• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
Relco are tighter/narrower in the legs. And they're definitely put together differently
r703.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad they’re poly viscose not poly cotton.
I have a couple of solid Relco SPs which are poly cotton but the PoW and Houndstooth I have are Poly viscose. Hardly great quality but OK for when I fly for work and want to arrive un-rumpled.
The best sta pressts I have are old Merc poly cotton. I think they were the Lord John model. Got them in sky and dark blue. Don’t think that specific style / model has been available in a long time.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
The Retroseventy2 Sta Prest.
View attachment 1646571
Quite well put together. (As good as the usual suspects I reckon)
Less narrow in the legs as others and quite comfortable. Definitely no arguments on the price. Not bad.
View attachment 1646575

Might try some of their other colours (not f***ing burgundy though)
Not bad at all, may try a navy pair to wear with my navy suit jacket and waistcoat sometime, don't look too tight like the other jobbers

Inkss

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of the navy ones as well.
Also picked up this Silk/Lambswool/Linen jacket from the US and a tab-collar shirt (which I'll probably never wear, but it was only a tenner/$14)
caad.jpg

Jacket was $32 (£56 after shipping and import tax) Doesn't need alterations and it's union made/transported, so not a bad price.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
Nice jacket, i got some 1970's jackets from preworn ltd ebay recently but they are 2 button so not exactly mod, not bad though better than whats on offer in most stores these days.

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading this thread for some years now and finally thought I'd make an account and post. Apologies in advance for the length.

First of all, I wanted to say how much I've appreciated all your contributions here. To name a few: MoM, Get Smart, Yorky, Thin White Duke, IvySkin -- your pictures and thoughts in particular have inspired, informed, and impressed me. Sorry we don't see more from the first two posters in recent times.

I'll admit up front: I am way too young to be an original, I'm American, and I can't claim to have ever been a real skinhead. I got into punk music in my teens and dressed that way for a while, then discovered oi and traditional skinhead style. I still remember the moment: I was in a record store in Germany around 1999, saw well-dressed, hard-looking Swedish skins on an album cover -- Guttersnipe, "Never Surrender Never Give In" -- and knew that was how I wanted to look. It's influenced my style ever since. Weather permitting, I mostly wear harringtons (Jump the Gun and Ben Sherman), an old Levi's denim trucker, Uniqlo lambswool sweaters (v neck or cardigan), rigid denim Wrangler slim cowboy-cut jeans hemmed up short, Charles Tyrwhitt slim cut chinos (I'm tall and prefer the higher rise on those and the Wranglers) and slim Brooks Brothers button down shirts (plus a few Ben Sherman, Fred Perry, and miscellaneous thrift store finds with 3 finger collars). Harder to dress sharp in 90 degree weather and working from home, but I try. I'll see if I can get a decent picture to post one of these days.

Probably my biggest departure from the consensus here is that I mostly wear union-made work boots (Thorogood and Danner). I'm a proud union member, and my wide feet and the insoles I use for plantar fasciitis wouldn't work with the DMs and Getta Grips I wore in my youth anyway. (Though I do wear brogues to the office and church with a 3/4 insole.) And I know most of you have moved on from them, but I wear skinny clip-on braces fairly often. Just not when I'm wearing jeans with turn-ups or my 9-eye steel toed boots -- that feels cartoonish.

Finally, for anyone who's made it through this rambling post, a question on the subject of boots. For years I've been wanting to give Solovair a try. Corresponding with NPS and looking at their online last guide, I've learned the derby boots are the widest non-steel toe option with the classic airwear soles. (I would've preferred astronauts but they're slimmer apparently.) I know they have free returns but living in the USA I thought I should do my due diligence before putting them to the expense of shipping. I wondered if anyone here with wider feet has ever worn Solovairs. If so, is it worth a try?

PS to IvySkin - I've been vegetarian, though not vegan, for the last 20 years and am at least considering Solovair's vegan option, though I do wonder if it would be as capable of stretch over time in terms of width.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading this thread for some years now and finally thought I'd make an account and post. Apologies in advance for the length.

First of all, I wanted to say how much I've appreciated all your contributions here. To name a few: MoM, Get Smart, Yorky, Thin White Duke, IvySkin -- your pictures and thoughts in particular have inspired, informed, and impressed me. Sorry we don't see more from the first two posters in recent times.

I'll admit up front: I am way too young to be an original, I'm American, and I can't claim to have ever been a real skinhead. I got into punk music in my teens and dressed that way for a while, then discovered oi and traditional skinhead style. I still remember the moment: I was in a record store in Germany around 1999, saw well-dressed, hard-looking Swedish skins on an album cover -- Guttersnipe, "Never Surrender Never Give In" -- and knew that was how I wanted to look. It's influenced my style ever since. Weather permitting, I mostly wear harringtons (Jump the Gun and Ben Sherman), an old Levi's denim trucker, Uniqlo lambswool sweaters (v neck or cardigan), rigid denim Wrangler slim cowboy-cut jeans hemmed up short, Charles Tyrwhitt slim cut chinos (I'm tall and prefer the higher rise on those and the Wranglers) and slim Brooks Brothers button down shirts (plus a few Ben Sherman, Fred Perry, and miscellaneous thrift store finds with 3 finger collars). Harder to dress sharp in 90 degree weather and working from home, but I try. I'll see if I can get a decent picture to post one of these days.

Probably my biggest departure from the consensus here is that I mostly wear union-made work boots (Thorogood and Danner). I'm a proud union member, and my wide feet and the insoles I use for plantar fasciitis wouldn't work with the DMs and Getta Grips I wore in my youth anyway. (Though I do wear brogues to the office and church with a 3/4 insole.) And I know most of you have moved on from them, but I wear skinny clip-on braces fairly often. Just not when I'm wearing jeans with turn-ups or my 9-eye steel toed boots -- that feels cartoonish.

Finally, for anyone who's made it through this rambling post, a question on the subject of boots. For years I've been wanting to give Solovair a try. Corresponding with NPS and looking at their online last guide, I've learned the derby boots are the widest non-steel toe option with the classic airwear soles. (I would've preferred astronauts but they're slimmer apparently.) I know they have free returns but living in the USA I thought I should do my due diligence before putting them to the expense of shipping. I wondered if anyone here with wider feet has ever worn Solovairs. If so, is it worth a try?

PS to IvySkin - I've been vegetarian, though not vegan, for the last 20 years and am at least considering Solovair's vegan option, though I do wonder if it would be as capable of stretch over time in terms of width.

They stretch a bit and will last forever. Never have to worry about them breaking down because they're not made of someone's decaying skin. It's important to not create the demand for atrocities which is what happens when people buy animal products. Hope you can make the connection and go vegan.

Cheers

Nik

P.S. I have a few pairs of vegan cherry red Solovair astronauts left if you're interested. Size 8 size 9 and size 10

Inkss

Reaction score
Retroseventy2 Navy 'prest' strides
pretobongo.jpg

Decent cut, decent rise. Again, that's on me. Not sure what the fit would be on someone who isn't 'a stocky little c**t' (my wife has a somewhat harsh turn of phrase)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads