• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Never saw a donkey jacket with leather.
Not saying it never happened but seems a bit extravagant for a totally rough outdoor workwear item. Also the purpose of the PVC was to keep the shoulders dry - surely PVC would do a better job of that than leather?
They exist, but are far less common than the pvc ones, the pvc also varies in material and quality, some thin some thicker.

I am thinking the leather ones are from before 1960, perhaps late 30's 1940's to late 50's, leather isn't always a sign of luxury, on the leather donkey jacket i had it wasn't the kind you get on a upmarket jacket, and like you said pvc does a better job for poor weather but leather would of probably been more common 1940 to 60 as polyester was only invented in the early 40's, older blokes were also wearing hobnails all the way into the sixties.

I still wear my donkey jackets as i just like them and they are warm utilitarian items, not a skinhead anymore so i'm not really bothered if they are ''skinhead'' or not, they look great imo with flat caps. A very northern look, i get plenty of compliments from folk who remember them, they are not actually that common to see anymore from my experience, the last person i saw wearing one funnily enough was a middle aged goth, didn't look bad in all honesty.
That's what I read. I was born and raised in Southern California, and had never seen a one in real life.
I have heard a story a while back of some being being imported to american surplus shops, but i don't know if it's true, i do know they were a thing in germany and some made there way to japan, but they are a british item really.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
A rather unique donkey jacket
il_1140xN.3258841041_gwhb.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
They exist, but are far less common than the pvc ones, the pvc also varies in material and quality, some thin some thicker.

I am thinking the leather ones are from before 1960, perhaps late 30's 1940's to late 50's, leather isn't always a sign of luxury, on the leather donkey jacket i had it wasn't the kind you get on a upmarket jacket, and like you said pvc does a better job for poor weather but leather would of probably been more common 1940 to 60 as polyester was only invented in the early 40's, older blokes were also wearing hobnails all the way into the sixties.

I still wear my donkey jackets as i just like them and they are warm utilitarian items, not a skinhead anymore so i'm not really bothered if they are ''skinhead'' or not, they look great imo with flat caps. A very northern look, i get plenty of compliments from folk who remember them, they are not actually that common to see anymore from my experience, the last person i saw wearing one funnily enough was a middle aged goth, didn't look bad in all honesty.

I have heard a story a while back of some being being imported to american surplus shops, but i don't know if it's true, i do know they were a thing in germany and some made there way to japan, but they are a british item really.
I can think of only one surplus store in town who would dare just because of the close to zero demand due to the weather, but this guy likes to stock the more obscure vintage items. I wear the one I pictured with jumpers or a button down with sleeveless jumpers, looks cool enough.I don't think I could ever be a Skinhead in the way an Original would have been or even an English person would be, but from the first time I got around people that considered themselves Skinheads I was hooked. That was about 29 years ago for me. The only thing that's changed is now I collect clothes sted of music.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Keeping warm by burning stacks of 100s in a solid gold oil drum down on the hedge fund picket line.
It actually looks like a 1930's one a bit with how the shoulder pads extend all the way down the arms, but at 500 quid, f that, the arms on the thirties ones also seem to be elasticated. I would buy a 1930's reproduction.
2.jpg

I can think of only one surplus store in town who would dare just because of the close to zero demand due to the weather, but this guy likes to stock the more obscure vintage items. I wear the one I pictured with jumpers or a button down with sleeveless jumpers, looks cool enough.I don't think I could ever be a Skinhead in the way an Original would have been or even an English person would be, but from the first time I got around people that considered themselves Skinheads I was hooked. That was about 29 years ago for me. The only thing that's changed is now I collect clothes sted of music.
I think he would struggle to stock vintage ones these days, even second hand ones are going up in price sometimes going for £70, companies make reproductions but they don't feel ''right'' the wool is too luxurious or just doesn't feel the same, i only have two now, one i have had for 5 years and one i paid a quid for in a charity shop back in 2020 which is a vintage original. i have given some away to old blokes what were too big or small for me, no man needs 5+ donkey jackets.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here but perhaps the reason for leather shoulders wasn’t for rain protection as we assume, but for protection for utilitarian workers in the same way geography teachers have leather (suede) elbow patches and shooting jackets have shoulder patches for the gun stock.
Maybe the leather was to add protection for people carrying ladders or brick hods over their shoulder.
I remember as a kid one of our regular crew of bin men wore a long leather waistcoat over his overalls which obviously wasn’t “Rich Corinthian leather!”but tough old boot leather to protect him from carrying the heavy galvanised iron dustbins that we had back then.
Bernard Lee (M in the Bond films) wears something similar over his army inform in The Third Man.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
It actually looks like a 1930's one a bit with how the shoulder pads extend all the way down the arms, but at 500 quid, f that, the arms on the thirties ones also seem to be elasticated. I would buy a 1930's reproduction.
View attachment 1731545

I think he would struggle to stock vintage ones these days, even second hand ones are going up in price sometimes going for £70, companies make reproductions but they don't feel ''right'' the wool is too luxurious or just doesn't feel the same, i only have two now, one i have had for 5 years and one i paid a quid for in a charity shop back in 2020 which is a vintage original. i have given some away to old blokes what were too big or small for me, no man needs 5+ donkey jackets.
IDK, I'm creepin up on 5 Harrington's. But giving someone a jacket like that, what you know is gonna work and help should carry a good feeling. This guy likes the vintage stuff and he's not afraid to price high. I remember 1 time he had a Pendelton MAC style overcoat with multi colored wool for $100. I was too poor at the time, otherwise it would be mine. I got a Valley Apperel MA-1 there for $125, it's not vintage though

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here but perhaps the reason for leather shoulders wasn’t for rain protection as we assume, but for protection for utilitarian workers in the same way geography teachers have leather (suede) elbow patches and shooting jackets have shoulder patches for the gun stock.
Maybe the leather was to add protection for people carrying ladders or brick hods over their shoulder.
I remember as a kid one of our regular crew of bin men wore a long leather waistcoat over his overalls which obviously wasn’t “Rich Corinthian leather!”but tough old boot leather to protect him from carrying the heavy galvanised iron dustbins that we had back then.
Bernard Lee (M in the Bond films) wears something similar over his army inform in The Third Man.
If that is not the reason it should of been. I often wish certain parts of of my work wear was reinforced with leather

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
I never thought it was for rain protection honestly, but for when you carry stuff on your shoulder for added protection like you said, as for the switch to pvc, it would of just been cheaper. You also got donkey jackets with elbow patches.
Probably a ww2 era leather jerkin, that's what it sounds like, they would of been common after the war.
ww2-british-army-leather-jerkin_11191_main_size3.jpg

IDK, I'm creepin up on 5 Harrington's. But giving someone a jacket like that, what you know is gonna work and help should carry a good feeling.
Not sure the blokes i gave them to would wear them to work now, they looked like they were retirement age in their mid 60's at least, but i don't mind if it helps then have a bit of nostalgia and relive old memories, i did used to wear one of mine when i was a bin man and factory worker.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just going to mention Bernard Lee and those leather items, and -bingo! - there was your post! Here's a pic of him wearing it, with Trevor Howard in a duffel.

Yes, I remember bin men wearing them too.
Lee 3.jpeg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear donkey jackets a lot, but only whilst at work when I worked in the coal mines. They originally had orange pvc on the shoulders with NCB on them, and after privatisation they changed to yellow with British Coal on them. We also got issued with a longer hooded version for when it was really cold. My normal attire was usually orange shorts and t shirt with reflective strips on them, as it was f###ing boiling most of the time, I probably wouldn't have looked out of place at a rave or house party in the 90's.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I used to wear donkey jackets a lot, but only whilst at work when I worked in the coal mines. They originally had orange pvc on the shoulders with NCB on them, and after privatisation they changed to yellow with British Coal on them. We also got issued with a longer hooded version for when it was really cold. My normal attire was usually orange shorts and t shirt with reflective strips on them, as it was f###ing boiling most of the time, I probably wouldn't have looked out of place at a rave or house party in the 90's.
I usually fancy myself pretty tough, but you and coal mining may be a little tougher.
I tip my hat to you mate, coal mining sounds like a honest days work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads