• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Much more like the one below. They were de rigeur in NW England in about 1967. Mainly navy blue with slightly darker cuffs. Some ice-blue with navy cuffs, very occasionally red with navy cuffs. A true mod item.

View attachment 1714549

The kid sitting next to George Harrison in this still from Magical Mystery Tour is wearing one.

View attachment 1714550
Thanks so much. Long time I wondered about that. There not many physical examples of jackets like that these days. I like the subtlety of the solid color.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
It's cool for me to realize how the stylish British youth resisted the hippie fashion. The Ivy Leaguers over here didn't have a choice, they couldn't dress like hippie at school. They were berated as nerds and squares, so the fashion fell away. But Skinheads was like hell no. One of the reasons Skinhead caught on with me is my Grandfather was a DJ for Decca records and played trombone. He'd dress Inna Ivy Leauge fashion. I thought he was cool like Miles Davis. Also I grew up on 60s R&B, Motown, Elvis and the Beatles mostly, my folks weren't rockers. I just think it's so cool, Jamacia separate from all that made a huge impact on me mostly cuz of Reggae but also the culture. Skinheads have preserved the coolest aspects of the world to me.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Interesting new grafters monkey boots with a different sole, they look somewhat better quality than the old ones, i like the commando style sole tbh might get a pair.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Stole these from Ebay. But the wife has cut me off fo awhile

Attachments

• 20211204_194322.jpg
    20211204_194322.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 85

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
These don't fit my waist no more. If your interested let me know. The Sta Prest small pull is just above the knee on the right side.
20211212_102222.jpg
20211212_102145.jpg
20211212_102054.jpg
20211212_102039.jpg
20211212_101927.jpg
20211212_101841.jpg
20211212_101810.jpg
20211212_101645.jpg
20211212_101521.jpg
20211212_101430.jpg
20211212_101416.jpg

Attachments

• 20211212_102222.jpg
    20211212_102222.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 27

vim147

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of wearing Fred Perry polo shirts ?
I tried a small size which fits me like a glove but am normally between a small and medium.
Do they tend to shrink a little in the wash ?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of wearing Fred Perry polo shirts ?
I tried a small size which fits me like a glove but am normally between a small and medium.
Do they tend to shrink a little in the wash ?
In my experience they shrink. But I also very in body mass. If you hang dry or tumble dry they will keep their shape better.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tumble dry? Surely that’s the fastest way to shrink ‘em unless you have the option to adjust the heat settings?

I tumble dry some polos if they’re knockabout ones or if I’ve had them long enough that I’m satisfied they’re unlikely to shrink further. More prized items dry on the line which has to be the safest way to preserve your gear.

When I was a kid we had a pulley fixed to the ceiling for clothes to dry on in our kitchen. I found a smaller less heavy duty one on eBay for about $35 which I put up in the laundry room in my house a couple of years ago which is fine for all the line-drying items I have.

(I think we had a ‘clothes horse’ too when I was a kid for drying stuff in front of the fire. All these things were necessary when you live in NE England and warm dry days are such a rarity!

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Tumble dry? Surely that’s the fastest way to shrink ‘em unless you have the option to adjust the heat settings?

I tumble dry some polos if they’re knockabout ones or if I’ve had them long enough that I’m satisfied they’re unlikely to shrink further. More prized items dry on the line which has to be the safest way to preserve your gear.

When I was a kid we had a pulley fixed to the ceiling for clothes to dry on in our kitchen. I found a smaller less heavy duty one on eBay for about $35 which I put up in the laundry room in my house a couple of years ago which is fine for all the line-drying items I have.

(I think we had a ‘clothes horse’ too when I was a kid for drying stuff in front of the fire. All these things were necessary when you live in NE England and warm dry days are such a rarity!
Oops, your totally right. Fred Perry says no tumble dryer. I was always under the impression tumble dry meant no or low heat. But I guess tumble dry is a discription of how the machine works.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I can't imagine what you'd use blast furnace for, mabey baked potatoes. I'm 100% with you line drying is best. Those Freds are a pretty penny.

i inherited a couple of FPs from my brothers in the late seventies revival period. I don’t think I had any after that for over twenty years. I tended to go for Lacostes more than anything which could be had here in America for around $50 on sale.
I remember coming home in summer 2002 and got FPs in white, black and maroon. I still have the white one, the others faded badly and quickly and were soon binned off. I think there’s a broad variance in FP quality - perhaps related to where they’re made - and this includes dyes and longevity, especially darker colours. The same can be said of Lacostes now since they started offshoring their production many years ago.
I’ve since acquired quite a few FPs in short and long sleeves but I’m very careful to wash cold and line dry, not only to stop shrinkage but also to preserve the colours.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
i inherited a couple of FPs from my brothers in the late seventies revival period. I don’t think I had any after that for over twenty years. I tended to go for Lacostes more than anything which could be had here in America for around $50 on sale.
I remember coming home in summer 2002 and got FPs in white, black and maroon. I still have the white one, the others faded badly and quickly and were soon binned off. I think there’s a broad variance in FP quality - perhaps related to where they’re made - and this includes dyes and longevity, especially darker colours. The same can be said of Lacostes now since they started offshoring their production many years ago.
I’ve since acquired quite a few FPs in short and long sleeves but I’m very careful to wash cold and line dry, not only to stop shrinkage but also to preserve the colours.
I love Lacoste for the vivid color selection. Ive been dealing with RL polos as the cut is more flattering for my big belly. My fave polos I own are long sleeve and made of cashmere, they've never even been in the same room as my washer or dryer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads