• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of wearing Fred Perry polo shirts ?
I tried a small size which fits me like a glove but am normally between a small and medium.
Do they tend to shrink a little in the wash ?
I only ever buy the MiE FP polos, more expensive unless you can pick them up in a sale, but far better quality and fit wise, bought some more untipped ones recently in white, navy and black to wear with blazers etc.

Inkss

Reaction score
From the excellent Don McCullin book (well worth buying) :

Chapel Market, London 1962
chapelmark.jpg

Derry, north Ireland 1971
derry71.jpg

Southend 80
southend.jpg

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score
In my first post here I asked about any experiences with solovair and wide feet. Just wanted to report I finally gave it a try with the 8 eye derby boot, which apparently is a wider last than the astronauts that I liked better in appearance. Turned out they were wide enough in terms of the upper material but the design just didn't fit my foot shape, too much of the ball of the foot over the welt. Maybe that's how they're meant to fit. Anyway, it didn't work for me. Solovair kindly accepted the return - they have truly excellent customer service - and I kept the pair of made in England socks I ordered with the boots, which are very nice.

I recently went ahead and bought a pair of Red Wing 953 workboots from a local shop.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/soft-toe/SuperSole-00953.html

They have hooked eyelets, the welt stitching isn't visible, and the toe isn't quite right. But the profile is pretty close to what I wanted. And they're union made, come in a wide size, and get great reviews as real work boots - not fashion boots. I am liking them a lot so far and considering dying them black one of these days, or just polishing with oxblood to change the brown color just slightly.

A question for originals, or anyone really: my understanding is that the Look adopted so much of American style - the ivy shirts, Levi's jeans, etc. - but never touched classic US boot brands like Red Wing. If that's correct, any idea why that is?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
In my first post here I asked about any experiences with solovair and wide feet. Just wanted to report I finally gave it a try with the 8 eye derby boot, which apparently is a wider last than the astronauts that I liked better in appearance. Turned out they were wide enough in terms of the upper material but the design just didn't fit my foot shape, too much of the ball of the foot over the welt. Maybe that's how they're meant to fit. Anyway, it didn't work for me. Solovair kindly accepted the return - they have truly excellent customer service - and I kept the pair of made in England socks I ordered with the boots, which are very nice.

I recently went ahead and bought a pair of Red Wing 953 workboots from a local shop.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/soft-toe/SuperSole-00953.html

They have hooked eyelets, the welt stitching isn't visible, and the toe isn't quite right. But the profile is pretty close to what I wanted. And they're union made, come in a wide size, and get great reviews as real work boots - not fashion boots. I am liking them a lot so far and considering dying them black one of these days, or just polishing with oxblood to change the brown color just slightly.

A question for originals, or anyone really: my understanding is that the Look adopted so much of American style - the ivy shirts, Levi's jeans, etc. - but never touched classic US boot brands like Red Wing. If that's correct, any idea why that is?
I'm too young and American to know first hand, but I don't see how any Skinhead would reject those boots. It's my understanding the gear the OGs wore was based alot on accessibility.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up in the UK I can't say I ever heard of Red Wing until maybe 10 years ago, I suppose being originally workwear they were just overlooked by the Ivy League type shops.

Doc Martens have always been ubiquitous however, I had them at school and then as an apprentice mechanic in the 80s

Military style boots were always an option from the "Army & Navy" stores

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Yeh, in the 70's my parents weren’t part of any subculture I was aware of. They just considered (Dr Martens) Airwear boots to be comfy work/walking boots and in our case locally made.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pre Xmas presents bought by myself but from parents, in laws, and missus etc.
Sanders Playboys

IMG_0534.JPG

Jamiesons Shetland knits

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Jaeger "Crombie"

IMG_0537.JPG

MiE FP's

IMG_0542.JPG

Inkss

Reaction score
Watched the fillum Foxcatcher at the weekend. The story of the bollock-bereft and all-round dangerous heid-the-baw John DuPont. Found a photo of him and his frat at Penn :
jdp.jpg

Bloke second from the end, bottom row left knows what's going on.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought these would fit into this thread well. Granted, they have a commando sole but they have that sort of “apron top” you originals seem to have gone for in the early days. Cordovan leather, made by Alden local to me. Sorta wide-fitting and ultra comfy outta the box 9C729B88-B6E3-4D32-A55A-826DA8388A2D.jpeg 0B72B549-8A73-469E-901D-1A7F997313C6.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads