interview about the violence

Here's more, new footage to me (also some late 70s/80s footage mixed in further down the video), also notice the kid with the big scar over his face 0:36 (was also in soul brittania):

Roy, you've probably seen this dozen times before, but the famous footage of the Kilburn mob with the original sound still there, never seen it with the original sound.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy, you've probably seen this dozen times before, but the famous footage of the Kilburn mob with the original sound still there, never seen it with the original sound.
[/quote]

The night it was filmed their was a disco.. they also laid on a live reggae band, so i cannot remember if the crowd are dancing to the disco or the live band?
The whole documentary was filmed over a week, Their was maybe 150 Teenagers there that night with about 30 Black Kilburn Rudies . The Phoenix Youth club was actually in a School. The Northern girl talking was nothing to do with the original program also the lad with the two fingers up was fcuk all to do with it,

loempiavreter

Reaction score
This is without the northern girl and the picture of fella sticking 2 fingers up, slightly different cut of the documentary, you do see the band a little bit and hear them play (and not hear the song overdub as the other one).

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is without the northern girl and the picture of fella sticking 2 fingers up, slightly different cut of the documentary, you do see the band a little bit and hear them play (and not hear the song overdub as the other one).

can you post the link loampiavreter ?

loempiavreter

Reaction score
It's this one:

It jumps directly to the scene (it should), but you have to let it load probably.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's this one:

It jumps directly to the scene (it should), but you have to let it load probably.

Ha ha.. that is a different angle that i have not seen before... recognised a couple of more characters lol, Bert Cathrey and Phil Chester, the lad with the shirt and tie in the front...trying to remember his name, its funny he was a smart lad who was a hanger on rather than in the gang.

ek77

Reaction score

I thought that the only influence that was taken from blacks/west Indians/Rudies was the razor parting, crombie coat and the high rise bottoms(in jeans/pants) & that they[Skinheads] just associated with music like Ska/Reggae since it was unheard of by the masses. Were brogues a Rudie thing too?

i would say that brogues are an american thing... also the razor parting... crombie coats are for shure british...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i would say that brogues are an american thing... also the razor parting... crombie coats are for shure british...

The Rudies seemed to like the Royals Plain Caps,/Smooths, The Brogue worn by Skinheads was the so called American Brogues, Which was the Long Wing Tip. The English Brogue is different and if worn by the ignorant ...you would have had the piss taken out of you.:)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads