• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Today I wore this pale green shirt I picked up from a thrift store a few years ago. It's LL Bean, which is not a brand I've ever associated with "the look." But I like it. Collar is not as nicely shaped as Nik's.

Can't see as well but I'm wearing Thorogood oil rigger boots (came in dark brown; I polish with oxblood) and rigid denim slim cut wranglers which unfortunately look like skinny jeans from the bad camera angle. They're not.
Have you got a Wrangler jacket to complete the look?

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Speaking of wearing a sack. I went to Brimfield on Thursday and found a nice lot of 60s stuff. One of those booths where all the clothing was $3 a piece. Got these hopsack permanent press trousers by H.I.S.
They are a bit low rise. They remind me more of what The Small Faces would have worn than what skinheads wore.
IMG_20210912_225131470.jpg
IMG_20210912_231900307.jpg
IMG_20210912_232332154.jpg
IMG_20210912_234458533.jpg

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_141607474.jpg
    IMG_20210918_141607474.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 60

Ivyskin89

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Double denim challenge BTW

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Basset. The British army "Woolly pully", you were lucky at least yours fitted the one i had was so long it looked like a wool dress on me ! not a nice look,you dont see them now...i wonder why ?

An old post I know but I couldn’t resist replying. The Woolly Pully is a long garment and the intention is to warm extremities! This is useful on a long, cold hike for example. It does however fold nicely which means that you don’t have to pull it all the way down. Occasionally I pull it down at the back to cover my backside if I’m wearing it while working at my desk: it has the effect of cushioning or even silencing farts!

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Ska, Reggae, Bluebeat, Rock Steady even Calypso was 'our' music for a short period of time. A late summer visit to Notting Hill carnival was a yearly highlight. The music press was generally disparaging of the sounds we liked. Middle class journalists didn't understand white working class kids getting into West Indian music and they put us and the music down. Not that it bothered me. What did upset me was how many of my mates also turned against the music only a few years later.

And yes what are Cockney jackets? Are they the ones worn by Adam Faith in 'Budgie'?

That’s really interesting as I was thinking about Skinheads earlier today after an exchange with @covskin on another thread in which we mentioned the 1970s. Skins in the late 70s were often unfairly associated with the National Front and the British Movement and that stereotype persists. While that phenomenon certainly did exist and I remember it, the roots of the skin culture were very much in Ska and other Black and Black-influenced music - therefore very much anti-racist or at least open to Black culture.

I’m a Zero crop now - I’m thin on top anyway and so I just have it cut as short as possible. Too old to be a skin I’m afraid. …?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads