• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually fancy myself pretty tough, but you and coal mining may be a little tougher.

I tip my hat to you mate, coal mining sounds like a honest days work.
Yea I did 21 years, although I was an electrical engineer and not an actual miner, but we all mucked in together if need be.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Yea I did 21 years, although I was an electrical engineer and not an actual miner, but we all mucked in together if need be.
Electrician is great work too. I always figure you can be needed anywhere worldwide as an Electrician. Respect.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Electrician is great work too. I always figure you can be needed anywhere worldwide as an Electrician. Respect.
I now do a much easier and healthier job teaching electrical engineering to industry, no donkey jacket req'd. Almost a Phil Collins record name there.?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I now do a much easier and healthier job teaching electrical engineering to industry, no donkey jacket req'd. Almost a Phil Collins record name there.?
Teacher now!? Your an inspiration for me. That sounds like the text book way to do it to me

Inkss

Reaction score
RIP to auteur Peter Bogdanovich. Director of Targets (1968), which featured the best dressed spree-killer/psychopath in cinema, 'Bobby Thompson'
targets.jpg

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
I worked on the Thames Barrier project between 1978-1981. All site workers were issued with donkey jackets and on night shifts everyone wore them. As management, but at the sharp end on site, I was given the option of a donkey jacket or a nasty nylon coat. I chose the donkey jacket but later changed to the nylon one which was waterproof and needed as my job involved walking around the large site in all conditions. Senior management in the offices wanted us junior guys not to wear the donkey jackets as it was a means of distancing ourselves from ' the workers' ! I wish I had that donkey jacket now. May be a collectors item.

vim147

Reaction score
Has anyone had a jacket inner re-lined ? If so how much did it cost exc material.

I've seen a Harrington jacket in Next UK instore for £55. I've tried on various Harrington jackets before from Barracuta, Real Hoxton, Ben Sherman etc but the Next one has the best fit for me.

The only thing I don't like about the Next Harrington jacket is that it doesn't have tartan lining. Just wondered how much it would cost to have it relined by a local tailor. Just the body not the inner sleeves. Or maybe theres a cheaper solution.

Next Harrington Jacket

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a jacket inner re-lined ? If so how much did it cost exc material.

I've seen a Harrington jacket in Next UK instore for £55. I've tried on various Harrington jackets before from Barracuta, Real Hoxton, Ben Sherman etc but the Next one has the best fit for me.

The only thing I don't like about the Next Harrington jacket is that it doesn't have tartan lining. Just wondered how much it would cost to have it relined by a local tailor. Just the body not the inner sleeves. Or maybe theres a cheaper solution.

Next Harrington Jacket
One of the lads on here has mentioned having his tartan lining replaced - was it @cerneabbas ? - so he might be able to recommend where he had it done and he might even have kept his old tartan that you could use?

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Next Harrington Jacket

I have seen those Next Harringtons ,great quality and a good fit , no baggy arms . I recall there being no tartan lining but considering the lining is rarely seen , l don't think it is a problem . Baracuta claim they got permission from the Fraser Clan to use their tartan as a lining but l doubt very much all those other generic brands of Harrington ever approached the Stewart Clan to use their tartan . .and considering the current monarch claims to be Head of the House of Stewart , l guess they would need the permission of the Queen . .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... considering the current monarch claims to be Head of the House of Stewart...

Just an excursus here. Henry, bother of Charles Edward Stewart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) and last legitimate Stewart claimant to the throne, died without an heir. He bequeathed all his rights and privileges to the House of Hannover, hence the reining monarch is Chief of the Clan Stewart.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an excursus here. Henry, bother of Charles Edward Stewart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) and last legitimate Stewart claimant to the throne, died without an heir. He bequeathed all his rights and privileges to the House of Hannover, hence the reining monarch is Chief of the Clan Stewart.
. .which is quite possibly the reason why , in the 19th c that the Hanovarians were willing to pay for a mausoleum to Henry his dad and big bro' in St Peter's. .

ETA - the tartan known as Royal Stewart , which tends to adorn those generic Harringtons as well as those Scottish tat shops in the Royal Mile , was probably invented by Sir Walter Scott for the visit of the Hanovarian King to Scotland in 1822 . .

Last edited:

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Just bought this ribbed bottle green cardigan brand new for £12 doesn't look too bad, wish i could remember what i did with the relco one i had, would buy another but not paying 40 quid for a cardigan.
s-l1600.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads