• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Roddy Moreno

Reaction score
Talking about Jamaica always reminds me Roddy Moreno's sentence from Skinhead Attitude document which many skinheads of today take as holy truth: "Skinheads wouldn't exist without Jamaica". What's the originals' opinion on this sentence?
Skinheads wouldn't exist as it is without the Jamaican influence in style and music.
short, turned up jeans, bright socks, pork pie hats etc were all Jamaican influenced along with countless Skinhead songs by Jamaican artists. Interestingly the style originated in the USA and came to the UK via Jamaica.
Picture, Watts 1966.
Watts-1966.jpg

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same photoset but according to this they are wearing Ivy, which we all know was by that time just the default American clothing, available from various London shops since the late 50s, dabbled in by early mods, etc

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/17/..._bsHBXWj0pj4tVBSVMHd-KS2z1dQvX18i8u69XkiQuG7w

Typical Ivy League photo from the early 60s for comparison...

46cef50be721b1db07c67e845585e974-jpg.965150

Then there is this image from 1963, loafers, short trousers, popover. Ivy you might say, only it isn't, it's DAKS, it's Scotland, it's more general and more nameless, it's just the general 60s Western trend of resort wear/leisure wear crossing over from the elite into the masses.

1.DAKS+63.jpg

https://retrodundee.blogspot.com/2010/04/draffens-daks-ad-1963.html

Last edited:

Jamie©️

Reaction score
Probably the most famous Donkey jacket wearer back then was Stan Ogden a character in Coronation Street,perhaps Britains answer to Rodney Harrington ?.

Well I made it to page 1650, but I’m afraid I’m gonna have to chuck my hand in there chaps. Loved the early stories and discoveries of each other’s styles etc, but persevered and got (with a fair bit of effort) through as far as that but sadly the stories seemed to have dried up and I got bored with it turning into a modern clothing recommendation/review type discussion.

Have to say though - Inks was one genuinely effortlessly funny fella, but the post of the thread which had me properly laughing is above. Absolutely fantastic.

Thanks again to you all though for giving me a very entertaining and enjoyable read over the last few weeks.

Cheers

Jamie

PS I’m off to have a crack at The Look Goes On now though ?

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
Anyway, back to some boring modern clothing/review sort of stuff that's ruined the thread.
Funeral season is upon us, and the only black whistle I had was sharkskin. Not really appropriate graveside/industrial oven-aft attire. I picked up a black gabardine US made Brooks Brothers job. A 3/2 jacket that looks terrible as a 3 button because of the lapel width. The pants were single pleat, which I thought I could live with, but couldn't, so I had my seamster convert them to flat front.
Got some Italian made Brooks Brothers gloves to go with as well. Lots of new BB stuff about for next to f**k-all since they got into trouble.
Dunno why I f**king bother though. Most of the send-offs I attend have all the gravity of an orbiting space station and are just as hard to get home from.
funerial.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, back to some boring modern clothing/review sort of stuff that's ruined the thread.
Funeral season is upon us, and the only black whistle I had was sharkskin. Not really appropriate graveside/industrial oven-aft attire. I picked up a black gabardine US made Brooks Brothers job. A 3/2 jacket that looks terrible as a 3 button because of the lapel width. The pants were single pleat, which I thought I could live with, but couldn't, so I had my seamster convert them to flat front.
Got some Italian made Brooks Brothers gloves to go with as well. Lots of new BB stuff about for next to f**k-all since they got into trouble.
Dunno why I f**king bother though. Most of the send-offs I attend have all the gravity of an orbiting space station and are just as hard to get home from.
View attachment 1710086
Very MODern Inkks!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1710086
You’ve done well here @Inkss matey.
Although I have to say I don’t mind the current trend for more upbeat funerals. I did a post recently mentioning two funerals I’d had to attend, one trad / formal and one more current where black was not allowed and bright colours encouraged.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve done well here @Inkss matey.
Although I have to say I don’t mind the current trend for more upbeat funerals. I did a post recently mentioning two funerals I’d had to attend, one trad / formal and one more current where black was not allowed and bright colours encouraged.

I went to a funeral where bright colours had been encouraged. I went in bright colours. Every other sod was in black.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a funeral where bright colours had been encouraged. I went in bright colours. Every other sod was in black.
Went to a mate of mine's funeral last week, he was only 53 and killed himself. We were asked not to wear black, so I wore a dark grey number with a black/white striped tie, and blue crombie style overcoat.
Most people just wore their everyday attire and we all know what that looks like!
What pissed me off was how many people said to me, "how smart I looked", and I thought to myself no it's just showing respect.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
And when do we bury this thread ? Ha ha.

Without joking @Yorky, a mate of the same age recently committed suicide too, a Covid side effect as he couldn’t stand the isolation. Third one I knew killed by the virus, if in his case it was indirectly, the two others died of Covid.
No need to say we French don’t forget our catholic traditions, and for God’s sake we still dress up and in black for funerals.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get upbeat funerals, there's a time to recognise sadness and loss. We still do wakes, which can get quite joyful, but the funeral is a solemn obligation. For me black suit jacket, dark grey suit trousers, white shirt, black tie, black shoes, black socks.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's a cultural thing. In New Orleans a funeral consists of a parade and a jazz band.

When I go, I'll want my family and friends to do whatever they need for closure, whether its weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, or dressing up and having fun. It won't be about me, it'll be for the people who need to carry on without me.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said on the post, it’s entirely the prerogative of the surviving family. And with a bit of luck and consideration they’ll match up the ceremony to the personality of the departed. My sister was very outgoing and never missed an opportunity for a sarcy comment or a piss taking punch line. She knew her time was up and she discussed the funeral with her girls. Having a load of people dressed in black moping around with long faces was the absolute last thing she wanted. If other people want it that way I don’t mind dusting off the black.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to say we French don’t forget our catholic traditions, and for God’s sake we still dress up and in black for funerals.
Good for you, though things were better in the days of the Latin mass and lengthy traditions. It all went a bit awry post the second Vatican council.

I was surprised at the number of adults who had never attended a funeral. I have been to so many since my primary school days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads