• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Hey reggae mike, I really dig what you're doing here with all the music posts and those big collared shirts!

Feeling at home on this thread. At the moment I'm doing my best with my stupidly low budget, stretching it between my interests in classic menswear and in hard mod stuff so I don't quite have proper fits (I destroyed my piggy bank two years ago for some proper boots but I lack some pieces that would make you say I'm spot on, I try and make do with what's available in my area).

EDIT: please never stop posting some good old skinhead reggae (maybe just ease up a bit on the Judge Dread songs? Really not my cup lol)
Give thanks, Soul Brotha. I'm in the second hand store all the time is the way I come up on most my gears. What pieces would make you feel more proper? Special Request on ya

Last edited:

DavidWatts69

Reaction score
I desperately need some red or blue skinny braces (I stole some black ones from my dad but they're too wide, and thrifted some green ones that are slim enough), and I'd like to find better button-downs also. I've recently bought a second-hand gingham shirt but it's a dress shirt with a classic collar. It looks fine but it's defo not the Ben Sherman type which would be more appropriate.

I have my fair share of polo shirts too, but nothing too fancy and they all come from basic retail stores (can't imagine spending 80€ on one single Fred Perry)

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I desperately need some red or blue skinny braces (I stole some black ones from my dad but they're too wide, and thrifted some green ones that are slim enough), and I'd like to find better button-downs also. I've recently bought a second-hand gingham shirt but it's a dress shirt with a classic collar. It looks fine but it's defo not the Ben Sherman type which would be more appropriate.

I have my fair share of polo shirts too, but nothing too fancy and they all come from basic retail stores (can't imagine spending 80€ on one single Fred Perry)
Those skinny braces are harder to come by in this time. My opinion is the fit is mo important than any branding, Ben Sherman doesn't really make the same cut of shirts like the late 60s. I think Fred's are authentic, cuz that was the brand the mods and skins were going for at the time, but I feel they were mo prevalent in the 80s. If you got guilt.com in the UK, they got Brooks Brother Shirts for half the price of other places. Your off to a good start though mate, you've got years ahead of you to get your style the way you want it, and you got this thread, something any revival Skinhead would of loved to have in their youth.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I don’t really do much knitwear but this looks like a good find. If you try pulling the sleeves down and folding the cuffs over you’ll mitigate a lot of those doughnuts you have around the arms.
Sho yuh right. Probably wudda if I was gunna be moving around more, but I just shot the pic to sho the jumper. Plus I like the ribbing on the cuff and the bottom.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was obsessed with The Jam as a yoof.
In many cases I prefer originals to covers but there are exceptions. I heard The Jam’s version first and when I later heard The Kinks’ I thought their version sounded a bit weedy compared to The Jam. (Weller only sings the chorus of course).

I prefer Rod’s ‘The First Cut’ over Cat Stevens’. Then I saw Terence Trent D’Arby do it live and he pisses on them all!

I prefer Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s ‘War’ over The Jam’s and Edwin Starr’s.

I prefer Pierce Brosnan’s version of ‘The Thomas Crown Affair’ over Steve McQueen’s.

Swampster

Reaction score
I think the best covers are those where you can like both because each brings something different to the song. Sleeper's version of Blondie's 'Atomic' is so similar that there seems no point.
The British RnB groups of the early/mid sixties tended to speed up the blues songs they played, turning them into something new.

There is doubtless some clothes analogy which this can be applied to :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads