• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Jamie©️

Reaction score
One thing this thread has really brought home to me is how much the original skinhead look must have influenced how my mum and my sisters dressed me as a kid. I know, as a pretty left leaning Liverpudlian family, they wouldn’t have wanted their little angel dressing like what they would have seen as right wing thugs, but I used to get the piss ripped out of me for my “skinhead” look by my oi boy mates. With their grade 1s, their knee high DMs, skin tight bleached jeans and MA1s etc and me with my no 4 and “grandad clothes” it was no wonder really.

It’s funny to look back now at the grief I got for wearing a sheepskin (that one cuts deep - I still can’t bear them 40 years later ?) and being called Flare-Oh for having straight leg Sta Prest instead of having my mum take them in so much they were more like leggings.

It was only when my youngest sister (who clearly disliked the bonehead look) started bringing mods, traditional looking/2 Tone style skinheads and scooter boys home and I saw how some of them dressed I actually appreciated this look and carried it on pretty much all my life.

I always remember as well interrogating my parents about their style when they were young. Apparently they were just before the Teds and my mum always described their style as Ivy Look. My dad was in the merchant navy and so spent most of his youth sailing between Liverpool and New York and apparently used to buy all his clothes over there, then when they met he would also get her stuff there too.

Last edited:

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score
Reporting back: I got the lands end tailored fit no iron chinos a few weeks ago in gray. I am pretty pleased with them, especially given that they cost about as much as Dickies 874s. I like the rise, it works well with belt or braces. They are a bit looser in the thigh than I'd like, but maybe I should just do more squats. These are 32 waist 29 length.

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_125407139.jpg
    IMG_20211111_125407139.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 116

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing this thread has really brought home to me is how much the original skinhead look must have influenced how my mum and my sisters dressed me as a kid. I know, as a pretty left leaning Liverpudlian family, they wouldn’t have wanted their little angel dressing like what they would have seen as right wing thugs, but I used to get the piss ripped out of me for my “skinhead” look by my oi boy mates. With their grade 1s, their knee high DMs, skin tight bleached jeans and MA1s etc and me with my no 4 and “grandad clothes” it was no wonder really.

It’s funny to look back now at the grief I got for wearing a sheepskin (that one cuts deep - I still can’t bear them 40 years later ?) and being called Flare-Oh for having straight leg Sta Prest instead of having my mum take them in so much they were more like leggings.

It was only when my youngest sister (who clearly disliked the bonehead look) started bringing mods, traditional looking/2 Tone style skinheads and scooter boys home and I saw how some of them dressed I actually appreciated this look and carried it on pretty much all my life.

I always remember as well interrogating my parents about their style when they were young. Apparently they were just before the Teds and my mum always described their style as Ivy Look. My dad was in the merchant navy and so spent most of his youth sailing between Liverpool and New York and apparently used to buy all his clothes over there, then when they met he would also get her stuff there too.

Hi Jamie, I'm over in Yorkshire. Like a lot of middle aged Brits I'm definately influenced by Mod/Skin/2 tone culture. Not an outright full on 60s look in my case but definately some elements of it have found a place in my wardrobe over the years.

I follow this thread for a bit of inspiration, and it's one of the cooler more friendly parts of SF in my opinion ?

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing this thread has really brought home to me is how much the original skinhead look must have influenced how my mum and my sisters dressed me as a kid.

Strangely enough I logged on to post this from 1973. Lots of influences percolating back into the mainstream, though I think even we at age 10 had left surfer jackets behind by that time

Kays-menswear-1973-c-1280x858.jpg

Kays-menswear-1973-l-1280x866.jpg

Kays-menswear-1973-k-1280x881.jpg

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough I logged on to post this from 1973. Lots of influences percolating back into the mainstream, though I think even I had left surfer jackets behind by that time

Kays-menswear-1973-c-1280x858.jpg

Kays-menswear-1973-l-1280x866.jpg

Kays-menswear-1973-k-1280x881.jpg
The sheepskins look quite authentic even though they are not. .

Jamie©️

Reaction score
The sheepskins look quite authentic even though they are not. .

I quite like the suit bottom right actually

Hi Jamie, I'm over in Yorkshire. Like a lot of middle aged Brits I'm definately influenced by Mod/Skin/2 tone culture. Not an outright full on 60s look in my case but definately some elements of it have found a place in my wardrobe over the years.

I follow this thread for a bit of inspiration, and it's one of the cooler more friendly parts of SF in my opinion ?

Hi mate

I’m the same - I don’t dress like a skin/mod to the letter but most of the style blends nicely and is timeless. I don’t have a “that’s not authentic” attitude, just if I like something, I wear it and a lot of what I like is of that style.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the suit bottom right actually

You are right it is a good yin , and would be perfect with a shorter jacket and covered buttons but by the time of the catalogue jackets and vents had gotten a good deal longer. .

Gsvs5

Reaction score
My dad was in the merchant navy and so spent most of his youth sailing between Liverpool and New York and apparently used to buy all his clothes over there, then when they met he would also get her stuff there too.

Hi Jamie and welcome…..
I was also in the Merchant Navy and sailed with loads of Scousers.Fantastic humor and lifelong friends.My time in there was mid 70,s between Southampton/New York.
Also I was heavily influenced by two older Mod sisters.
Good to have some fresh inpit and point of view to bring the thread back to life.
I rarely post these days as I’ve exhausted my recollections ,but still keep an eye on here in the hope that there will be a flurry of relevant activity again .

Swampster

Reaction score
I have just sold a similar suit. I suspect it was from around the same period though no flares.
I only wore it a couple of times - I didn't much like the material.

Jamie©️

Reaction score
Hi Jamie and welcome…..
I was also in the Merchant Navy and sailed with loads of Scousers.Fantastic humor and lifelong friends.My time in there was mid 70,s between Southampton/New York.
Also I was heavily influenced by two older Mod sisters.
Good to have some fresh inpit and point of view to bring the thread back to life.
I rarely post these days as I’ve exhausted my recollections ,but still keep an eye on here in the hope that there will be a flurry of relevant activity again .

Hello mate

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah you got a lot of Scousers join the Merchant Navy for obvious reasons. Unfortunately there were four older sisters in my house when I was growing up (and three daughters now I’m growing old) but on the plus side, I was exposed to so many teen cults - mods, skinheads, teds, rockabillys, soul boys, scooter boys, punks, New Romantics, bikers - you name it, my sisters brought it home, much to the disgust of my dad most of the time.

I’m sad to say I’m far more of a reader than a poster and most of the things I feel like I could comment on were posted 10+ years ago ?. It’s a shame so many dropped out of this thread (I’m up to page 940 and already noticing people missing) but heartening to see it is still going and the likes of yourself, and the lads above are still about.

I’ll do my best to try and come up with some relevant input.

Do the meets/events still go on?

Cheers

Jamie

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Can’t recall any recent meetings ?
Possibly some members are in contact privately.Also it seems that the core of prolific contributors are divided between the UK/US with the exception of Clouseau.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Do the meets/events still go on?
Cheers
Jamie
Can’t recall any recent meetings ?
Possibly some members are in contact privately.Also it seems that the core of prolific contributors are divided between the UK/US with the exception of Clouseau.

Well as Jamie said "many (posters) have been lost over the years", so the meet ups are not really relevant now, we had some great ones with the originals posters several years ago.
Another problem is of course the pandemic. I've not been to UK for two years now, and i can't tell when will be the next time.
Several posters (me included) also lost interest in this thread, even if we visit it from time to time.
Some of us became friends, so indeed we are in contact privately.
Cheers
C.

Jamie©️

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose unfortunately I’ve well and truly missed the boat on this one and to be fair I don’t blame you all losing interest - I’ve just got to page 1002 and it is definitely starting to feel like you’re all feeling it’s all been said. But I’ll keep ploughing on (I’m determined to get all the way through) and will still keep an eye for the book.

So cheers fellas for what you had a part in creating - it’s an absolute goldmine of info and has kept me entertained for a few weeks and hopefully a few more to come.

Before I shoot off, I’m just going to leave you with this one. After Clouseau commented the other night I suddenly thought “oh wow - I haven’t seen those films for years” . So stuck one on yesterday and what did I spot...? ?
67DE0E45-1F5C-4CB9-A871-3E1CB2C8125C.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads