• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not sure on how to post, forgive me if Im posting in the wrong place, I just wanted to introduce myself and possibly join in the discussion. I've been reading this thread for years now, but only recently wanted to speak up. I was raised in Southern California and got involved with the local scene in 95 when I was 17. I was sheltered when I was young, so when I got out in the world I immersed myself in american subculture. My favorite memories are dancing the night away in local venues. I saw near every Jamacian 60s-70s artists. Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan,, Desmond Dekker, Laurel Aitken, Lenard Dillon, Alton Ellis, Pat Kelly, on and on. I've only recently have had the finances to realize my childhood fantasies of proper gear. I fell Skinhead is alive and well within me in the form of style, music.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I read earlier on the thread a Sheepskin rear vent was "wrong". Where rear vents on Sheepskins unseen at the time? I never saw a rear view in a pic and being from San Diego anyone in a Sheepskin is not a common sight.

Inkss

Reaction score
Good for you, though things were better in the days of the Latin mass and lengthy traditions. It all went a bit awry post the second Vatican council.

I was surprised at the number of adults who had never attended a funeral. I have been to so many since my primary school days.
I gave up going to arabics for about a decade. Especially since I tended to get way too messy at the repasts. I started attending again when I knocked the creature on the head a few years back.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I realize most had no vent or side vents. I was just curious if a rear vent would be out of place at the time.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize most had no vent or side vents. I was just curious if a rear vent would be out of place at the time.
Pure guess but I would suspect that length is a factor in whether a vent is wanted or needed. The cowboy style ones like McCloud wore (we called them ‘teddy bear coats when we were kids) were problies too short to require a vent. Some were styled a bit longer - somewhere between a car coat and a short trench coat - and a vent would probably have been needed.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Pure guess but I would suspect that length is a factor in whether a vent is wanted or needed. The cowboy style ones like McCloud wore (we called them ‘teddy bear coats when we were kids) were problies too short to require a vent. Some were styled a bit longer - somewhere between a car coat and a short trench coat - and a vent would probably have been needed.
I certainly appreciate your reply. Makes sense to me about size being a factor although its such a dense material, it seems any type of vent wouldn't really be functional. I was just hanging on every description detail while reading and it was mentioned briefly it an indirect kinda context

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read earlier on the thread a Sheepskin rear vent was "wrong". Where rear vents on Sheepskins unseen at the time?

Sheepskin coats can vary quite a lot. I doubt there was one type that was more particularly skinhead, as long as it wasn't an Afghan coat (=hippies)

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Sheepskin coats can vary quite a lot. I doubt there was one type that was more particularly skinhead, as long as it wasn't an Afghan coat (=hippies)
Funny, an Afghan coat would be more climate appropriate for me.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Another item I read about earlier, but never had any empirical experience with unpiped surfer jackets. This is what I think it looks like from the description, but with a zipper
Screenshot_20211203-103102_Chrome.jpg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
The only thing I wore in my youth that had the proper style and dimensions were a pair of DM longwing brouges. Now I have collected all but some of the more costly items, like a real nice Crombie or some Alden brouges, maybe an authentic G9. Funny thing is very few within my large city can identify the smaller details. Even people I know that are or were skin are basically punks and care little about those details. The fashion dynamic in San Diego is to look like you just got off the couch. I feel sussed but I'm the only one who knows. Just an observation, I'm neva gone change.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple and it's hard to go wrong. Look at StaPrest, it's difficult to say a thing about them.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Keep it simple and it's hard to go wrong. Look at StaPrest, it's difficult to say a thing about them.
That's great advice. I'm not trying to get too flash, but some of those higher end items really tied everything together IMO. StaPrest is the best. Check out these relics I just got of e Bay.

Attachments

• 16385825002828274915961107249196.jpg
    16385825002828274915961107249196.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 16385825826678983177111403770588.jpg
    16385825826678983177111403770588.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 59

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another item I read about earlier, but never had any empirical experience with unpiped surfer jackets. This is what I think it looks like from the description, but with a zipper View attachment 1714179

Much more like the one below. They were de rigeur in NW England in about 1967. Mainly navy blue with slightly darker cuffs. Some ice-blue with navy cuffs, very occasionally red with navy cuffs. A true mod item.

Surfer.jpg

The kid sitting next to George Harrison in this still from Magical Mystery Tour is wearing one.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 08.34.43.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads