• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also liked to listen to a bit of Soulboy alongside the 4 Skins, a skinhead does need some time off...

Meanwhile it was definitely over for 2Tone by 1982 and nobody had any interest in any of that 1969 stuff. The only retro thing I was aware of was Northern Soul.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The song is about something that happened to him, only it didn't happen that way.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sayin he tried to instigate and then tried to complain it was a political issue?

It didn't involve skinheads or nazis and it wasn't a racist attack, apart from that the song is completely accurate...

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
It didn't involve skinheads or nazis and it wasn't a racist attack, apart from that the song is completely accurate...
Interesting. It's one of my fave beats by those guys. I really feel no way about nazis really, what do I care what someone wants to call themselves. I used to live in Portland Oregon in the late 90s and seen it all. Anti Fascist or Fascist is the same to me. I just leave it alone unless someone gets in my face, which has never happened.

Last edited:

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I also liked to listen to a bit of Soulboy alongside the 4 Skins, a skinhead does need some time off...

Meanwhile it was definitely over for 2Tone by 1982 and nobody had any interest in any of that 1969 stuff. The only retro thing I was aware of was Northern Soul.

Funny, this is what the gangsters in So Cal would boogie to back in the days.

Last edited:

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I believe black American artists had wider success in the UK than they did in the USA where the charts were more segregated.
That seems accurate, the rec company's in America were pushing alota folk, country, and easy listening at that time.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I just seen this pic of Michelle Obama from her youth. I don't know the year.
Absoleme-Michelle-Obama-jeune_600x600.png

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe black American artists had wider success in the UK than they did in the USA where the charts were more segregated.

There's some truth in that although I'm not sure if It was entirely due to segregation, the British Blues Invasion of the 1960s had been inspired and fuelled by old American Blues records from decades earlier.

Jimi Hendrix had to come here to be successful (he played my town in Yorkshire in '67 just before he made it big)

Later on in the 1970s Northern Soul nights (mostly around the North West) played obscure imported soul records and made the artists reasonably famous in some Northern UK Cities

In the 80's we embraced Chicago House Music (thanks to members of Joy Division) and 70s funk and made it into something entirely different (fuelled by Ecstasy of course)

We currently have an offshoot of Rap music in the UK called "Drill" which I know nothing about as I'm way too old 🤐

What goes around comes around 🙂

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads