• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Let's talk about this. If this is true, it reframes everything for me. I knew about the collegiates and greasers. But it blows my mind that they were referred to as skinheads in America in the 60s.
Screenshot_20210617-123534~2.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet every country had their own take on it
Yeah like the Mods in London and Drugstore crowd in Paris. I wonder how much cross pollination was happening there but I’d guess not much.
I’ve seen some skins / suedes claim that their look borrowed from that of the Apollo era astronauts. The timing would be about right but I still find this to be a bit of a stretch.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My take is that it seemed to happen independently.

Having thought a little more about it, if the UK greebs were, by the late 60s, starting to borrow culturally from US Angels, then it is possible that the term did make the trip across the pond. But, yes, it's a bit of a stretch too.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

An enjoyable nostalgic read that mirrors the experience of many on here.

Inkss

Reaction score
Solovair Toast 'monkey shoes'
I actually like the look of these compared to their full-on take on the monkey boot. Prefer the original non-air monkey tread on trad chimpers.
solli.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pics seeing as we are in the final and its Wimbledon this weekend.
Sweatshirt with Year of England's last cup win and the year of my birth, my dad says that I watched it, but can't rember as I was only about 4 months old.
IMG_3483.jpg

A few new Fred Perry's
Navy untipped MiE
IMG_3605.jpg

Knitted FP top (salesman sample from TKMaxx) and black monkey jacket on the chair beside me.
IMG_0073.jpg

Sunspel Henley with an Italian affogato al caffe
IMG_3470.jpg

benj84

Reaction score
Sweatshirt with Year of England's last cup win and the year of my birth, my dad says that I watched it, but can't rember as I was only about 4 months old. View attachment 1636530
A few new Fred Perry's
Navy untipped MiE
View attachment 1636532
Knitted FP top (salesman sample from TKMaxx) and black monkey jacket on the chair beside me.
View attachment 1636533
View attachment 1636531
Are those adidas rekords

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sweatshirt with Year of England's last cup win and the year of my birth, my dad says that I watched it, but can't rember as I was only about 4 months old. View attachment 1636530
A few new Fred Perry's
Navy untipped MiE
View attachment 1636532
View attachment 1636533
View attachment 1636531
I like that plain (untipped) MiE FP. I’ve got a vintage Navy one like that (my older one), and bought a few years ago the MiE Black (with yellow laurel) that is the same of one of the first I had early 80s.

02D36F12-D78B-4D9D-ACE6-611D56E2D27E.jpeg
Good luck for Sunday !

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those adidas rekords
They are called Overdubs, but apart from the name they are identical to Rekords came with a spare set of green laces as well, haven't tried them yet.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that plain (untipped) MiE FP. I’ve got a vintage Navy one like that (my older one), and bought a few years ago the MiE Black (with yellow laurel) that is the same of one of the first I had early 80s.

View attachment 1636543 Good luck for Sunday !
They are far better quality than the standard FP polos, and fit well, the way that I remember to.
Got a couple in white and black as well

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads