• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First ever trip to John Simons today. Hadn't realised it was so close to Marylebone and popped in while I was in the area.
Quite tempted by a short raincoat but resisted as I don't really need another. Best part was that I normally take an XL and the L was a good fit - somebody must be flattering the customers :)
Friendly staff.

Must be reading my mind— looked at the John Simons site today. Have a few bits, always well-made with nice details.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My three visits to JS have always been fruitful - a vintage G9, a mohair suit, a knitted tie.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I preferred his shop in Covent Garden that preceded this one.
I went to that one close to Marylebone a couple of times, some nice stuff, but never bought anything.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me that myself and about four or five others (boys and girls) vaguely from the Blackpool mods in about '67 called ourselves "The Nice." And then we heard about the band of that name and dropped it. Funny how one's memory gets jogged!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and of course we went to see them at a gig in Blackpool. Same bill as The Move, Pink Floyd, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. (Bloody hell, what a line-up!)

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and of course we went to see them at a gig in Blackpool. Same bill as The Move, Pink Floyd, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. (Bloody hell, what a line-up!)

Jimi Hendrix once played The Troutbeck Hotel in Ilkley, but the local Bobby had to shut it down after one song as the place was too overcrowded, apparently they all went for Fish & Chips at Harry Ramsdens up the road after the gig 🤣

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Interesting if a bit vague. And I'm sure he could have found a picture of a Florsheim wingtip to go with it if he'd had 20 seconds of spare google time.

A link from that page about gangs, mentions a few traditional bike gangs in the US, then has a couple of lines on English gangs and says ....
"UK Street Gangs

The Aldenham Glamour Boys

They attended Aldenham Boys Club in north London and fought turf wars with the likes of the rival Highbury and Somerstown mobs. They wore imported Levi’s and silver spray-painted Doc Martens, loved Jamaican ska and became a top skinhead firm of the early Seventies. At least four members of Madness were AGB."
We got battered by Highbury and wouldn't go near Somerstown. The bit about Levi's and painted Martens is sort of true but most kids were doing that at the time. As for being a 'top skinhead firm' - complete and utter fabrication. Mike and Lee were Aldenham boys. Chris to a lesser extent. None of the others had anything to do with the youth club. That's what it was, a youth club. Just so you know, I invented the name.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix once played The Troutbeck Hotel in Ilkley, but the local Bobby had to shut it down after one song as the place was too overcrowded, apparently they all went for Fish & Chips at Harry Ramsdens up the road after the gig 🤣
My older brother is in a camera club with a bloke who reckons that he was the copper that pulled the plug on Hendrix in Ilkley.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My older brother is in a camera club with a bloke who reckons that he was the copper that pulled the plug on Hendrix in Ilkley.

It's possible, it was a very small Police Station and the Copper did indeed have to shut the power down, he would be an elderly gentleman now of course 🙂

Coincidentally, I was born on 18th August 1969, the day that Jimi played Woodstock 🤣

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's possible, it was a very small Police Station and the Copper did indeed have to shut the power down, he would be an elderly gentleman now of course 🙂

Coincidentally, I was born on 18th August 1969, the day that Jimi played Woodstock 🤣
I think he said that he was well into his 70’s.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it was Police Sergeant Chapman who shut the power down.

But this officer was also present to quell the rioting at the hotel.

I like his attitude of a "stern talking to or a thick ear"

Declining to Police the striking Miners tells you all you need to know where his loyalties lay. Proper Policeman 🙂

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads