• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captura-de-ecra-2021-12-30-a-s-10-04-12.png

I don´t remember seeing this photo here. A double breasted military overcoat with ¿Sta-Prest? and boots. I really like the look and, honestly, I prefer wearing double breasted to crombie or even sheepskin (I have one from my grandpa in good condition...).

I usually wear like that guy, but then it was a bit odd, wasn´t it? Can anyone tell a little more about double breasted overcoats?

I once had a Gloverall Pea Coat, they are a great shorter version. Dress it up or down and great for cold British Winters. My schoolmates wore Army Greatcoats for a bit but they were more into the punk scene really

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I got this one. I didn't realize it was a donkey jacket type cut until I saw a picture of one online. It's nice and warm but looks kinda 50s to me.

Attachments

• 20220101_142302.jpg
    20220101_142302.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 68

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Captura-de-ecra-2021-12-30-a-s-10-04-12.png

I don´t remember seeing this photo here. A double breasted military overcoat with ¿Sta-Prest? and boots. I really like the look and, honestly, I prefer wearing double breasted to crombie or even sheepskin (I have one from my grandpa in good condition...).

I usually wear like that guy, but then it was a bit odd, wasn´t it? Can anyone tell a little more about double breasted overcoats?
We’ve had this photo before..iirc it is of some lads in Cambridge.
Greatcoats were quite popular around 69 in the Midlands as an alternative to a Parka.The scooter boys appreciated the warmth and protection of the big collar.Grey RAF ones were more common in our area,probably due to having a big RAF base nearby.You can see one of the other lads wearing Keyhole driving gloves which also gives an indication of the time.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I was reading more about donkey jackets and found out for myself the shoulder pieces were also made of leather, which made me think, maybe they're not so hideous. Also made me think that wearing non made made materials is one of the factors that gives a Mod, Skinhead or Ivy Leauge dresser more presence.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never saw a donkey jacket with leather.
Not saying it never happened but seems a bit extravagant for a totally rough outdoor workwear item. Also the purpose of the PVC was to keep the shoulders dry - surely PVC would do a better job of that than leather?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Never saw a donkey jacket with leather.
Not saying it never happened but seems a bit extravagant for a totally rough outdoor workwear item. Also the purpose of the PVC was to keep the shoulders dry - surely PVC would do a better job of that than leather?
That's what I read. I was born and raised in Southern California, and had never seen a one in real life.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I read. I was born and raised in Southern California, and had never seen a one in real life.
They were very common in my home town which was mainly coal mining, ship building and assorted heavy industry (pre Thatcher of course!).
Usually the PVC shoulder panel was used to display the company emblem such as ‘NCB’ (national Coal Board) etc.

One of my brothers had a college room mate whose dad worked at the donkey jacket factory so he got all of us three a jacket each. We could choose the details. Mine had a black watch wool lining and no PVC. I think it might still be at my other brother’s house in England. He chose one with internal PVC so it had some waterproof effect but didn’t look as utilitarian as with outer PVC.

I’ve seen pics in this thread of other obscure variations such as PVC shoulder caps around the upper arms, and full PVC sleeves.

I was a young kid in the sixties so I’m not old enough to remember if original skins wore them. My guess would be that they wore them for work if they had blue collar jobs but changed into something more stylish for any social oocasion. They were very common on skins during the skin revival period, at which time skins were mortal enemies of revival Mods and for that reason I ******* hated them as they were too dense to know that their style had grown out of Mod style originally. As much grief as I got from skins back then I never once got confronted one-on-one they were always in packs. I had very short hair back then and wore said donkey jacket over my school blazer in the winter so I dare say some skins who didn’t know me didn’t know I was a Mod so left me alone!

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
They were very common in my home town which was mainly coal mining, ship building and assorted heavy industry (pre Thatcher of course!).
Usually the PVC shoulder panel was used to display the company emblem such as ‘NCB’ (national Coal Board) etc.

One of my brothers had a college room mate whose dad worked at the donkey jacket factory so he got all of us three a jacket each. We could choose the details. Mine had a black watch wool lining and no PVC. I think it might still be at my other brother’s house in England. He chose one with internal PVC so it had some waterproof effect but didn’t look as utilitarian as with outer PVC.

I’ve seen pics in this thread of other obscure variations such as PVC shoulder caps around the upper arms, and full PVC sleeves.

I was a young kid in the sixties so I’m not old enough to remember if original skins wore them. My guess would be that they wore them for work if they had blue collar jobs but changed into something more stylish for any social oocasion. They were very common on skins during the skin revival period, at which time skins were mortal enemies of revival Mods and for that reason I ******* hated them as they were too dense to know that their style had grown out of Mod style originally. As much grief as I got from skins back then I never once got confronted one-on-one they were always in packs. I had very short hair back then and wore said donkey jacket over my school blazer in the winter so I dare say some skins who didn’t know me didn’t know I was a Mod so left me alone!
I don't like to hear stories bout punks or mobsters who dress like Skinheads and muck up the fashion. I always figure if you want to romp with me don't make up a reason, just come bring it. When I grew up the violence on the street was crippling or fatal on principle so even the average gangster was careful about what come outta they mouth. I like to dress from the 67- 72 years of Mod to Suedehead fashion and in part from this thread understand the complete history. Lots of times I see Pic of Skins on the internet with they face all screwed to show what? Anger and Skinheads are not the same thing to me. That's cool you had the hook up on the custie Donkey Jacket though. They seem super effective as utilitarian gear.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wore mine for a few years in school and college and left it home when I moved to America. It definitely served me well for a few years. Last year I got a US Navy pea coat from 1968 ($40 off eBay - one of my best scores!) which to me is more stylish than a donkey jacket and with the weight of the cloth probably a lot more warm for those rare occasions that I venture into winter weather.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Yeah I wore mine for a few years in school and college and left it home when I moved to America. It definitely served me well for a few years. Last year I got a US Navy pea coat from 1968 ($40 off eBay - one of my best scores!) which to me is more stylish than a donkey jacket and with the weight of the cloth probably a lot more warm for those rare occasions that I venture into winter weather.
That is a remarkable score. I am familiar with Navy Pea Coats. I totally agree about the styling, and I know those Pea Coats will stop winter weather cold( pun intended). There is maybe 1 week a year it's cold enough here to wear something like that. Both my wife and I eagerly await the winter, just for the clothes. We'd move to a colder climate but I know then we would miss the variety of music we benefit from in our location. Most likely I would not dress the way I do if I could not step out to a dance.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
With such a title, it would be rather fun to have lads from this thread here:
:-D

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Nordstrom Rack in the US gots Ben Sherman Harrington's for 50 USDollars right now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads